Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
streamers
I got out last week for about an hour and half. The water was high and dirty so I decided to throw streamers. I'm still kind of a noob with big streamers but it worked out for once. I got into probably the nicest fish I have ever caught on this water. I was casting across and down, letting it swing with some twitching. As it swung directly down stream of me by a cut bank under a small tree, this cutty jumped out and SLAMMED it. I'm embarrassed to admit that it actually scared me a little. It was only about ten feet away from me and I saw the whole thing go down. The pics are poor because I was by myself and I had to fight him for a while and wanted to get him back in the water. the first pic is a smaller one that I hooked up river and then the last two are the same fish. What a riot, I love streamers.
[signature]
Nice fish! One of these times I'm going to drop my shiny new iPhone in the water taking photos like yours. But when you hook up a nice fish like that, it's worth the risk!
[signature]
Nice fish, what streamers were you throwing?
[signature]
Awesome cutty! I'm jealous. I also just realized that I have been fly fishing once or twice a week for two years and never caught a cutthroat on the fly. Gonna have to change that this year.
[signature]
the first guy I got on a cone head blue and yellow "chickle" or "chicklet" or something like that. At least that is what the dude at the shop in Jackson called it before he charged me eight bucks for it. Freakin' Jackson. I can send you a pic if you want. The big boy hit a large sculpzilla. Lost that one yesterday on a different stretch of the same river. Funny thing though, I went back to the same spot I got that big boy and threw the same cast. Across and down and then swung it into the cut bank below the tree. Wham! first cast. But this time it was a smaller brown. I guess when I got hit again I kind of assumed that it would be the same fish given how territorial trout can be. How often do you find the same fish in the same place trip after trip? I seem to find it quite a bit and I am not sure why it wasn't the case this time.
[signature]
Thanks! Funny you should say that because i was just thinking that I haven't hooked a rainbow since my fly fishing resurgence a few years ago. I used to catch them on the green when I was a kid with my dad but I have been in Cutty and Brown territory for the last few years. Looks like we both have some work to do this spring.
[signature]
I've done it! I was taking a picture of a nice cutty that I hooked on a dry (not more than 100 yards from these pics) and he flipped down into the water before I could snap the pic and he was already unhooked. Instinctively, I just threw both of my hands into the water to grab him before he got away. Phone went right to the bottom of the river. I have since invested in a "lifeproof" case that is water proof. Now I just rinse the phone off in the river with my hands after I let the fish go. That case has been a total game changer for me. Now I check BFT while i'm in the shower. Maybe you didn't need to know that.
[signature]