Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Patterns....
All this Wiper talk has me wanting to hit Willard, checked my saltwater box and it looks like I have some stuff that should work, what say you folks?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Those patterns should all work for wipers...and walleyes, crappies, cats and smallmouths...and carp. Anything that feeds on the shad in Willard is likely to accept a reasonable facsimile.

The tough part is finding the fish and then making a presentation at the right depth and speed. That part requires more change-ups and experimentation than the pattern.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat, let me know when you head up next, maybe I will tag along.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Probably be sometime next week. We can watch the weather and plan accordingly.

I still have to "baptize" my new 7 weight so I will probably be bringing it along. Making up some more of my hothead flies in Willard colors.

Just for planning sake, the best fly flinging for wipers over the next month or so will be in shallower water...off gravel humps and just off the shoreline of the dikes. They are going into their false spawn (sterile hybrids) and often cruise only a few feet below the surface closer to shore. And the crappies will also be going more shallow and getting more aggressive. By the first of May it should be prime time for fairy wands.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I usually use a type 2 sinking line at Willard and fish white buggers and zonkers.
Like Pat said, when we locate the wiper, the fly fishing can be very productive.

I have never tried fly fishing Willard with a floating line but it should also work when the fish are in shallow.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I know guys who fish full floating lines...but sometimes add a couple of bb shot ahead of the flies. And a weighted conehead helps to get the fly down deeper and faster too.

I have always preferred a sink tip line...with a type III sinker as a backup for more depth. Since a lot of that fishing is fairly shallow the sink tip is a good 'tweener for a floater and medium sink. When the wipers start busting shad on the surface...after about the first of August...a full floater is the ticket.

Back in earlier times...when the biology of the lake was much different...I worked a six weight with a sink tip along the rocks north of the south marina. I was usually targeting the numerous crappies that stayed close to the rocks most of the year. And the crappies were the primary forage species before gizzard shad were introduced...and no wipers. The walleyes and catfish (predators) stayed close to the crappies near the rocks so there was not much to be gained by fishing the open lake.

The attached dead fish picture (no longer proud of) shows a triple limit of 50 crappies, 8 cats and 2 walleyes over 20 inches. The actual limit on walleyes was 6, but only 2 over 20 inches. And it was almost impossible to find any smaller than 20 inches. They were all caught on my 6 weight with white, black or chartreuse flies...in about 4 hours of morning fishing. I actually caught many more crappies and a few more cats and walleyes. And as I recall, I was about the only person on the lake on a Saturday morning. Ah, the good ol' days. (About 1979)
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice flies. I need to pick up another reel for my 7/8 wt rod and put some sinking line on it. Those flies will work great. Also good for pike.
[signature]
That far right one looks like it would be money there. These are the flies that I've used in my two Willard trips (although I haven't caught anything yet).
[inline 20150403_151443.jpg][inline 20150323_190439.jpg]
[signature]
Those look good. The fly on the top left looks very close to the pattern I had success with a few weeks ago. Lots of good ideas on fly line. One that hasn't been mentioned in a good slow intermediate line. I think in shallow water, less than 10feet, its the perfect line for this type of fishing.

Good luck! I am hoping to make it up to Willard on Sunday

Mark
[signature]
Thanks for the input guys, working all weekend this weekend then the Green next weekend, maybe I will leave early on Sunday and come home and hit Willard.
[signature]
I would stay at the Green. Willard is only starting to come on. The Green should be prime.
Either way you will have a great time.
[signature]
I will be at willard on Sunday on one of my friends boat fly fishing [cool].
[signature]
Any of those patterns you have will work. Those wipers are hungry right now. Here is a fly I used at Willard last weekend. I was able to land 4 wipers in about an hour. As mentioned above locating the fish is key. I spent a few hours just boating around looking for fish on my fish finder.
[signature]
Good looking fly!
[signature]
Thanks, and that is a nice looking fly.
[signature]
That is a nice looking pattern. Do you mind sharing the recipe?
[signature]
you have friends? haha! cant wait. when youre on my boat, you catch fish.. well, i do at least. ha! this is what i tied up for willard.
[inline P1040256.JPG]
[signature]
Looks good….I am thinking I will give it a shot in a week or so, guess I will be at the Green Fri-Sun.
[signature]
Quote:That is a nice looking pattern. Do you mind sharing the recipe?

Sure, It's a pretty simple pattern that uses EP fibers for the body, and UV epoxy over the eyes and head.

Hook, Daiichi 3111, 1/0.
White thread.
White EP fibers on bottom.
Minnow EP fibers on top.
Trim fly to desired shape.
Living Eyes, wind 6mm.
Loon UV epoxy over the eyes and head.
Aqua blue sharpie on the back, and yellow sharpie on the side.
Get the fly damp before adding the sharpie. It helps to blend in the colors.

Here is another one shown while in water. Some light blue crystal flash sandwiched between white fibers on the tail, and olive fibers on the head. Not sure I like the white tail. I will probably tie some more, using the light grey for the tail.
[signature]
Nice….Sharpies kick @ss!!
[signature]