Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minersville Float
Spent a lovely Sunday afternoon floating on Minersville. Managed to land four on various nymphs and buggers. It was one of those strange days when the fish would pick up the fly then drop it after feeling a little resistance. Sometimes a couple of little twitches would entice another strike but never with any real commitment. I would guess I had six or seven more that were temporarily hooked but not landed. Not sure if they just weren't hungry of if they just don't have the resolve I'd like to see in a fish.;-) Anyway, it was great to get out.
All fish were in the 14" range. Hooked one that felt substantially bigger but only had him on for a few seconds
[signature]
Thanks for the report.

It sounds like the water is still a little too cold for them to get too fired up yet. Is the water pretty clear? It's been a few years since I fished it but when I fished it last the water level was low and the wind kept the water murky.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
[signature]
They are really good at those soft taps this time of year. I [font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]definitely miss alot of fish with their suttle bites. Thanks for the report I plan on going up next weekend. Can't wait to wet a fly[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
The water is clear, and according to my finder it was 45* at the surface. I would estimate the level is approximately 65% currently. I hope we get some spring storms on the Beaver Mts or it may be a Sad year for Minersville.
[signature]
I spent a few hours at Minersville today (Saturday 3/28) and it was all about the nymphs. Copper John and a Chartreuse BlackJack are what worked for me.
[signature]
We also went out on Saturday, but we were in the boat (black Ranger).

We trolled clousers -- funny that I somehow forgot my standard box of buggers. So, I put on what I had: red/white/blue and yellow/blue clousers.

The trout were hitting them -- but I struggle to hook the trout. Too much tail on the flies, with the hook up at the front. We managed a couple small rainbows (15"). Those 'bow's were puking up larva. It's obvious that they are gorging themselves right now.

the unexpected (but hoped for!) excitement was the wipers! I lost two while dragging my only bugger behind my flyrod. It's fairly obvious when you hook a wiper -- I was down to my backing in about 3 seconds! The wife then landed a 17" wiper trolling a clouser on the spinnging rod. I then landed a large 21" wiper on a spinning rod. What a riot that is!!!

I'm excited to get back out there.
[signature]