Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cumberland In the House
When I say, "Cumberland in the house..." well I mean that literally.

My new Cumberland arrived yesterday, right on schedule.
I bought the Cumbee because all the Left Coast tubers are signing its praises - and I have a long relationship with the Cali folks at Float Tube Fishing Forum. Many of them are salt water anglers and I find it comforting that THEY find it stable and comforting.

It came well packed in a double box, all folded up on itself. I was a little disappointed that there was no carry/storage bag for thing, I gotta admit. I like that sort of little extra. Other than that, however, I can find no real fault with the packaging and out of the carton appearance.

I was most impressed with the thick PVC protective bottom. I was expecting something like it, but found it to be stouter than I imagined.
I was least impressed with the open mesh cargo area behind the seat. Others I've seen have a PVC panel back there, although I imagine wet is wet, no matter WHAT is there.

I will inflate the thing in the next day or two and see whats what. Weird, but after seeing it, even my wife seems to have more than a passing interest in the idea of me out tubing for fish. So far, pretty impressive.
[signature]
I use a hockey bag to store my tubes in. Works great.
[signature]
Hockey bag.... Interesting.
Not much hockey here in SC, but I'm sure I can find something similar.
Thanks!
[signature]
Nice! Yes those Cali FTFF guys do swear by the Cumberland. I've used several tubes (ODC 420 & Fish Cat 4) and I'd have to agree that it's a quality tube with plenty of room. One thing I like is that it has a thicker foam seat, so you're higher on the water than the Fish Cats. Be sure to keep us in the loop on your float tube adventures!
[signature]
[quote UtahLakeCats]Nice! Yes those Cali FTFF guys do swear by the Cumberland. I've used several tubes (ODC 420 & Fish Cat 4) and I'd have to agree that it's a quality tube with plenty of room. One thing I like is that it has a thicker foam seat, so you're higher on the water than the Fish Cats. Be sure to keep us in the loop on your float tube adventures![/quote]
I will add some of this seasons escapades for sure.

I've inlfated the thing and added some reinforcement to the seat bottom and back. One of the few complaint's I HAVE heard about the Cumbee is the seat tends to bow after a long time in it. So I inserted some Coroplast panels with the ribbing running 90° to the direction of bend as stiffeninf.
o

I may also add one more piece of foam on the bottom of the seat, as further flotation support on the water. It may not be needed, I'll see.

Waders are the last thing to get: I'll probably send for those this week. Breathable types are where Im headed. Probably gonna get Frogg Toggs Hellbenders or Caddis Systems Deluxe.
[signature]