Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boulder Advice?
[quote Liprippa]Three things ruined the Boulders:..[/quote]

The Boulders are ruined??

Well, if that's really the case, then why is brookieboy upset with this discussion? I think the reactions on this thread alone dispell your belief that the Boulders are ruined! Far from it. But, if you truly believe that, then I think there will be a few that will Smile knowing that there is 1 less person to compete with on that mountain!
[signature]
I've only fished one lake down there and the splake I pulled out was pretty decent. So I think the boulders are not dead.[Smile]
[signature]
[quote Liprippa]
Yes. the strain of Brook trout being planted has changed over the years.[/quote]

NO, actually, this is NOT true. The strain of brook trout has remained the same for over 30 years....and, as far as I know, it has never changed.

The only major change to the size of brook trout are the numbers of fish in the brook trout lakes....over time, less people are taking home limits and more people are throwing them back. Combine that with more restrictive regulations and what do you get? The exact opposite of intended consequences--fewer big fish!

The reality is this....in a good lake, brook trout can grow to 5 pounds in 2-3 years! Big brook trout were and are not the result of strain or long life but fast growth! The key to getting fast growth are numbers of fish....that is why stocking rates have been reduced on some lakes.

The last few summers I have been making multiple trips to some lesser known waters that usually don't fork out big fish....one such water overwintered fish for the first time I had ever seen. The brook trout in this small lake were 14-15 inches long and had only one summer and one winter of growth but were already around 2 pounds. I can't wait to get back up there and check it out again....even though the fish will probably be dead.

If you really want to catch some big brookies, I suggest checking out some of these lesser fished waters....because some big ones are still out there! And, with changes to stocking and management per the new management plan, there will be some more big ones in the future!
[signature]
[quote wormandbobber]
The reality is this....in a good lake, brook trout can grow to 5 pounds in 2-3 years! Big brook trout were and are not the result of strain or long life but fast growth! [/quote]

People always want to bring up the current brook trout record by Milt Taft. They always refer to strain. But what everyone fails to remember is that the fish was caught shortly after a fish kill in that lake. We still see this today -- either after a winterkill or after a rotenone treatment the trout growth explodes and big fish show up shortly after.

The quote by wormandbobber is exactly correct. It was correct in 1971 when Taft caught the record fish, and it is correct today: Big brook trout are the result of fast growth.
[signature]
[quote PBH][quote wormandbobber]
The reality is this....in a good lake, brook trout can grow to 5 pounds in 2-3 years! Big brook trout were and are not the result of strain or long life but fast growth! [/quote]

People always want to bring up the current brook trout record by Milt Taft. They always refer to strain. But what everyone fails to remember is that the fish was caught shortly after a fish kill in that lake. We still see this today -- either after a winterkill or after a rotenone treatment the trout growth explodes and big fish show up shortly after.

The quote by wormandbobber is exactly correct. It was correct in 1971 when Taft caught the record fish, and it is correct today: Big brook trout are the result of fast growth.[/quote]No arguement intended: The amazing brook trout Milton caught was over 40 years ago. It may or may not have been the result of fast growth. It was indeed feeding in an environment full of redside shiners, and naturally, scuds by the ton. But was it the same short-lived strain on Boulder today? I feel that sometimes too much early growth can shorten the life-span of brook trout to where their peak is 5-6 pounds instead of 6-7 pounds. I am really not complaining at all, as any brook trout over 3 pounds just tickles me pink. But I do think there is perhaps a genetic change in todays Boulder brook trout from the strain caught by Milty. But, I surely cannot expect the DWR to duplicate that genetic pool. I can just emplore them to enhance their efforts on lower stocking numbers and sterile brook trout in their goal to restore the trophy potential of several Boulder Lakes. So far in the last year, they have totally followed the agenda.
Thank you, DWR. Hopefully some major possitive changes will come soon as the result of good management. I am very optimistic, and looking forward to the upcoming seasons.
[signature]