Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/12 Mantua Report
Rain, rain, and more rain.

Fished for 2 1/2 hrs or so on the west side and the action was slow slow slow. No perch or gills to be had, only planter rainbows.

Didn't want to venture out near the middle as the ice is quickly getting soft. But it was still 5" where I was at, even if not as solid as I'd like. Only a couple other folks out there as well.

Sadly, the action at that pond might be all but done for me. Everyone I've talked to has noticed a sharp decline at that pond.

Met up with a DNR officer taking a poll. Seems they're getting opinions on the future of Mantua species and may be implementing changes in the future. I told them to 'do away' with the trout and maybe the warm-water species will thrive a bit more. He agreed with me. He also told me that it's very dangerous venturing out near the inlet and along that whole S.E. area, as well as out near the middle regions so fishermen you've been warned.

Let's hope for a cold spell.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I may have to hit that pond this summer.
[signature]
He agreed with you on the trout? Wow - hope his comrades see eye to eye.

Maybe some Crappie, or Walleye!

The trout there do get pretty hunky, but I know a lot of the ice anglers don't favor them.

What time did you get out there? I suspect there's still a couple fish left in there, beyond the bows.
Ya, Yote, he agreed with me about the elimination of trout. Sure they're fun for kids to catch, but I think the other species would better without slimers competing for their food sources. Just my .02 cents of course.

Few
trout in there get hunky. Most are of the 'finless freddie' variety anywhere from 7"-12". I guess if that floats yer boat, by all means...

I didn't start fishing today until close to 11:00, and didn't make an entire day of it...way too slow for my liking.
[signature]
++++++1 on thinning the trout out everywhere in my opinion!!! Yea sure there fun and easy for the kids the catch but trying to get them to eat those slimmers is a different story. But put a perch in front of them there will be nothing left for my kids anyways.
[signature]
Hell ya …….crappie! hahaha
[signature]
I for one love the trout in there. When other fish slow down in the winter, I can always plan on getting some trout. Never leave skunked. They also keep my boy interest in the fall before ice. They also do a good job on the dink perch. Every trout I get through the ice is burping up baby perch.
[signature]
I may be wrong but I thought planter trout were a good food source for largemouth bass.

There should be a good reason to take out the trout other than bias against them. And I don't believe they outcompete the other species for forage.
[signature]
Lavaman,

I was surveyed by a group of 3 DWR officers last week, one of which was the Biologist. You're right, they are definitely considering managing Mantua as a warm water fishery. This makes good sense to me, the lake is too shallow and warm for trout most of the year. The Perch, Bluegill, and Bass are self sustaining. In my opinion, why add a bunch of trout to take food away from the warm water (great eating) fish.

I asked how the poll was looking so far. They said it was about 50/50.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Never thought I would witness DWR even considering removal of trout from a multi-species pond. But sounds like they are semi serious about it.

I used to love fishing Mantua...mostly for the non trout species. But it wasn't all bad to hook the occasional trout. And some trips would have been totally bust without a couple of slimers to bend my stick.

Haven't fished Mantua much in the past two or three years. Too many power boats in the summer and too many drilling dimbulbs in the winter. It is a lovely lake with a little solitude...but too small to favorably support "gatherings".

If I were asked my opinion I would probably say that merely reducing the numbers of hatchery pets would be a good compromise. Add a few to feed on their part of the food chain...and provide action for the perch-impaired. But don't dump so many that the ugly little things become pests.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Too bad it didn't treat ya better Derek. Same experience I've had the last year or so too.
I don't care what they do with it when it comes to trout, but I sure hope they don't go putting walleye in there, those fish would clean it out. Same goes for those dang muskies. They are sure fun to catch, but I'm not seeing a real decline in the size of fish I catch out of there except for the trout. Muskies or walleyes would ravage the pond, but I guess it would be hot for them for a few years before that happened.
That being said......I'm not a biologist and trust the ones that we have so whatever they decide I'm good with it.
[signature]
I haven't been surveyed, but I'd enthusiastically vote for discontinuing trout planting at Mantua. Cotton-fleshed planter trout are fine for kids to catch, but serve few other purposes, IMO.
[signature]
When I spoke with the Biologist last week, he said they were considering not planting trout any longer. There was no mention of planting any other species. It appears the other fish species in the pond are doing just fine without intervention.
[signature]
Cool! The trout were fun when they were bigger and fatter and not so many, but now they're just planters and not much fun in my opinion. Just bass and panfish would be great and cost nothing to stock since they are self sustaining.
[signature]
I don't fish Mantua as much as many of you but I do go there on occasion. In regards to those saying "away with the trout", my comment is what does it hurt? Those finless freddies are not outcompeting the warmwater fish for resources and seem to be providing decent action for the multitudes of ice anglers heading up there and not scoring bluegills and perch. They also seem to be a popular catch in the spring, before the water warms up. There was a fair bit of grumbling on here from warmwater guys when the DWR starting putting rainbows in Starvation again. Now, "Starvation steelhead" are quite an attraction up there and the warmwater action is still what it always was.

I suspect any declines in the warmwater fishing at Mantua is due to the increased popularity of the lake as a destination fishery for these fish.
[signature]
I agree with your reasoning, Mike. It's totally feasible (and beneficial) IMO, to get rid of the pesky planter trout in that lake. Why do we need them in there competing for food sources? Let the bass in there get bigger. Let the perch and gills get fatter. It won't hurt anything by taking out the finless freddies...or at least stop planting them and let them eventually thin out.

Plenty of trout in Hyrum for folks who want to chase 'em. Plus Hyrum is more sustainable for that species IMO.
[signature]
I agree with your line of thought, the trout are a great added benefit. I think stocking at least a few is a great idea. They balance the action when others go on strike. Plus as popular as that pond is for early ice action, it gives a lot of newby ice fishermen a chance to get their kids onto some fish. Removing trout isn't going to make the other species that much more plentiful so I expect it will result in the pond being fished out sooner each winter. I really don't fish that pond very much so I really don't care too much what they decide, but I think our forum verses the average fisherman is a little heavier weighted towards warm water species, where on average most Utah fishermen still go for trout. I think as you get more experienced you tend to get tired of eating trout and want more challenge to catch something different. Just my take don't burn me at the stake. J
[signature]
Don't fix something that isn't broke. The gills are plentiful and big. Same for the bass. I rarely catch perch and trout but seem to add to the action during the ice season.
[signature]
What about putting in a few chanel cats?? They seem to do well in other warm water fisherys.
[signature]
Channel Cats? hmmm I'd like to see Crappies in there, myself.

But I don't think they're interested in 'adding' another species...just trying to get a feel whether to remove the planter bows or not.

Such a shallow pond. Makes you wonder what would thrive and what wouldn't.
[signature]