Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Fishing Report 1/10/04
Started fishing at 9:30 and was off the lake at 3:00. (see my earlier post to where we launched my boat) Started fishing off the pumphouse in 24-38 feet using 4" tubes tipped with cisco. Caught one decent cut about 30 seconds after we started. Then my dad (out here on vacation from Michigan) lost a whopper mac that broke the line. A bunch of floating ice moved in and made it impossible to fish so we moved over to the rockpile and fished anywhere from 32 out to 66 feet. I snagged one cisco right on top of the pile using a jigging spoon, but that was it for the cisco. We marked a couple of schools of cisco on the finder, but there were not a lot of fish out there yet. Next weekend should be better. We caught several cutthroat on tube jigs in the rockpile area and the only other boat out there was doing well jigging small kastmasters for whitefish right on top of the pile. We also tried fishing off the weedbeds south of Gus's Point. No luck there. Today was calm as glass but unbelieveably foggy. The only way we found our spots was using GPS. Visiblity was approx. 50 feet. All in all it was a great day on the water.
[signature]
Those are some nice cutts. Thanks for the update. I know a lot of guys looking forward to the cisco spawn this year. Do you think the main body will ice up?
[signature]
Nice report Guy! Is that a santa hat that gentleman (not sure if that is you) is wearing??[Wink]
[signature]
Nice report BLFG, that is a great cutt you are holding, did you measure it or weight it? It sure is nice to fish Bear lake when it is a calm day, I hope it's that good next weekend. Thanks for getting the info on where we can launch. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey, BLFG,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]What was the surface temp on the lake yesterday? Also did you get you sonar set up how you wanted?[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 2]Nice report B.L.Fish Guy; I was wondering if the cisco had started yet? Old_Coot along with myself have plans to head up to do some cisco fishing this next weekend. 1-17-04: Were hoping Scot,that you are right in that the cisco run will pick up in a week. Again thanks for the report, & the updates! [angelic][/size][/#0000ff][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 2] Hope to see you out there next week-end!! [Smile][/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
i had a question about cisco beach. is it showing signs of ice or do you think it will ice up by next weekend? thanks for any info.
[signature]
The surface temp was 32.6. There was quite a few ice sheets floating around on the surface, which I am sure you know makes fishing a real pain. The sonar is working great, even though my Humminbird unit is about 12 years old. It was top of the line back then. Anyways, my problem with the unit was me not over riding the "auto" setting which didn't allow me to increase the sensitivity. I didn't have a book with this unit, since it was my dad's, but I just kept messing around with it until I realized that the "auto" setting was trumping me when I tried to increase the sensitivity. I turned the auto setting to OFF and now I can fine tune it the way I like. I can see the jig and barrel swivel without any problem when I "zoom" to the bottom 8 feet. Heck, even the Spiderwire shows up too well sometimes and I have to back down the sensitivity. This unit only has 128 vertical pixels, but I can see things remarkably well. Thanks for your advice on what I needed to do.
[signature]