Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fiberglass and midges
Been busy with 30-pound trout lately[Wink], but had an afternoon off to go hit the river below the dam. (Green/Flaming Gorge). It was pretty good for mid-January. There were rising fish from start to finish. No real hatch to speak of except for a stray midge, so the fish were very appreciative to see a big 'ole #18 or #20 floating their way. They didn't really care if it was an Adams, Griffith Gnat, or some kind of hanging midge. They weren't letting anything resembling food pass by. Most of 'em were pretty fat too, so they're finding something to eat besides midges, but that didn't deter the rises.

River was empty of humans, and hardly any sunlight directly in the deep canyon. The small flies and 6X was perfect for a couple of fiberglass rods, one being my very first fly rod I've recently resurrected, and the other one a sweetheart I just finished building a few weeks ago that felt wonderful this afternoon. I know, they're just sticks, but to me they're much more than that when they feel "just right" and almost cast themselves.

Fiberglass--Just like bamboo, only less expensive, stronger, and lighter.

[inline IMGP7819.JPG]

[inline IMGP7791.JPG]

[inline IMGP7796.JPG]

[inline IMGP7809.JPG]

[inline IMGP7780.JPG]

[inline IMGP7824.JPG]

[inline IMGP7820.JPG]

[inline IMGP7833.JPG]

Next up: 80 degrees, sunscreen, 7-weights, and tarpon!
[signature]
Great report. I need a Green fix soon. Love the glass also. Had my newest Epic out on the provo today. Didn't do as well as you, but just casting it was wonderful.
[signature]
Chunky rainbows plus glass! Can't beat that. I find that glass helps when fishing light tippet and small flies. Thanks for sharing
[signature]
Awesome!
[signature]
Thanks Jim, looks like a good time!!
[signature]
Nice report Jim. I can't say glass is "just" like bamboo. That's like saying TFO is just like Sage, a moped is just like Harley[Wink] Remember glass is a copy of Bamboo/[cool]
What glass rods you using?
[signature]
Well, I did qualify it by adding the "only" parts.[laugh] I guess I'm feeling that it is different than bamboo, in good ways, and my tastes are liking it a little better in the last year due to those "only better" parts. (lighter, cheaper, and stronger in most cases, with similar flex and load properties) I pulled my first fly rod, a Fenwick FF75, out of the basement last spring, and have been loving it ever since. I wish I had gone digging for it sooner, but then, I have plenty of bamboo.[blush]

I also just built that Lamiglas "Honey" in a 7 1/2 4wt, and will build a 8' 5wt. on the same blank next month. That's all I have now, though I did cast some friends' rods over the summer that all felt pretty good too.

I find myself some days wanting something heavier and softer, like bamboo, and then wanting to lighten up a bit with the glass. My "softer" graphites are taking a back seat lately. I don't own any fast rods except the 7 and 8 wts. I'll be throwing next weekend/week at Tarpon in Mexico![cool]

I like the variety in all of them, and have grown to appreciate the different characteristics between my 10-year old Sage Lightlines, and a 40-year-old Fenwick. As long as they have some flex and load easily, I probably like 'em. I'm hoping the 8' Lami. 5wt will be one of my Ranch go-to's this summer. Only 5 more months until the opener!

Speaking of mopeds, I need one for a shuttle bike.[:/]
[signature]
Fair enough. I have Glass from EC to Hardy. My bamboo is far from heavy. Sweet grass and Orvis so agree on price. Weight and strength, not so much.
I have a 7 foot 3 piece 4 weight Lamie honey.
[signature]
My "honey" is a two-peice.[Wink] The bamboos I have are slightly heavier than the glass equivalents of the same length and line weights, and I use a heavier reel on them for balance and feel. So, they're heavier by an ounce or two. The two glass rods I'm using balance with Hardy Featherweights. I don't have near the collection you have, but I'm sure there are a ton of combinations that end up lighter/heavier.

[inline IMGP7675.JPG]

I have yet to ever break a fiberglass rod, either fly or spin. However, I have broke Orvis and a Wright/Mcgill canes. Both were my fault high sticking with a 4x leader, but still . . . I'm a little careful with the angles I put bamboo under. With fiberglass, I don't even think about it.
[signature]
Hey Jim, that's a sweet looking 4 wt rod you've made. Solitude and throwing dries with a shorter lower wt rod to trout is a day hard to beat anytime of the year.
Enjoy your trip to Campeche. My next trip south won't be until the mini lobster season in the Keys. 2 days of snorkeling for spiny lobster and 5 days of fishing. The sacrifices one was to make for family[Wink].
[signature]
Lamiglass is such a sweet rod. My hubby made a 2 piece 4 and a 5. I hear the three piece is hard to come by now. Nice job.
I went with green for some reason:
[Image: Lami74w-1.jpg]

Oh my McFarland Parabolic is a very fun rod to cast.
[signature]
That looks like a lot of fun Jim!! I need to get out and throw some fur and feathers. My first love in fishing. I have been tempted to try and resurrect my grand dads old split bamboo and try it out. I have built modern flyrods but haven't dared to do something with the bamboo. I would hate to mess it up.
[signature]
Depending on the rod, Grand dad bamboo is nothing like Grand Dad glass. Bamboo was about all they had back then for fly fishing. There are a few that are collectors items but most were cheap, long and clubby. Worth refinishing if needed for keep sake but about it. They aren't fun to fish with. I tried my grand fathers and I literally had to put lead trolling line on a reel for backing to balance it out.
As for building, at least you can get the guides straight [laugh]
Probably best to dip the whole thing when done.
[signature]