Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nevada BFT Board Fishing Trip Scheduled for Jan 17th-19th
[center][size 3][size 5]Attention all Nevada[/size][size 5] or Utah BFT Board Fisherman![/size] [/size][/center] [center][size 3][Image: bftn001.jpg][/size][/center]

[size 3][/size]

[size 3]Have you wanted to go fishing but you just keep putting it off. Your football team just lost in the play-offs and there isn’t anything on TV. Well here is your call to do some trout fishing. Whether it is for the weekend or just a day outing we are planning a fishing trip to Southern Utah. Everyone is welcome to come and campout at Baker Dam Reservoir. Snow Canyon is booked up so we will have to do some primitive camping. There is a campground on the hill if you want to stay there but it will cost you $8 I think. Our base camping area will be near the upper lake or below the dam area in the primitive camping area. Here we can go fishing at Baker or travel back to St. George to Quail Creek Reservoir or Stratton Pond. Southernman said he thinks they changed the name of this pond to Hurricane Pond. There are several other places you can go like Enterprise Reservoir, Gunlock Reservoir, Tara Ponds or the pond in St George. We are planning to camp out Saturday-Monday. Monday is the holiday for Martin Luther King Jr. Day. [/size]

[size 3]If you plan on going please contact Nighthawk at the email listed below. [/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[url "mailto:nighthawk@nighthawkcd.com"][#800080][size 3]nighthawk@nighthawkcd.com[/size][/#800080][/url]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3]You must provide your own camping equipment, water containers, food, etc… …Unless you contact us before Thursday Jan 15th. If you don’t have a stove or cooking equipment then I can offer what I have for you to use. There are no picnic tables so bring something to sit in and eat. I can bring several banquet tables along. I have a large commercial 2 burner stove with an optional burner stove. I do most of the cooking in Dutch Ovens. I have plenty of Dutch ovens too. If I need more I can get them. [/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3]Southernman wants me to do my special Nighthawk’s Swiss Steak dinner for Saturday night’s dinner.[/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3]Saturday Nights Dinner Menu[/size]

[size 3]Nighthawk’s Swiss Steak with Mushroom Gravy[/size]

[size 3]1/4 sliced Potatoes Simmered in Dutch Oven Gravy[/size]

[size 3]Golden Whole Corn[/size]

[size 3]Nighthawk’s Raspberry and Cherry Dump Cake Delight Desert[/size]

[size 3][/size]

[size 3] [center][Image: nighthawksdelighta.jpg][/size][/center] [center][size 3]OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH[/size][/center]

[size 3][Image: nighthawksdelightb.jpg][/size] [center][size 3]AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH[/size][/center] [center][size 3][Image: nighthawksdelight.jpg][/size][/center] [center][size 3]YUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMYYYYY[/size][/center] [center][size 3][/size] [/center]

[size 3]Southerman is planning to do his world famous Ohio Chili for another meal. [/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3]We will be posting the rest of the menu up later in the week. This will give everyone a chance to see what we will be having so they can match what we have. It is real simple look at the menu and buy your own food for your own family like some round steak, frozen corn, potatoes etc… I have cooked for scouting events that had 200 plus scouts and leaders. If you want any references just ask hedgesd on Utah board or Southernman [/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3]Utah Fishing licenses can be purchased at the Wal*Mart just before you get to St. George, the K-Mart on Bluff Street/Hwy 18 or purchased on the internet. Click on link below.[/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/"][#800080][size 3] http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/ [/size][/#800080][/url][size 3] [/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3]Here is some info on the area[/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[/url][url "http://www.utahfishfinder.com/fishing.shtml#baker"][#0000ff][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Baker Reservoir[/size][/font][/#0000ff][/url]
[font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff][size 3][/size][/#0000ff][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Baker Reservoir is a small impoundment on the Santa Clara River in extreme southwestern Utah. It is the uppermost of 3 major reservoirs and is located in a broad basin between the Pine Valley Mountains to the east and the Bull Valley Mountains to the west. It receives about 12 to 25 in. of precipitation a year with a frost-free season of 140 to 160 days.
[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Elevation: 4,869 ft.
[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Surface area: 63 acres
[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Depth: 55 ft.
[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]GPS: 113° 38' 06'' / 37° 22' 38''
[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Fish: Stocked with rainbow trout. Also contains brown trout, green sunfish, crayfish, redside shiner, and mountain sucker. Invertebrates include snails and annelids.
[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Location: accessible from the U-18 portion of the Legacy Loop Highway between St. George and Enterprise. It is 4 mi. north of Veyo and 2 mi. south of Central. There is an umpaved road from U-18 that leads east to the reservoir.
[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Facilities: BLM's Baker Reservoir campground is next to the reservoir and has 10 campsites with picnic areas, vault toilets, drinking water but no boat ramp. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]From Las Vegas Nevada go north 116 Miles on I-15 to St George [/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]From St. George go 25 miles north on UT 18 Just past the town of Veyo, Utah[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]From St. George go 10 Miles North on I-15 turn on Hwy 9 and go 9 more miles to Quail Creek Reservoir[/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font] [center][Image: bakerdam.jpg][/center]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Baker Dam Reservoir Campground[/size][/font]

