Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
finally a striper
[cool]Fished Lake Mead today after work and was rewarded with an 11lb. 14oz. striper! Caught this guy on a 6" Storm rainbow trout swimbait. He put up a great 10 minute fight and pulled me around in small circles. Alot of fun for a quick trip.
[signature]

Hey there BigE,

Congrats on the striper. Got Pictures?
Whereabouts on the lake? Shallow, by the river, etc?

JapanRon
[signature]
way to go dude i'll get one some day
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Nice fish. A striper that size will definitely stretch your string. That's well above the average size there these days.[/size]

[size 1]I hear the condition of the fish is good right now. Like Lake Powell, the Lake Mead fish have gone through cycles of fat and skinny, depending on the shad population. [/size]

[size 1]Were you boatin', bankin' or tubin'? [/size]
[signature]
[cool]Thanks JapanRon, I did take pictures but they are on film; I need a digital camera. I was fishing at Hemenway Point. Trout were planted there in the AM. Every once in awhile you could see splashes and movement on top of the water as the stripers were chasing the trout. I was in about 35' of water in my tube.
[signature]
[cool]Thanks TubeDude, This guy was not a fatty but looked real healthy. I was fishing from a Caddis Navigatior 4 floattube. Alot of fun!
[signature]
[size 2]Yee Haw. Score another one for the float tubin' crowd. [/size]

[size 2]Have you ever heard about San Luis Forebay, in the Delta area of the San Francisco Bay? It gets a lot of water pumped in from the fertile delta area and there are a lot of small stripers in the small lake. Since there is a good food base, the stripers get big, and it is ideal for tubing. Quite a few monsters over 50 pounds have been taken out of there by float tubers...some with fly rods.[/size]

[size 2]In days of old, the stripers in Lake Powell were plentiful and grew pretty fast...before they ate all the shad. In the fall months they would often chase bait right up onto the docks at Wahweap early in the morning and again in the evening. The locals from Page would come down for some fast action before going to work, and then hit it again after work. If you were in a float tube, out beyond casting range of the dock brigade, you could be hooked up to feisty stripers all day long when they were really in.[/size]

[size 2]After the shad crashed the first time...and several times since...the striper game in Powell is much different. Although this last summer and fall produced some pretty good catches. Powell and Mead must have the same situation. The low water has concentrated the shad and the stripers are taking advantage and chowing down. Look out for the results if we don't get some serious water inflows in the spring.[/size]
[signature]
[cool]Yea TubeDude, I have heard of those sripers. I lived in CA. all my life til moving to Nevada a year and a half ago. I never did connect with one in the lakes in Socal. that are connected to the aqueduct system{ silverwood,skinner}. One of these days I'll try Powell.
[signature]