Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New motor
Picked up a new motor for my toon today. It is a 55 lb thrust by Newport. Never heard of this company before. I usually use Minn Kota but got it for a deal. I noticed this motor is shorter than the Minn Kota. My 34 has a 36" shaft. This one is about 4" shorter. Also a definite weight difference. Next time I got out I will try it out and see if I like it. Now anyone know how the battery drain will be with this motor? Here's a pic.
[signature]
My first reaction is current draw about the same.
[signature]
The man I Sturgeon fish with got a 55 minn kota. That motor used up batteries fast. He was using a series 24 battery and he couldn't make it to the hole and back.
He got it to speed him up going to a sturgeon hole. The speed was basicly the same for the 55 or my 40. He went back to a 40 and get rid of the heavier 55.
[signature]
The housing looks just like Minn Kota, would be surprised that MK didn't have a hand in it. I have a 55, but I use #29 deep cycle from Walmart. I have had no issue with power. Sure the Maximizers use less power, but unless you are running rivers like Ron, or you are out there for 8 to 10 hours, you might want to use it accordingly.
I works for me and my 5 to 6 hour trips just fine. Even used it on our Aluminum 14'er for several hours and it was pretty much running non stop.
[signature]
When I pulled it out of the box first thing that went through my mind was the similarities between minn kota and this brand. Yes there are some differences but a lot more small similarities from the throttle handle to the clamps, etc....
[signature]
I took the motor out today and gave it a proper run down. Due to the 4" shorter than my mind Kota 34 I found that if I use the #5 position on the throttle I get a little cavitation. Also it sits a little lower behind my head so I need to add an extension to the handle for easier use. The power consumption was about the same as my 34. So in other words I like it.
[signature]
...however, I much prefer your more detailed explanation.

Thanks for the heads up!
[signature]