Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perplexing solution found, bike is now ready to be a fishing machine
I have some prime kitty territory near my house however since parking is nonexistent and there is a bike trail that runs along the side of it I have decided to use my bike. How ever hauling a rod on the bike will make things difficult if not dangerous. My solution is to attach a rod holder to it but I am perplexed as to how to attach it. Any ideas will be welcome. Picture of the bike with luggage rack area and the rod holder are attached.
[signature]
Use either wood or metal and attach at the screw point I have circled in attached pic.
Not the best pic but you can get the idea. Then attach the rod holder to the vertical part of the wood or metal. Hope that helps.
[signature]
What about a collapsible rod?
[signature]
Collapsible rods can be atached easily enough. This is so I can carry my one piece baitcasters etc...
[signature]
I would take a 1" piece of tin that is a couple of inches long and notch one end so that it will fit onto the axle shaft under the nut that hold it into place. Then it could be bent with on offset to get it far enough away from the bike for the rod holder to be mounted.

Then use a conduit hanger to clamp the top of the rod holder to the top back corner of the bike rack.

Picture of the conduit hanger.
[inline 0b_p.jpg]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
It just come to me.

You could use hose clamps and just wrap them around the rod holder and the back support of the rack and tighten them up.

Easy peasy.
[signature]
I like that idea. Thanks! I will take a look at them.
[signature]
Solution found! [cool] The only hose clamps I have are smaller diameters that I was using on my room with 1" PVC. So I raised my garage for solutions.

The rod holder I am using has some protrusions on the back that came in handy. The top and bottom protrusions have a slit in the center. I slipped the top one over the railing of the bike rack. Then I found two metal plates in my garage leftover from previous projects. Two bolts, washers, and nuts later I was able to attach the holder to the side of the rack. The plates ended up being a great way to put pressure on the holder and the rack to hold it all in place. I used two plates. Then to help keep it from bouncing around and to hold it firmly in place I used several zip ties. Pics attached.

Now to take it out and give it a test run.[Smile]

All that is left is to find a way to either make a trailer or modify one to pull with my bike then I can haul a float tube around as well.
[signature]
That seems to work, but you also are wasting that area. You could add a milk cart to the top of the metal area. They are light and the you can add rod holders to the milk cart. Milk carts work out really well on kayaks and I have seen them used on bikes in a similar fashion. You get the added bonus of having a place for your gear. Here are some examples without the fishing stuff and there are lots of easy ways to attach the cart to the bike.

[url "http://eugenebicyclist.com/2011/07/11/how-to-make-a-cratie-i-e-how-to-bungee-crate-to-bike/"]http://eugenebicyclist.com/2011/07/11/how-to-make-a-cratie-i-e-how-to-bungee-crate-to-bike/[/url]
[signature]
My plan was to tie a small gear bag I picked up from cabelas onto the rack.
[signature]
That looks like a good set up to get your gear in! but, how do you get dinner home when you have a stringer full if nice tasty kitties?
I found an old kid trailer at a yard sale a couple years back. I used to use it for duck hunting, but this year we used it elk hunting! My son and I biked in a few miles where he shot his cow. We were able to quarter it out and haul that whole thing out behind my mountain bike! Good thing it was all downhill, there is no way I could have peddled that 300 lbs of meat up even the slightest incline!
I attached a picture, those axles and wheels were stressed pretty far...
[signature]
[quote HD7000]That looks like a good set up to get your gear in! but, how do you get dinner home when you have a stringer full if nice tasty kitties?
[/quote]

That is a good question, but since I don't plan on keeping any at this point I wasn't leaning in that direction. I have thought about the kid trailer. I would just have to figure out how to modify it.
[signature]
I'm going to bet you'll regret having the rods vertical. Tree limbs.

I'm not a bike rider, but the rigs I've seen all carry the rods horizontally, with tips to the rear. Many have the rod butts right at the front stem, with the rods passing under the seat on either side. Up to four rods can easily be hauled this way.

I'd also strongly recommend getting some of those mesh rod bags that slip over the rod and line guides to keep lines from getting caught in anything.
[signature]
Forgot to upload the picture after I attached it...
[signature]
Interesting thoughts. I will need to check into this.
[signature]
That is a lot of weight for that little trailer.
[signature]
Here is what I have so far. I do have a small collapsible lunch box and I found a small igloo I would like to try as well. Of course if I carry a fly rod or pack rod they won't stick up in the air due to they have rod tubes and are much shorter.
[signature]
I love to mountain bike and fish. I will say that zip ties are the new duct tape when it comes to merging the two. You can get a big handful for free if you watch the Harbor coupons or like $2 without, zip 'em on, snip them off when you're done, super strong but super light weight so you don't get that pedaling a tank feeling. If you are using a standard length pole zip it across your handlebars, or along your top tube. My bike is full suspension and either works well. I did get a pole that will fit in my pack that I have really grown to like. The reel is a piece of junk - just throw it away after you remove the reel seat to modify the real reel you want to use with it. Enjoy.
[signature]
On a side note. If you are going to use zip ties where they will be in the sun alot then make sure to use the black ones. They have a muck higher UV rating than the white ones.
[signature]
[quote a_bow_nut]On a side note. If you are going to use zip ties where they will be in the sun alot then make sure to use the black ones. They have a muck higher UV rating than the white ones.[/quote]

That is what I used.
[signature]