Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The use of Sun Screen
Hi Guys
Just a little reminder of how important it is to use good sun screen while we are out on the boats. That includes arms and hands. I am bald and sometimes I take my hat off because it does get hot. And a little burn on a bald head looks good even on a 62 year young guy LOL. Well I have had a chunk of skin cancer cut from the back of my head, and above my eye this last month. And I had to have the blue light special for pre cancer cells on my head. So from now on I will be wearing spf 50, and a hat, and a long sleeve shirt from here on out. So just a word to my fellow fishermen. A tan looks good but you may pay for it in the long run.
Wear your Sun Screen....[fishin]
[signature]
They also make many brands of Sun Screen Chap Stick/Lip Balm that works too.
[signature]
Some of the best gear purchases I've made for fishing. Were a large palm leaf, life guard hat, and some long sleeve 30+UPF shirts.
[signature]
Thanks.[fishon]
[signature]
Thanks for reminding folks about the serious nature of too much sun.

I've got a divot in my arm from the dreaded melanoma too. The more you can cover up the better. I've been using a buff the last couple of years. It's good for a few things besides the sun protection, it's good to keep the bugs off, helps keep your head warm when the weather is cold, and no one will recognize you.[laugh]

We all need to protect ourselves because to stop fishing is not an option.[Wink]
[signature]
Ive found Netregena spf 45 a great ss. It goes on easy is not oily or greasy, and will not fade during the day. BUT as with all sun screens, wash your hands real well cuz fish don't like the taste of SS. They really don't.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I keep Bullfrog GEL stashed everywhere so I'm never very far from protection. It dries almost instantly, doesn't stain, and is moisture proof (doesn't come off when you sweat). You can do your own research on this, but most experts will tell you that the only thing that SPF over 30 does is cost way more money for very little gain in overall protection. Using SPF 30 twice a day is really all you'll ever need. But if you don't use it, it won't do squat. [cool][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I was at Powell this weekend. You could tell our boat: two guys in shorts, tanktops, and bareheaded, and one guy in long pants, long-sleeve shirt, Buf, hat, and glasses - plus sunscreen. That would be me. I'd have been wearing sun gloves besides, but I had misplaced them.

My oldest friend suffers from skin cancers, and the routine he has to go through with creams, sprays, and more just to fish is enough to make anyone take double care of himself.
[signature]
Great topic boatfisher ... really glad you bring this up.

Years ago, TubeDude described how he stood in front of the mirror on mornings before going out fishing. Once he was done admiring how handsome he was, he would begin the ritual of carefully and liberally rubbing in sun screen all over his face, neck, and other exposed skin. Ever since then, I have done the same (minus the beauty admiration). It only makes sense. Yea, I get funny looks from the folks at Maverick gas station because my face is all shiny looking, but that shine goes away after about an hour.

I pay special attention to some pre-cancer hot spots on my cheeks, the top of my nose, and ears.

Addopting that ritual of applying a good liberal dose of sun block before each outing, is a VERY important step in the preparation of my fishing trips.

My favorite sunscreen is 60 SPF "No-Add" sun screen from Walmart. It has no fragrance and doesn't wash of easily. One good thorough application lasts all day.

Caution: Never put sun screen above your eyes. If you do, the sweat from your forehead will bring sunscreen into your eyes and burn them. Besides, your hat is probably protecting your forehead anyway.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Excellent topic. Should be repeated several times a year.

As a young athlete/angler/diver/surfer/sun worshiper in southern California I exposed my tender skin to extremes of sun exposure. I looked good but had no idea how much damage I was adding to my account for later years. But Mama Nature sends frequent updates on my bill...like every year when I make my visits to my dermatologist.

Considering the abuse I subjected myself to in earlier years I have gotten off pretty lucky. A few precancerous zaps and a couple of thin tissue slices for analysis...all benign.

But many of my friends and family members from the same era have not been so lucky. Lots of loss of body tissue and some close calls.

One of my California friends and fishing buddies moved to Alaska to run a guide service on the Kenai River. I was supposed to go spend some time with him one year and had some excuse why I didn't go. Never saw him alive again. He developed galloping melanoma on his sun-scaly ears and died right after that season was over. I had not heard anything until I talked to another guide from the Kenai at our spring sportsmans' show and he told me.

I have been pretty conscientious about using sun screen and other sun protection for quite a few years. But after hearing about the fast and nasty passing of Gary "Big Dog" Lindstrom you can bet I never leave home without it.

Along with the sunscreen for the exposed body parts we also need to apply sun protection lip balm. Lots of facial cancers start with sunburned lips.

Another consideration...recently discussed on this board...is the use of good sun protection for the eyes. Even though I have always used sunglasses for all outdoor activities...and driving...I still developed small cataracts in both eyes and had lens replacements.

It is great that we have the modern diagnostic techniques and medical treatments we have today. But it is much better to prevent or forestall them with proper precautions. And, no matter how old we are we need to have regular checkups. But only if we want to live longer.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
After seeing the process of malignant melanoma on a relative , or anyone for the that matter, you would have no doubt the importance of sunscreen ,regardless of what you are doing out in the sun. That was a great reminder.
[signature]
Good topic! Thanks for the reminder we all need to hear.

For years, I've had trouble with different sunbocks reacting violently with my eyes, rendering me a crying fool, even when I was crushing it on the water, fishing wise. Due to this, the only sunblock products I've been able to use are the "Baby" formulations. Many of these products use titanium dioxide as an active ingredient. They are effective as a sunblock and are usually rated as spf 45-50.

Why is this notable? Titanium dioxide is also used sometimes by lure manufacturers as an ingredient in lure and jig paint. It appears not to repel fish as much as the active ingredients in most adult sunblock products. Subjectively, when I've gotten it on my hands while fishing, it doesn't seem to adversely affect at all the action I've experienced after application.

Anyway, food for thought if one isn't worried about being teased from carrying around a pink bottle of baby sunscreen. ;-)
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]I’ll second the notion. My partner just had the “Blue Light Special” as well as multiple hacks, chops and dices on his arm and head. He’s a tuff dude but to hear him describe the blue light was motivation enough for me. But then again I get plenty of motivation from my wife. She lost her grandfather to melanoma 7 years ago. Her father got melanoma as well and ended up having half his face cut off. He survived but he looked like Frankenstein afterword’s. Entire top of his nose was gone, crisscross scars all over his forehead and cheeks…. Yuck.[/font]
[font "Calibri"]
[/font]
[font "Calibri"]Good reminder!!!!!!!!![/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]