Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellowstone Angler 5 Wt. Shootout
The 2015 Yellowstone Angler 5 Wt. Shootout is now online. Very interesting read. I think they do a good job in trying to accurately describe a rods performance. So, if you are looking for a new 5 Wt. this might help.

Here is the link:
http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-re...optistream
[signature]
Interesting read sums it up.
[signature]
is this the guy that has some kind of deal with one of the rod manufacturers that he tests? and some how ever year said rod wins?
[signature]
Well since Hardy and Sage have won in the past, I would say no but they certainly do like Loomis - although they panned the original NRX in lower weights as too stiff.
[signature]
interesting. i might be thinking about some other fella then
[signature]
If you read the categories of points you can read "how" they pick the best of the best. I am not sure if there is actually water test with these choices or rather field/dry. Some of these categories are moot to me which would change the number one pick to the average person.
We all need something to believe in however...this is a start[crazy] Just not mine.
[signature]
I think they do a very good job of trying to be objective with their tests. George even states that he has helped design for Loomis, Sage, and Tom Morgan (formerly of Winston). They use several testers for their results and actually use a combination of grass and hoops and on the water. Take a look at their 8 wt shootout, they were in both Boca Grande and Cuba testing them.

Having said all of that, there is obviously going to be some bias built into them, just like all of us, based on their style of fishing. They are in Livingston, in the Paradise Valley, with the Yellowstone flowing right through town and some of the most famous spring creeks just outside of town. If they don't want to fish those, they can make day trips to the Mo, Blackfoot, Maddison, Beaverhead, Jeff, Ruby, Big Hole, Gallatin, the Park, blah, blah, blah. The point is that I think they are looking, in this case, for the best rod to throw big foam on the Yellowstone (once runoff subsides, it's big stoneflies and then terrestrials with droppers) one day and size #18 PMDs or Sulphurs the next on, say, DePuy Spring Creek.

Obviously being able to try rods and find the one that fits your fishing and casting style is more complex than this shootout but it is helpful.
[signature]
Well put Drew. I really like that they found the BIIIx and the One as a tie....(I loved the One, not so much the BIIIx) So peoples choices do vary.
[signature]
Nice read, wouldnt mind getting my hands on a Scott Radian Rod. [Wink]
[signature]
I agree. It's interesting that they ranked the One and the BIIIx the same because they are so different. The One is incredibly fast and stiff (Like the original NRX - not the NRX LP) and the BIIIx is, well a Winston. I much prefer the BIIIx through 5 weight (I have 4 of them up to a 6wt), but it is too soft for me for heavy nymph rigs or big dry/dropper rigs like Chubby/Rubberlegs combos. That's where I think the faster rods like the One start to shine. So for me: slower, softer rods for dries and faster, stiffer rods for nymphs/streamers.

Check out their 2014 8wt reel shootout - right up your alley: giant stillwater rainbows. Man, that's a rough life. See, they do test the gear in real world situations (if you can call Jurassic Lake real world).

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-re...amsonreels
[signature]
It would be hard to test out a reel without something on the end. I remember Orvis promoting one of there drags with a motorcycle...LOL
Again, and understand, I love Nauts. I Think they are a sexy reel, but I know several steelers and saltwater fisher that claim they are .....well junk. This is an 8wt as well.
It's all good and I am sure it will help many.
I too am a Winston fan with 2 BIIx, an LT and a JWF. When I won the casting comp I chose the BIIx over the Ax...good choice for me.
[signature]
I remember those ads. I've caught permit and tarpon on those Orvis reels.

I really think its a Ford vs. Chevy thing. Everyone has their favorites - for often no real rational reason, but just as often for very good reasons. It's just good we have so much variety. I know saltwater guides that swear by Nautilus and it seems that a whole crop of young salt guides are rep'ing the Hatch reels. I think there is a whole lot really good equipment out there right now - and not just the really expensive stuff.
[signature]
Agree. But seriously, did you ever think you would be looking at an 8 hundred dollar graphite rod.. Crazy.
[signature]
Sometimes when I'm honest with myself, I'll look at my rod tube holder and see several in that price range that I haven't even strung up in several years and just shake my head.
[signature]