Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new tube
okay guys I get cabella bucks for part of my safety bonus every quarter. I bought a trout unlimited kennebec. Don't know much about tubes but it looked like it will get the job done what do you think. Is it okay for a first tube?
[signature]
Hey flyprincess, That sounds like a nice tube to start with. You may even like it enough to keep it. Make sure you take some time to get well acquainted with it and get a feel for it. Some people seem to like the pontoon style tubes and others have a preference for other styles.

If taken care of well, it should give you many happy years of service and fun adventures on the water.

Happy Fishing!!
[signature]
one more thing. I scuba dive, can I use my fins in my float tube as well or do I need to get another pair for that.
[signature]
i would think those would work great with there larger surface area should move you right along i use a pair of fins i've had over 20 years from when i used to boogie board and they work fine
[signature]
cool I'd hate to think i'd have to get new ones. I guess as long as my boots will fit in the fin it will be okay.
[signature]
i'm thinking of buying a new set of fins myself this year have to wear mine barefooted which leaves half my foot out and the rocks just tear you up
[signature]
ya know you can get some neoprene booties that will help alot. They are not too awfully expensive either. What size do you wear I may have some in the dive gear that will fit. I'm not sure where you live but dive ut is a pretty reasonable place for that stuff. I dive master there on occasion. The one in ogden
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey there flyprinces,[/size]

[size 1]Will you also be wearing waders? If so you will need a larger pair of booties to fit over the waders. At any rate bring your waders [if thats the case] and your fins so that you get a good fit. When I bought my booties I thought that I could wear a large however, when I tired to get them over my stocking footed waders I had to go to an extra large.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Hey, Ms. Royalty, welcome to the board. I will attempt to confirm your choice and to help you finish assembling your system. I have lots of pics and writeups if you want to PM me or email me at [url "mailto:pscouten@qwest.net"]pscouten@qwest.net[/url].[/size]

[size 2]Before acquiring my current Super Fat Cat, I jockeyed a Kennebec for a couple of years. I like them for many reasons, but have some issues with them too. So far I have not found a perfect system, but I did like the Kennebec a lot. I will attach a pic or two at the bottom, to show my Kennebec all tricked out...and with a set of regular diving fins as my chosen means of locomotion. [/size]

[size 2]I will also attach a pic of some of the many kinds of footwear you can use between feet and fins. Of course, the larger your foot...after putting a couple of pairs of socks on under the waders...and maybe a neoprene foot section...the larger the bootie or shoe you will have to have...and the larger the foot pocket on your fins.[/size]

[size 2]One of the things I harp on all the time is to buy each item in your ensemble after choosing the other...waders first...then boots...then fins. Try them on before you buy and don't get hung up on sizes. Get what you need to avoid constriction, even if it injures your fragile ego that you need something about three sizes larger than usual. [/size]

[size 2]Comfort is important, especially in cold water fishing. Constriction causes reduced blood flow to the feet and only compounds the discomfort of cold. That extra layer of socks could cost you in warmth, if your boots or fins are too tight.[/size]

[size 2]Let us know what kind of fishing you will be doing and where...and what you have to start with. As you have already observed, we will all do what we can to help you get the most bang for the buck...and the greatest enjoyment of your system.[/size]
[signature]
I have a DUI drysuit for diving as I'm not real keen on cold. My fins were purchased to fit my rock boot that go over my dry suit. upon further investigation they will fit ovr my wader feet as well. my fins are Scuba pro splits they are made for lazy divers that want as much push for their kick withou completely tiring your cardio while smoking thru your reg. ha ha ha. Nice set up on the tube by the way. Quite a bag of fish there. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I don't spin fish I don't really know how. Will it make the set up on my tube different being a flyer?
[signature]
thanks for the offer of booties but my fins fit tight to my foot booties wouldn't work
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Back atcha, FP. Sounds like you have the waders, boots and fins under control. The ultimate test is how comfortably can you fish in iceout or pre-iceup temps. That is, if you are enough of a masochist to get involved in that stuff.[/size]

[size 1]Actually, some of the best fishing of the year is during the two transitional times of late fall and early spring. I used to really get some of my biggest fish out of Strawberry just the week or two before the first skim ice shut down the tubing. [/size]

[size 1]Don't fret none about not using spinning tackle. I use spinning, baitcasting and fly fishing. I also tie flies and build rods, so I am sympathetic to fly flingers. [/size]

[size 1]The Kennebec is made for Trout Unlimited, and is distributed through them. They are made primarily with fly fishermen in mind. I could tell that as soon as I started taking inventory of the pockets. There are a hundred pockets but none of them are big enough to hold a decent sized lure box. Great for extra reels and spools, leader material, small fly boxes, floatant and all the little goodies that dedicated fly persons have to have with them. BUT, very frustrating to a bass chaser who wants to take a box of crankbaits...and maybe some spinnerbaits and buzzbaits.[/size]