[url "http://www.publiclands.org/html/explore/frame_recsearch.php?searchstate=UT&state_name=Utah"][font "Times New Roman"][#800080][size 3]http://www.publiclands.org/html/explore/frame_recsearch.php?searchstate=UT&state_name=Utah[/size][/#800080][/font][/url]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Quail Creek Campground Information[/size][/font][url "http://www.publiclands.org/html/explore/frame_recsearch.php?searchstate=UT&state_name=Utah"][#800080]http://www.publiclands.org/html/explore/frame_recsearch.php?searchstate=UT&state_name=Utah[/#800080][/url]
[signature]
hopefully we'll get some decent steady weather and some luck with the fishies . .

if anyone wanted to come for a day trip, its only 2-1/2 hrs - 150 miles exactly from vegas to baker dam reservoir . .

sm
[signature]
Southernman is right that is a easy day trip. I'd do it just for the food and fishing but escaping the city is always good.
[signature]
Thanks for the invite but I'm not going to be able to make it. If I had more time I could have put in for vacation. Hope you all have fun and stay warm.
Take care,
David
[signature]
Yea it was a last [size 1]minute[/size] thing for me. We had a scout campout scheduled for that weekend which canx. I then decided to go camping anyway.
[signature]
It would of been nice to meet you but duty calls. There is plenty good fishing days to come so don't worry. Are you going to make it to the Fish Lake BFT party feb 12? It should be a fun experience for anybody.
[signature]
what time you leaving? pick up some nightcrawlers willya?

sm
[signature]
Hey doesn't that store in Veyo have nightcrawlers? I can pick them up there. I haven't figured out what time as of yet. Trying to get everything ready.
[signature]
i dont know in january if theyll have them . . .no biggie, didnt know if you had to go by wal-mart on the way out . . im all set to go, 99% packed, just take outta car . . im going to try to leave here no later than 8 am . .

sm
[signature]
Well Southernman and I went to Baker Dam Reservoir this weekend. Wind was blowing from the north 5 to 10 MPH and was real cold at times. We decided to camp below the dam where we had some kind of wind break. It worked out pretty good. We started to fish near the dam area because someone got the place I have fished before. Water temp was around 38 degrees while outside temp was 45 degrees at 12 noon. Water level was real high and waves were breaking over the dam’s spill way.

[Image: bdr001.jpg]

We used several types of power bait, night crawlers, spoons, and lures. SM and I went through the complete tackle box at them but no fish were biting. Several anglers were fishing from tubes and pontoon tubes but they weren’t catching anything either. One of the guys came over to us and said his fish finder was showing fish at 15 feet. But they were not biting. Several of these guys were fishing the whole lake and didn’t seem to catch anything. We decided to call it a day and cook diner. SM made his world famous Ohio Chili. Boy did that hit the spot. SM did a outstanding job on that chili! Thanks Southernman! We hit our sleeping bags and it got real cold fast. I got up around 2 am and took at temperature reading around 28 degrees. It froze most of our water except what we had in our coolers. I got up around 7 am and started a fire. SM got up several minutes later and we made breakfast. SM suggested we should go to Stratton Pond now called Hurricane Pond and Quail Creek to catch some Rainbows. We hit Stratton first for several hours. I thought I got several bites but nothing wanted to take the hook. SM didn’t even get a bite while we were there. We saw a few other people but they weren’t catching anything either. We were told that it had been stocked but I doubt it was. We decided to go to Quail Creek Reservoir for the rest of the day. [center][Image: qc001.jpg][/center]

We set our line near the dam. Lake is still real low right now. We tried several areas but not even a bite. We saw some boats fishing for bass but they were not catching anything either. After a couple of hours we called it quits. [center][Image: qc002.jpg][/center]

We went back to St George and got some more supplies we needed and took a look at the most recent trout plantings at the cities Tawa Ponds near the ball parks. No one was even fishing them. I don’t think they even planted any fish this year at any on the lakes we were at. I was really disappointed that there were no fish. From the reports I hear about in Northern Utah it seems to me that DWR hasn’t even stocked these lakes for awhile. We went back to Baker Dam and fished for awhile but didn’t get any bite once again. We decided to quit and go get my Swiss steak dinner ready. Hey SouthernMan I had a great time during the weekend and I am looking forward to the spring and early summer for some great fishing in the Boulder Mt and Beaver Mt area. SM and I are planning a fishing trip to Lower Barkers area during Memorial Day Weekend.
[signature]
Oops, that last post was me.
[signature]
Well You just had to be there. I will leave it up to Southernman to discribe. But it must have been yummy! He ate alot.
[signature]
it was so light , it was so good, well i dont even remember eating some!

[angelic]

sm
[signature]