Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
filleting and cleaning fish
fishluvr,

Here is a tip that I hope will help with [size 1]that last row of bones down the center. I assume you are not talking about the ribs but rather that row of bones that is pointing slightly upward and out from the spine. [/size][size 1]For fish 12 inches and under, don't worry about them at all. They will virtually disappear when you cook them. Leave your fillet in tact for a better presentation on the plate. Smaller fish are better for eating anyway and that is why I don't care to keep the bigger fish. For trout that are bigger, you may have to deal with the tattered look if the bones bother you. For really big fish you are going to want to cut the fillets into smaller portions anyway so just cut out the row of bones and then cut the rest of the fillet sections to the size you need for good cooking. I just don't mess with those bones very often. It is not worth the trouble. Heck, my 3 yr old daughter gobbles that stuff down no problem. Hope this saves you time and trouble.[/size]

[size 1]m[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Glad to help where I can, fishluvr. If I had all the answers about what to use where and when, I would have been retired wealthy a long time ago. [/size]

[size 1]All I can suggest is stay tuned to the many reports that come in from the folks on this forum. Pay attention to what is suggested, but be prepared to have to experiment on every trip. It is rare for the same conditions to hold from one day to the next...or even from one hour to the next on some days.[/size]

[size 1]If you go out with a good assortment of sizes and colors of jigs...and some good baits to sweeten the hooks...then you just need to find the fish and serve them up a buffet table. Let them pick what they want. The variables are always going to be what depth of water are they holding in...and at what level...and then how active are they. Sometimes they smack anything you drop down to them. Other times you can't buy a bite. That's why they call it fishing...not HARVESTING.[/size]
[signature]