Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catching northern pike in the spring .
Just after the ice begins to break up, female pike begin to move into shallow, weedy bays. When the water temperature reaches the 40 to 45 degree range, large females, often accompanied by one or more smaller males, will deposit her eggs in six inches to three feet of water. Pike do not build a nest, the eggs are randomly dropped and will stick to vegetation. The water closer to shore usually warms up first so the eggs are usually dropped close to shore. A few days after spawning, the females leave the area. The males will stay in the area for several weeks but do not protect the eggs or the fry. The eggs and fry are preyed upon by crayfish, insects , birds and other fish. [left]There are a few things I always look for when I am looking for early season pike, no matter where the lake or waterway is located. The best spawning areas will have access to deeper water close by because, as I said, a few days after spawning, the females will leave the spawning area for deeper water. The deeper water also provides an escape for the pike should some threat arise. This may only be a depth of eight to 12 feet. I like a backwater bay that is close to a main lake; a bay far from a main lake will rarely have the numbers of fish a closer bay would hold. After they spawn, pike will head to the first deep drop-off they find, and will feed on whatever they can. They will stay here until the water warms even more.[/left] [left]A stream, or river inlet, will provide both high oxygen content and food for the pike. Pike will not stray far from food and generally the area near the shore will be most fertile. I have caught more big pike where a stream enters a larger body of water than anywhere else.[/left] [left]Pike feed by ambushing their prey and therefore need cover to hide behind, so the back bay needs lots of weeds. The eggs will stick to the weeds as well. Smaller baitfish and other food will be found trying to hide from foragging pike by hiding in the same weeds . I try to keep an eye out for fish, or other prey, the pike will be feeding on.[/left] [left]I always watch where the sun is shining the strongest. Exposure to sunlight will allow the bay to warm faster, and the warmer bay will have more weed growth, creating good conditions for the pike to begin spawning. At the same time, keep in mind that the sun will be casting your shadow, which can spook that trophy sunning in the shallow water.[/left] [left]The most common way to fish with spoons is to cast and retrieve , or troll at a steady pace. A stop-and-go retrieve has proved productive for me, this lets the spoon drop and flutter. Often the fish will strike when the lure drops, so I prefer to use the drop-and-flutter instead of the Figure Eight when I have a follow. I have more strikes doing this, than with the Figure Eight(Draw a large figure eight "8" with your rod tip as you reel in ). At a deeper drop-off, I have had luck jigging a spoon up and down, where, again the strike occurs on the downward flutter. To keep the action of a spoon as natural as possible I will use a shorter leader, in the area of three to four inches, a steel leader is a must to land a toothy pike. [/left] [left]While spoon baits are very basic in design, I have some favourites. The Toronto Wobbler, made by Lucky Strike, is my main spoon, I'll use this more then any other. The combination of gold and silver provides plenty of flash, not to mention the solid feel when casting this lure. This spoon is a good general-purpose spoon and if I'm in a lake I've never fished before, I like to use this one.[/left] [left]From Lucky Strike, a gold Scarlett Eye, a silver Scarlett eye and a Toronto Wobbler. Look at the first attachment below . web address [url "http://www.luckeystrikebaitworks.com"]www.luckeystrikebaitworks.com[/url] [url "http://www. "][#006633] [/#006633][/url][/left] [left]Also made by Lucky Strike is the Scarlet Eye. The thin body of this lure makes it a good choice if there is thick weed cover. I find it will rip through weeds easily. The red eye gives a different type of look as the lure spins ; it reminds me (and, I'm sure the pike) of a wounded baitfish.[/left] [left]The classics, red-and-white Daredevil, Five of Diamonds, and a black and white Daredevil. Look at the second attachment below . web address[url "http://www. "][#006633] [/#006633][/url][url "http://www.eppinger.net"]www.eppinger.net[/url] . [/left] [left]Two classic spoons, whose reputation speaks for themselves are the Daredevle and the Five of Diamonds. I haven't met a fisherman yet who doesn't have at least one Daredevle (or a knock off) in their tackle box. It seems like the old devil has been around forever. For me , it's more fact than fiction , I grew up just a few miles from there factory . I'm willing to bet there have been more fish caught on Daredevle's then any other lure. The red-and-white combination is like a red flag to a bull. I often think that a pike will strike just because the spoon is driving him mad! I have several; some with a silver back, while others have a gold back. I find the gold gives a little extra flash in murky water.[/left] [left]The Five of Diamonds is a spoon that I never liked the looks of until two pike over 40 inches changed my mind. It was at the mouth of a river emptying into a deep, rocky bay, I threw the Five of Diamonds and reeled it in fast; a short follow became a strike with a short pause in reeling. This is another lure I like, if I'm on an unfamiliar lake.[/left] [left]I also keep a few weedless spoons in my box just in case I'm in a very weedy bay. Rapala has recently brought out a line of weedless spoons; these have a thick, solid body with a deep curve . The action is good and these spoons are coloured to look like baitfish . I've used them with a twister-type tail to give an added action ; pike seem to like this little extra action.[/left] [left]I also have a couple Johnson Silver Minnows in my weedless arsenal too. These, while much thinner then the Rapala , are still a good producer. The simple design of this spoon hides its fish-catching ability. Various patterns are available, including a Daredevil like pattern. Look at the third attachment .[/left] [left]Generally , the sunnier and warmer the spring weather, the better the fishing will be. As the day goes on and the water get warmer, the more the fish will hit and they will be more willing to chase a lure. Keep the Figure Eight method in mind. I will usually go into the spawning bay first and cover lots of water in a hurry, just incase the big females are up in the shallows, then I'll move to the first drop-off, checking any humps or clumps of weeds. Keep your eyes open, and try different retrieve speeds and techniques, and the pike will nearly always come through. One last thought; the pike you catch may be full of eggs. Think about catch-and-release, try not to injure the fish. This will ensure a good population in the coming years.[/left] [left]I hope this will help you in your quest . welcome to the boards ![/left]
[signature]
AFTER YOU'VE MASTERED PIKE , YOU'LL WANT TO GIVE MUSKEY A TRY AS WELL . HERE'S SOME TIPS .
MUSKIE TIPS

