Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard Strike vs. Soft Strike (still water)
I've been fishing Minersville a few times a week for the last 6 or so weeks. I've noticed the last few weeks, the bite has become very soft compared to just a few weeks ago.

My question is: What are the factors that determine the speed or voracity in which a trout with bite. Water temperature? Fishing pressure? Other factors?

I have tried a few different methods, but have had the most action on Woolly Buggers. My presentation has been about the same over the six week period, yet the bite has become softer and softer.

Any thoughts?
[signature]
Are you stripping or using an indicator? I have noticed the bite being a lot softer around the shore after their spawn cycle.
When stripping I have not really noticed a difference in the strike. Heading out this next week hope to get some hard strikes, but I will take whatever they give me
[signature]
[quote vegasback2id]Are you stripping or using an indicator? I have noticed the bite being a lot softer around the shore after their spawn cycle.
When stripping I have not really noticed a difference in the strike. Heading out this next week hope to get some hard strikes, but I will take whatever they give me[/quote]

I've tried both methods extensively. I seem to have had greater success stripping the last few trips, but the bite has really softened. Maybe I need to go deeper or transition to a new approach.
[signature]
You may not need to change anything. It may just be the cold water they are just not quite as aggressive. I notice the same thing at Panquitch. I have missed many fish being late on the soft bite. With an indicator you really got to pay attention because you will not feel it. Missed a few just enjoying the view look back indicator is surfacing. Strike and a miss[:/]
[signature]
What is the water temperature?
[signature]
This happens every year. Right after ice off the trout, including big browns, come in really shallow and they are so aggressive they will hit offerings multiple times until they are hooked. Especially the days preceding a low pressure system moving in. After the system passes through there is usually a series of really warm sunny days. The fishing slows down and the fish aren't as aggressive. I don't think it is water temps as it is colder after ice off then it is now. It's just weather patterns and how they affect trout. I've noticed the same thing, it has slowed for me considerably the last couple weeks.
[signature]
I spent a few hours back at Minersville today. I switched from stripping Woolly Buggers to fishing nymphs. Today was the day for the nymphs! I did much better and it sure felt like the fish were striking with authority.

@harlin The weather patterns and how they impact the fish is something I need to learn. Thanks for those tips. I need to do some reading up on that topic to better educate myself.
[signature]
What nymphs do you like and how do you like to fish them?
[signature]
[quote OldTroller]What nymphs do you like and how do you like to fish them?[/quote]

I'm far from an expert in nymphing, but for me I usually do the best with the following nymphs:

- Copper Johns (Copper, green, and red wire)
- Prince Nymphs
- Zebra Midge
- Blackjack (green or pink)

I usually string them up 4 - 8 feet under an indicator (depending on the depth of the water I am fishing. I also usually will have at least two different nymphs (the second trailing 12" or so) on until I can see a pattern for what the fish are taking, both depth and fly. Once I figure that out I usually will take the second nymph off because I have less chance of creating a rats nest with my leader and tippet as I'm casting.

Keep in mind that this is how I fish for still water nymphing. Rivers and streams would be a different setup but I don't have much experience with that, so I don't want to lead you astray with bad info.

The top three nymphs are easy to find at any shop that sells flies. The blackjacks, I have been tying myself. Attached is a picture of the blackjack pattern that did so well for me at Minersville on Saturday.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing.

Do you fish nymphs because your prefer it or because it works better for you? I have only had success nymphing (my set up is a lot like yours) when the fish are very active so I was curious when/how you decide to use nymphs.
[signature]
Honestly, I do prefer it. There is something about watching that indicator go under the water that keeps me up at night. I will fish dry's in the morning and evening, sometimes with a nymph dropper behind it, but most of the day I will alternate between nymphs and stripping a woolly bugger. Whichever the fish seem to be more interested in.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I am heading up Thursday for the weekend. It looks like a little cold front is moving through and I also believe that has an affect on the fish. I like your Blackjack looks like an interesting fly. I prefer stripping woolys off my pontoon boat just the slam when they hit is such a rush. However I do like to watch that indicator go down. Can't wait to go the first trip of the year.
[signature]