Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Trip To Montana
Hi all i am new to the site. I am a big salt water fisherman and dont dabble much into the fresh water scene. However I will be going to Montana May 22nd for 7 days. We will be staying in Craig. I am not a huge fly fisherman. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good spinning rod set up. What weight rod and length. I have a feeling all my saltwater spinning rods might be to heavy for Montana. Any info is much appreciated along with any other information anyone maybe able to pass a long, gear,what to bring, where to eat etc.... Thanks all!
Mike
[signature]
Used to live in Great Falls for several years and that part of the Missouri were my favorite fishing grounds. For fly fishing I always used a 9', 5 wt flyrod. Did a good amount of spinning also.....recommend a 7' rod with a light action.....usually one that rates for 4-10 lbs test. May is a good time to find active browns between Craig and the Holter Dam. The best producer by far for me that time of year was a Rapala floating minnow. Usually used a brown trout or brook trout pattern.....use ones that are 2 3/4", or smaller....larger doesn't seem to get bit well. Also use the Countdown models in the same sizes and colors. If you see rising fish throw the lures in front and past the rises......many of those fish will strike.

Have fun,

Brian
[signature]