Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Results
Well is wasn't 575 but we caught a good amount.

We Caught:
205 Stripers
4 Crappie
3 Walleye

Stripers were caught out in the fishing boats on jigging spoons and bait, also some on trolling setups. We also fished the docks with bait to catch a good portion of them.

Cheers
[signature]
Nice, was 575 last years total or just your best total ever? Any size to the crappie or eyes?
[signature]
I was with another group. We didn't do as well as ST, even though we used the same lures and sometimes fished within chatting distance of their boat.

It was my first trip to Powell, and after learning that the recommended lure combos worked on stripers, I decided to experiment with other things. Mistake. I caught only one striper on "other" lures and batted zero one full day. If I ever go again, I'll stick to the proven recipes.

I'll post photos and report further after I unpack.
[signature]
To WH2

Yes 575 was the best we ever did by a long shot. I used to look back at my old posts to see the number before but I had to change my name slighty in the last year because i could not remember my password and my email was messed up.

This was the fifth trip. here are the numbers on stripers as close as I can remember.

year 1 - 20 stripers
year 2 - 40 stripers
year 3 - 180 stripers with 28 nice walleyes
year 4 - 575 stripers
year 5 - 205 stripers

Again this is what I can remember.

Yes the walleyes and crappies was nice, just caught the walleyes while fishing for stripers.
[signature]
We are headed down next week and I would appreciate a little information if possible. Was there drinking water available at the dock? Were the public restrooms open? Most importantly, how deep were you fishing at night?
thanks
[signature]
Here are a few snaps I took of our group:

Sunrise #1

[Image: IMG_1066_zpsvzpy7t3f.jpg]

First day's catch (in a 120-qt cooler)

[Image: IMG_1081_zpsjumiuzlc.jpg]

The terrible weather we put up with:

[Image: IMG_1075_zpsvmtt3lbd.jpg]

Our amiable host/cook and filleter extraordinaire:

[Image: IMG_1095_zpss3qug09x.jpg]
[signature]
You Bet, here is what I know.

Both bathroom doors open on the dock, hot water to wash up a bit.

Potable water on the hose spicket right outside the bathroom was working.

Store open on the water from 9-4.

Showers were working up at the post office, hot water was good. No charge to get door code like years in the past.

Dock Fishing was good from 7 pm to 3 am. so pretty much anytime at night. We fished 1, 4, 6, 8, 13, 15, 18, 25 cranks off the bottom. 3/8 white painted head. try different depths. and when you catch one go right back to that spot. the fishing was never fast and furious but you would get bites every 10-20 minutes. If not move. Green lights seemed not to hurt. We aslo did not throw the fish in the water after we cleaned them, not sure if that matters or not, thats just what we do.

What did I miss.
[signature]
Correction to my 5 years of numbers. I think on year 3 we caught close to 300 stripers not 180.
[signature]
Nice haul![Smile]
[signature]
Awesome report! I have yet to get down there fishing, but I'm really trying to put a early May trip together with the family for no other reason than the fishing.
Those stripers sure look chunky!
[signature]
What were the air temps like down there (day and night)? Also, what general area of the lake were you guys fishing, if you don't mind me asking?
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. I was planning on taking water because the houseboat has been winterized but now I won't have to.
[signature]
Weather was nice.

Dock fishing was in our ice fishing gear and real comfortable. Right at freezing at night, little frost on the docks in the morning.

Sunny sunny sunny during the day mid to high 40's. sweatshirt and jeans with no wind, once the light light breeze would come up it was coverals and a jacket.

Boat fishing location.

We fished all bullfrog in the boats. Out past the bouy field to and just past dome rock from one side to the other. The depths seem to be about 42-48 when we caught the most of the fish. We had 1 awesome school and it was fast and furious for 15-20 minutes, landed 8 between 2 of us and missed 15 or so using Castmasters, hopkins like lure or a real image like lure and then gone done over. The finder was packet with masses of fish like 50 of them the bottom half of the depth sitting in 45 feet of water. Then an hour later we hit another good mini school and caught 3 real fast and missed 8 or 10 and then gone done over. Smaller lures seemed better this year still an ounce though. The shad are mostly smaller than last. We did troll up a few as well on glass shad or like lures on down riggers or a 1 oz bucktail with a walleye assasign salt and pepper with a chatuse sassy shad tail on leaded line. Also try running 2 1/4 oz white jig heads 18-20 inches apart with biat and just putt with you electric at like .1 or .2 mph, barley moving with a crank off the bottom. The fish were very spread out and that would be a good way to locate them as we did. All fish caught in the boats were caught down on the bottom, like the bottom 5 feet. You will see fish up higher suspended, my reccomndation is dont waste your time because we did often and never had a hit or caught a fish. Damn carp i say or some kind of non biting fish. waste of time. Even trolling we bounce the bottom and would come up just a bit so we were just off the bottom. The only exception to this is when we ran into that one awesome freak school and they we flipping everywhere in the bottom half of the water. 1 crazy exception.

One of our 3 fishing boats ran to Moki and managed 6 stripers and a crappie, I believe smaller cast masters is what they used for the stripers.

Boat fishing times were best from like 2:00-5:30 in the afternoon.

My schedule if i were going down thins weekend would be as follows, sleep till 9 or 10 am, walk arround work on the boat cut some bait, take a shower, eat linch take a nap, 2;00 roll out and hit boat fishing hard until dark, roll back to the housebaot, eat dinner, chill, putt on the ice fishing clothes and suck it up u on the docks until you cant stand it anymore. we caught fish as late as 4;30 in the morning, had some hot streaks between 1 and 3 am.

We this year and every year catch around 70% of or total stripers off the dock at night. we better numbers dock fishing.

Cheers, hope this helps..........
[signature]
Oh Yeah one more thing.

Striper quality was the best for sure compared to the last 5 years. last year we probably threw away around 30% of the fish because they were the skinny nasty sick ones.

This year from the smaller 1-1.5 pounders al the way to the 3 pounders the fish were very very healthy. we threw away like 8-10 fish that were the crappy skinny nasty sick ones. So a very low perctenage were the sick ones.

That was a real nice suprising plus in my book.

Again, Cheers.....
[signature]
Very nice!
[signature]