[size 1]The Kennebec floats high and the seating is much higher than with a round tube. That means that you get a good ratio of kick to push. It also means that when the breezes kick up, you get moved upon the waters even more.[/size]

[size 1]If you have not already spent your bonus credits, I would advise you to look at the Togiak model...also by Trout Unlimited. It is about the same price, but has the pointed bow, like my Fat Cat. I have really learned to appreciate that when dealing with holding position in the breeze...or fighting my way back to my vehicle after an unexpected hurricane comes up. The large round air chambers of the Kennebec were a lot more difficult to steer in the wind, and if you quit kicking for even a second, you would get whipped around and headed downwind. [/size]

[size 1]You will have fun putting the Kennebec together the first time. The air chambers must be installed in the right sides, and they must be fitted properly to avoid problems with the air valves. You may have to deflate and reposition several times before it goes together right. However, unless you have to repair a leak, there is no need to reposition the chambers after the first setup.[/size]

[size 1]If you have never assembled a floatation system before, it may be intimidating to get a Kennebec set up the first time. Lots of straps and adjustments. Then, there is the stabilizer bar that goes across the front. It holds the two air chambers apart in front and is the front attachment for the stripping apron.[/size]

[size 1]Once on the water in your flatation system, you will find that you have to practice some new wrinkles with your casting. You sit lower in the water, so you cannot work as much line as when you are walking the bank or standing in a boat. The good news is that you don't have to throw as much line. You can get closer to your quarry...very quietly...to make accurate casts and delicate presentations.[/size]

[size 1]Come on back if you have other questions.[/size]
[signature]
so Basically I get to learn something new ie putting a floatation system together and then I get to learn something else, to fly fish from one. cool
[signature]
[cool][size 1]You probably will want to use a longer rod from a float tube. My 8½' rod works out pretty go. It makes no difference to me with my other rods for I like to cast semi side arm.[/size]
[signature]
I just purchased a new 3 weight loomis that is 8' that will work out nicely then won't it
[signature]
i had aqcuired the exact same tube from tube dude this year. i have to say i like it alot better than a conventioan donut style. you can really tread water in one as well. and the ease of fishing from it is better in my opinion than a donut style. im not a tube expert but used mine alot this year. had a opportunity to be towed in it a few times. so i would say good choice.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]That lovely little Loomis should work well on most trout up there, in small lakes. I don't know how large and stout you are, but I would suspect that unless you could try out for the Green Bay Packers that you will appreciate the lighter rod for a full day of fishing.[/size]

[size 1]The only limitations on that stick are that you can't throw a lot of line...or big flies...especially in the breeze. But, again in a float tube, you can usually position yourself within easy casting distance from rising fish, without spooking them.[/size]

[size 1]If you plan to do some sunken line fishing, especially with larger patterns...like wooly buggers or zonkers...you will probably want to add at least a six weight to your collection. If you expand to fishing bass or larger trout...like coastal steelhead...then you can move up to an 8 or 9 weight.[/size]

[size 1]The keys are always 1. What size fish can you expect? 2. How far will you have to cast? 3. What size flies will you be throwing? 4. Will you have to be casting while it is windy?[/size]

[size 1]If you are making short, delicate presentations to small trout, with small dries, the Loomis will be ideal. As soon as you increase the distance, the size of the flies or the fish, you will need more rod to get the job done...especially if you have to punch casts into the wind.[/size]

[size 1]By the way, what reel and line are you balancing up your outfit with?[/size]
[signature]
On my metolious 3 I balance out with a cimmeron 1.5 with a rio widcutter 3wf it is vey nice. feels good. On my GLX3 5-6 I have an evolution #3 with one sinker moderate sink 555line, and one 444wf torpedo taper. I love catfish would like to get something heavey enough to pull in a big cat 8or9. I'm small 5'3, 120#
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Glad to learn you are not a complete dry fly purist type. I like kittyfish too, and have taken a lot of them on flyrods. If you are able to get to Willard Bay, it is ideal for fishing channels on the fly. [/size]

[size 1]I once won a bet by catching 20 channel cats in less than an hour at Willard Bay...all on flies. The bet was that I couldn't catch ANY. [/size]

[size 1]In any water where the water is clear enough for the catfish to become "sight feeders", they will chase minnows and eat flies that resemble minnows. In Willard I have hooked them on everything from white and silver streamers to black wooly buggers...which resemble young catfish after the spawn.[/size]

[size 1]By the way, most of the cats I caught in Willard were on a 9' for a 5-6. with a sink tip line, casting parallel to the rocks from my float tube. I would let it sink for several seconds and then do a nymping strip. I'll tell ya, a three pound cat on that tackle is about all the fun you can stand.[/size]
[signature]
My favorite tubing rod is a med-fast 9' 5wgt. For larger fish, I throw a 9' 7wgt, but that gets a bit too tiring after a while.

ES
[signature]