Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretty but deadly
[shocked][size 1]I guess that you all heard about the deadly attack by one of our big cats on a local biker in Orange Cty. Unfortunately, these bikers must think that they are riding around Disney Land. Be careful when hiking to your favorite fishing hole. Hope that they don't see me tubing as an opportunity for a nice meal. Do you think that my fish finder can detect one of these dudes in the brush?[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2249;]
[signature]
[cool]Hey Dryrod, I used to mountain bike in that same park. It has a strip mall in front of it and houses on the outside edges of it. But when you enter it you feel as if you're in the wilderness. And you are right, they shouldn't feel completely safe when riding in terrain like that. Always look around and be aware of movement around you. I have come across all kinds of wildlife{ bobcats,coyotes,rattlesnakes,skunks,etc.} while biking in the hills. Its great to warch them but be sure you SEE them . Also, if they think of you as a meal, kick faster.
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Your title of the post says it all. I think cougars are some of the prettiest cats...especially in the face, as in your pic. But, they are efficient predators, and when their customary prey (deer) have been removed or driven off, they will find other ways to survive. Unfortunately, they don't read the rules...that humans are supposed to be off the menu.[/size]

[size 2]Here in Arizona we have had a lot of problems with bears, coyotes and other wildlife coming into areas populated by humans. Just in the past week, there have been four attacks by bobcats...on both humans and pets. One of the attacking cats died and was found to be rabid.[/size]

[size 2]BigE's advice is good. Never take it for granted that you are entirely safe anywhere. If it ain't wildlife problems, it could be human vermin. Personally, if I had to experience an untimely death, I would rather feed a starving wild creature than just enrich some lazy good for nothing human who cares nothing for property rights or human life.[/size]

[size 2]We do a lot of hiking in Arizona, and we have seen hundreds of critters...from deer to cats to coyotes to javelinas to snakes to skunks to lovers, etc. Basically, unless you provoke them, or happen upon a sick or distressed animal, you are usually safe.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hi there TubeDude,[/size]

[size 1]Well said! It is sort of like all the homes they build around the Seal Beach munition center. Now the residents want them to move it out of their town. If you build your home on a quake fault what do you expect? Duh! [crazy][/size]
[signature]
Hey Dryrod. With that in mind, I will build my next house on a lake.
[signature]
I lay the blame on all the tree huggers that got cougar hunting banned in cali. If cats have no reason to fear humans, they will use them for food. Cats don't let themselves be seen by us, so people think that there are not many around, but boy are they wrong. All those little dogs and cats that "run away" were probably a snack for a hungry cat. Let people hunt them...of course on a managed basis, and there won't be any more cat attacks. We have a ton of cats here in Utah, and no reports of any attacks because there are hunts for them. When the cats fear humans, they leave us alone.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]A lot of logic in that. But lions, being cats, are much different than coyotes. No matter how much we hunt, trap and poison coyotes they just keep increasing and adapting to the new hazards we create for them.[/size]

[size 1]I have heard it said that there are more coyotes in the USA today than there were when Chris Columbus wandered off course and "found" our country. What's worse is that most coyote populations today make a living off humans (and their animals) rather than their "natural" prey...because we have mostly eradicated their normal food supply.[/size]

[size 1]Here in Arizona we almost take coyotes for granted. You see them everywhere. It is not uncommon to see them wandering down a major street, in the middle of the day, just like a neighborhood dog. At night they eat all the pet food that has been left out for Fifi and Fluffy...and will kill and eat any pets that are not kept inside too. [/size]

[size 1]Lots of stories around here of folks who have had coyotes run in and snatch small dogs away from their owners, while being walked on a leash. But, unless the "yodel poodles" actually attack a human, or appear to be a threat to small children, there is not much done to eliminate them.[/size]

[size 1]Cougars, on the other hand, are solitary animals. They are shy and wary...if they have a reason to be. But, like you pointed out, if humans are perceived only as a nuisance...that can make an acceptable snack...then we "get no respect" from them.[/size]
[signature]

Hey there Dryrod,

Yep the final score Cat: won 1 lost 1, Nature: lost 1. I don't think you should any problems as long as the kitty cannot tell you're going CAT-fishing. heh heh heh

JapanRon
[signature]
Just a day or two ago here in Utah there was a Cougar attack on a pet dog. It killed it and dragged it off. The poor animal was so starved and malnourished, (probably from looking for deer up high in the snow, but all the deer have moved down low) so it came down low too looking for food and found this dog and killed it. Wildlife officials later found the cougar and tranquilized it. It was in such poor health and condition, and had some missing teeth, so they had to put it to sleep. It could not have survived in the wild.
[signature]

Hi there cat_man,

Ha ha ha I just realized WHY this incident would be of major interest to your board name. When nature kills off a substantial numbers of a species, etc. I understand that mother nature knows best! It's when humans cause things to get messed up to a point to where a creature is forced to do something outside of its nature that burns me.

JapanRon
[signature]