Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake Info??
Ok, let me get started, I am a very new member, just signed up today, I found this site reading the Fishing info from Fishermen in the DWR's web site. Thanks to that BFT member that made the post I am now here, (you may end up regretting it.) I have been reading your posts and all the threads for about a week now, you guys really ROCK, I dont even read the "BS" in the DWR report anymore "too many Rookies", the only complaint I have is some of you are not real precise on Ice depth, Bait, or tactics used,etc. or if you even use Electronics, but then again it might just be your afraid to share that info. Well I got a saying for that, Feel that burning in the bottom of your spine? thats your conscience F** with you... So I will begin, I am going to Fish Lake, Never Been there, heard the Macks and the little fish are abundant, I am Taking my Kids, I need any info that you are willing to give me or share, I will be there for 3 days, so dont let your conscience get too you.. help a fellow angler out. and I promise I will share what I learned. [Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Welcome to the site icehole69. The great thing about message boards is, as you well know, they are interactive. If the report does not have the info you seek then ask! I guarantee that you will get a reponse from some one. Specific questions, obviously, get specific answers.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Good Luck on your Fish Lake Trip. Hedgesd, fuzzyfisher and others can give you good data. [/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks BearLakeMack, I hope to hear from them soon. Seeing what your Moniker is, whats the best way to catch Mack thru the ice, Never done it. I got some info off the web, but it aint real specific, I got a Bucket full of 1/2 oz jigs and an assorment of colored Tubes, any thing on tactics you would like to share? [Wink] [reply]
[signature]
Welcome to the site ice[cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Tubes are the standard around here but spoons and other types of plastics work too. Good sonar helps. You can fish the bottom and come up to suspended fish. Tip your jigs at Fish Lake with perch, chub, or sucker. Let the fish tell you what kind of action they want. They may be jig shy or they may hit a more aggressive style. There are no real secrets just info you don't have yet. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]It also helps to know the lake and specific structure that lakers hold to. This is easier to find in a boat during warm weather and save the points to a GPS for winter use. It's a pain to drill 30 holes to find a location that one GPS point can put you on. Good Luck.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I talked to one of my friends who works there durning the summer and he says that one of the best spots to cathc alot of fish while ice fishing, is you head out from the first marina you come to and head off in a north eastern direction for about 100yds to get past the weeds then just strat drilling around there till you find a productive spot, as for the baits to use i really dont know what is working right now but i hear that tipped baits are working best.
[signature]
Right on Guys thanks for the info, I will try that spot you suggested, as well as the tipped baits and different actions. I will write and tell you how it went and what was they wanted and what worked best.
[signature]
To start my usual Fish Lake trip, I simply drive to the Twin Creeks area, change into my ice fishing garb (especially the blue tights with the S on it and my matching cape), and saunter out about 200 yards straight from the electric box. The water is about 60 feet there and you can catch nice rainbows on tube jigs or ice flies with any worm or splake on white or glow 2" tube jigs with perch or sucker meat. Have a designated perch person go in close to the weed bed that goes around the perimeter of the lake and catch some perch. Morning and evening are best in that area with midday doing well farther East across the lake in deeper water on the bottom for lakers or suspended 20-40 feet for bows and splake. Of course your success will probably have nothing to do with my suggestions since what I try doesn't always seem to work. Oh, yeah, you may want to move around a lot - I always say I'm going to do that but I usually dont. Good luck, see some eagles and enjoy the beauty of the great outdoors - and stay warm. At Fish Lake, the worse the weather, the better the fishing - for me anyway.
[signature]
I have not been there this year yet but will be going probably MLK Day. I haven't caught a lake trout but do fairly good for splake. I can give ya a couple of GPS points to get ya started if ya want. I like using white color jigs with a garden worn to get started with the perch then use them for meals for the splake.
[signature]
I have been there once, last year. We are heading back the weekend of the 31st of January. We will rent a cabin and stay at the lake. We went across the lake from twin creek to the rock flows. Then we fished in about 40 ft of water. Did extremely well on the splake. Found the Rainbows suspended in water about 60-70 ft deep (they weren't that deep, just the bottom). The perch were in 20-30 feet of water. We didn't do too well on the Mac's. We use ratfinkies tipped with wax worms. That is what I use everywhere I go and I always do real well. The vexilar helps a lot also as you can tell where the fish are in the column and then you go get them. I always sit close to the bottom and watch the sonar. It helps to have a snow machine so you can get around. Good luck on your trip, keep us posted as to your success.
[signature]
Right on MrLipripper, you gave me a great starting point, I will be in the lodge from the 16th thru the 19th, I have my designated perch bandit that would be my son, if they are there he will slay them, cant wait to get on the ice down there, I appreciate your suggestions and your tips. your the man Ripper.
[signature]
[green]Thanks duckhunter, Never caught or fished for Splake before, but I will follow your instructions, I will be feeding them Perch, cant wait to tie into a few of everything down there. [Wink]