Crankbaits: Believer, Creek Chub Pikie Minnow, DepthRaider, Grandma, Slammer Deep Diver, Swim Whizz and Teknek. These lures usually produce well when fished along weedbed edges although cranks can produce when muskies suspend during summer months or take up a holding pattern away from structure.

Jerkbaits: Bobbie Bait, Bull Dawg, Burt Bait, Eddie Bait, Manta Hang 10, Reef Hawg, Rizzo Jerk, Smitty and Suick. Jerkbaits get their action by being jerked. Give the lure one pull (jerk) with the rodtip and the lure will dive slightly to one side, and the next jerk will cause it to swim the opposite way. Jerkbaits rise toward the surface after each jerk, and some savey anglers give the lure a double jerk for faster side-to-side action. Don't overdo a jerk; at times a rod tip tap will cause the lure to change directions. Give it a try.

Spinnerbaits: Try the Bucher Inhaler, Eagle Tail, Funky Chicken, Ghosttail, Mepps Musky Killer, Rizzo Whizz, Shumway Hot Tail, Stump Hawg and the Tru/Tail. I prefer to use 30-pound monofilament or FireLine for spinnerbaits, and a high-speed reel is needed. In cold water, muskies are slow to hit a spinnerbait but during hot summer months, crank that rascal hard. My method is to begin the retrieve before the lure hits the water, and don't slow down for anything. If a muskie starts following the spinnerbait, reel even faster.

Surface lures: These lures are fun to fish because the strike is visible and savage. Good lures include the Creeper, Hammerhead, Hawg Wobbler, Knucklehead, Sky Walker, Stompers, Tally Wacker and Top Kick. Muskie-size Jitterbugs also take fish. Fish 'em slow, especially when you know a fish lives nearby.

Stand-and-cast: Many muskie boats have flat, stable floors like a bass boat, and in calm water standing and casting from a motionless or drifting boat is not dangerous unless the angler is fishing alone. New inflatable personal flotation devices are a wise consideration. Standing allows greater visibility through polarized sunglasses, and a muskie can hit as soon as the lure smacks the water or anytime during the retrieve. Polaroid sunglasses allow anglers to see following fish because these lens cut surface glare on the water.

Muskies at boatside: The oldtime figure 8 rod tip movement keeps the lure traveling at all times but many anglers have learned that a circular movement makes it easier for a muskie to follow the lure. My preference is the circular routine, but this is important when using either method: never stop the lure. Keep it moving as long as the muskie is visible. That said, most muskies that hit are never seen; they zoom up from the depths and take the lure with ferocity and splashing water. One other muskie trick is to submerg the rod tip while doing a figure 8 or circular motion. Try both methods.

Where to find fish: Muskies are opportunistic feeders and they usually attack from ambush. Weedbeds, rocky bars, reefs, dropoff edges or near submerged timber are hotspots.

However, don't miss the chance to fish at midlevel depths. Muskies can and do suspend, and lures that cover the middle depths near submerged islands or offshore shoals, can be productive.

Clothing: wear dark colors. My choice is usually a camouflage hat and shirt. Use dark rods like an ugly stick whenever possible.
[signature]
great post, vary informative, keep um commin [cool]
[signature]