Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rod guides and local supplies
So I recently made my first couple ice rods. It was a good learning curve process but think I have it dialed in. I have 2 questions for you rod builders out there.
#1 is there anywhere local that sales rod blanks, guides, or other rod building supplies?
And...
#2 tell me about guides. What grade of guides do I need for for primarily fishing freshwater with mono or fluoro, no braids. My biggest surprise w building rods so far is the price of guides. I can't imagine I need the top dollar guides for freshwater mono/fluoro combo. That being said my next rod will be on the upper end of quality so I don't want to skimp on guides, I just need some info.
[signature]
Check out Fish Tech in SLC. They have pretty much everything you could want.
I put my rods through hell over 100 days a year, season after season, with braid, and heavy lake trout. Fuji Hardloy's last and last. I haven't had one fail yet, single-foot or double-foot. They'll outlast the rod. Casting guides are under a buck, spinning are $1-$3 depending on size, and tip tops are about $1.50ish. Not local, but Mudhole processes and ships fast.
[signature]