[teeth]

Help the future, Take a Kid fishing, I do!
[signature]
icehole69,

It's been a few years since I went to Fish Lake, but here's what I always use. I like a Northland "Fireball jig". I use the glow in the dark 1/4 ounce size with a small minnow. Either shiner or chub minnows. I guess a small perch would do as well. I like to use the stinger hook that comes with the "Fireball".

It works for the splake and the macs, but not too well for rainbows. I like to fish straight out from Twin Creeks. 60 to 120 feet of water. The macs can be anywhere from 30 feet to 120, but the splake always seem to be at 42 feet for me.

Good luck.

Fishrmn
The ticket to Fish lake isn't what you are using or how but when, where and why. I don't know how much a seasoned fisherman you are but I'd start the day with your favorite ice set-ups.

If your looking for macs the east side is the best. I don't know the names of the places I fish but if you see somebody working a spot it usually for macs on the east side. The west side produces some smaller or average macs but not consistantly enough to expect a mac every trip.

Start your day by finding the weed line and catch some perch. It usually is any where from 30 yards to 100 yards off shore. On the east side its 20 yards and your in 40+ ft of water.

I'd definetly bring a fish finder so you can locate the depths the fish are holding. It can very in every spot so always keep it going and work the level you see fish cruising in. If your kids are getting bored or haven't had any luck go about 10-20 yards of the weed line and you'll start slamming little trout and perch.

Plan on wind and lots of it. Don't plan on it getting very warm even on sunny days so dress those kids warm and have fun. If you got a shack definetly bring it even if its used just for warming cold feet and hands.

Good luck and have fun.
[signature]
hey icehole69...

i was at fishlake last wednesday and we did realy good on splak,pup mack's,and rainbows.. we fished the pelican point area in about 54' feet of water..the biggest splake i got was 24" and was caught on a glow buzzbomb tipped with perch..but we started hitting mack's on the bottom useing 1/4 glow head jig with white 1 1/2" tube bait tipped with sucker minnows.. the rainbows are hanging in 5 to 20' feet of water the splake are hanging in 20 to 50' feet of water and the mack's are right on the bottom..

hope that helps you out...

from the fuzzyfisher--------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
[green]Hey guys, thats some great info, I will definetly pay heed to it, I appreciate all the good advice and pointers you guys have given me on Fish Lake, Its unusal that guys will share so much knowledge on there favorite holes, and tactics, I am glad I joined this site. you guys Rock. [cool]
[signature]
We fished it today - south end and caught a few splake and some nice rainbows - nothing over 14 but they eat good Smile They bit any color 1/8 oz or smaller tube or rat finke that had a piece of perch or meal worm tipped. Lot of fish crusin 8-14 feet down and I suspect most of them were rainbows. There were a lot of fish on the bottom as well at 48 feet and I threw the tackle box at them but I did not catch any lakers. Missed a couple bites [mad] I'm still working on figuring out those lakers [Wink]

I always try to get off the weed line a ways (50-70 ft depth) and work my way back toi the weed line to find where they are crusing. The fish finder is great to have there.

As stated before - over the weeds the perch will wear your kids out [Smile]
[signature]