[inline bigwhiteriverbrown.jpg]
38 lbs 7 oz caught in Arkansas.
https://lockerdome.com/6741613636632385/...6273504532
[signature]
it does if you know where to go
[signature]
Flaming Gorge
[signature]
I doubt even the Gorge or anywhere in Utah has browns that weigh 38 lbs.
[signature]
The state record is 33 lb 10 oz and came from the gorge. It wouldn't surprise me to have a 38+ lb cruising around.
[signature]
That thing is a hog. [fishon]
[signature]
Flaming Gorge hasn't produced browns like that since the 70's..FG is a completely different fishery now. It's mostly dominated by lake trout/kokanee. The smallmouth bass also had a part in putting the axe in the trophy brown trout fishery.

There are several other reservoirs in Utah that have enough forage to sustain a huge brown. Scofield would be one of them off the top of my head. In fact, almost every single reservoir in Utah has browns in them..Nobody really puts any effort in to catching them. People need to get flaming gorge out of their head if they want to get a big brown, and look elsewhere.
[signature]
I know of two browns that were pulled to shore as they were expiring that would have surpassed the current state record had they been caught by hook and line....one was caught by a dog on Panguitch lake quite a few years ago. So, I certainly think it is possible....however, if browns like that were out there in any kind of number, more would be caught!
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Do you wish Utah had browns this big? [/quote]

I wish Utah had a river like the White River!!
[signature]
I wish utah would regularly stock browns. I know there are fisherman that catch 10 pounders and up every year but unfortunately I don't think utah will ever manage waters for browns like that. [fishon]
[signature]
There are some huge browns right below the Flaming Gorge Dam, in the area that is closed to fishing.
[signature]

what about the big browns that were netted in jordanelle a while back, wasn't some of them over 20. a couple years ago my friend netted a giant one that was dead at
FG that was over 20.
[signature]
There is little doubt that Utah has big browns but at 38 lbs, this big fish is almost double the size of almost all the big browns caught in Utah today. I agree with PBH, most big browns even close to the utah state record die of old age. I haven't heard of any angler catching a twenty pound brown in a lot of years, they are likely a few still around but a 30 lber, if there are any left, a few and far between, imo. A 38 lber will never be seen in this state.
[signature]
[#000000]That's a fish of a lifetime, no matter what state you live in.[/#000000]

I do know a few guys that pursue the big browns within a hundred mile radius of the border.
Haven't seen any yet that were 38 lbs., but they are still fishing.
[signature]
They may not be 30 lbs but I know I have seen some bruisers at the pig up on the surface. The problem is I am not allowed to troll a whole kokanee like I would a herring in AK. If I could though I would guarantee some browns that would make your head spin.
[signature]
the brown I netted at the gorge was easy 25 pound fish. way up on the wyo side. there are some mondos under the damn as was said. to catch them bigguns you have to fish in winter after the food pitchers leave the big fish move down from the damn where they an be fished. if you look it up about 20yrs ago dougy did a show about it... but a 38 is a big wish in Utah now days.
[signature]
I spent a day fishing there last Fall with no luck but I know they are there. Caught a 5 lber there years ago and know of at least three BFT members that have caught larger ones there.
[signature]
I think Utah should try this program.15-20 pound browns stocked. That would make things exciting.[fishon]
[signature]
Wow, I wonder what that cost, to raise a brown to that size must cost a pretty penny[Wink].
[signature]
Jordanelle seems to have a good supply of stocker rainbows. The ones I caught would feed a 10 lb brown very well. Do the 10 lb fish still spawn? Seems they would be easy to see in the fall in the Upper Provo or above Porcupine, Causey etc.
[signature]