Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buzz-stick for ice-fishing
Any hard-water fisherman try the Buzz Stick yet? They claim that with the built-in vibrator that it actually gives better action for jigging than we humans can attain. Heh, the way I shiver, I probably don't need the Buzz Stick.
[signature]
i've seen them in stores i was wonder with all that "shaking" going on if you would see light biting fish ? but i can also say i saw a person useing one on a resent icefishing trip and he was catching fish though i don't think he was catching more fish then anyone else
[signature]
[Green] Well I cant lie, I read all the articles about that there buzz stick, how it was suppossed to give the jig more action then us mere mortals ever could, and how the action was irrisistable to all species of our gilled friends. Well heck I had to have me one of them there contraptions, so I runned myself down to the local mercantile and I gots me one, and I been using that there contration of modern science for now on 5 trips, to different fishin ponds for alls them different swimmers, aint got a D#@$ bite on it.[Tongue] So to be honest with you, I have found it not to be as advertised, and I am not very satisfied with it. I bought it in Medium light, for small panfish and modest trout, I have tried every jig, Ice fly, and plain old worm on it. I have a Vexilar FL8, and let me tell you if you dont have a vexilar do yourself this favor save the money you would have spent on the pole and go get one, every time I used the buzz button, nothing, Hell I even tried to put a little action on the jig while buzzing, every fish I marked would leave when I buzzed, but as soon as I quit and just went to pounding I would catch fish, and mark fish, I tested the heck out of it on trout, perch and crappie, but every time I used the buzz everyone else in the group would get bites and fish, NO not me. Also in the store the Rod handle was wrapped as usual, but the buzz button had tape on it, so I took the tape off, well let me tell you somthing when your using gloves as most Ice fishermen do and its 10 deg, and the wind is howling, well the rubber cover or buzz button comes off, this happens everytime you use it, and it did this repeatedly, hell ya'll ever try to find a watch battery in 2 feet of snow? it aint much fun. so after getting home from the first trip I retaped the rubber cover back on the rod. looks like crap but it keeps the cover over the battery, so if you want one real cheap, I will be posting it on the buy and sell board, so check it out I will make you one hell of a deal.
[signature]
I kinda figured as much,

I dont have one, nor was I tempted to perchas one eather, I know form my experiance in fishing in frigid temps is that the colder it is the slower you need to jig.

with the lures I use, that there contraption just would not have worked for me eather. now there are some guys who are useing ice flies,, they might have some luck with that thing-a-ma-bob. I wouldnt bet on it tho'

but with the craftsmanship you discribe, I would have seroius doubts that the rod would hang on to the handle....

I picked up a Blue Ice brand ice rod last year, I never cought as many fish ice fishing with any thing better than I did with this rod. It took me about 2 hours to get the presentation down, but once I did, I was fishing circles around my buddies.
[signature]
Thanks for the info! I've been shopping around for about a month for which pole I wanna get. Haven't quite made my decision but I may make up my mind at tomorrow's Sportsman's Show if they'll give me a great deal just to get it off their hands on the last day.

Now I know to avoid the Buzz-stick.
[signature]
[green] Well call me silly, but I had to give it a try,I have a wide variety of ice rigs from Heavy to ultra light in varing lengths, so I figured what the heck, this buzz stick should work on the perch, and maybe smaller trout, man was I disapointed, but you are completly correct, Choose your rod, your jig/icefly or your pattern and work your rod while watching your electronics see what works, what doesnt, thats the key, and always has been, no modern contraption of modern science will ever replace the skill and determination of an expert angler. but the Electronics now thats worth investing in, because without it, your pretty much fishing blind. and you cant correct what your doing wrong. [cool]
[signature]
I've had about 3 of them, they seem to work pretty good on negative crappies if you have a flasher and when they get right up to it just push the button and that will usually trigger them. They do have alot of electronic problems but they make a great rod without the buzzing too. [cool]
[signature]