Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
snapping turtle encounters --- dangerous or no?
hi all, i'm looking into purchasing a float tube for fishing soon. 1 of my concerns are the large snapping turtles we have here in western NY state...the ones that are 1' to 2' in diameter that i see. might it happen that whilst i am in the middle or side of a pond dangling my feet or fins while fishing, that they take a snap / bite into my toes or feet?? this really has me nervous and might be the deciding factor of my getting a pontoon instead.

thanks for any insight / advice! [Wink]
[signature]

I wear scuba boots with my fins, mostly for knocking around at the waters edge before launch.
So Im wearing boots, fins and waders.
I know turtles have a strong bite, but these would blunt the force pretty well.
And any turtle that wants to take a bite from my Avanti Quattros (fins) is welcome to try... they are tough as iron.

Nevertheless, I have not had any turtle do more than surface nearby. It seems they may be curious, but as soon as they get a good look at me, they turn and dive away.
I suppose if you used a towed fish basket for your catches, turtles might overcome their timidity and venture a nip.
But so far, theyve kept a respectful distance.

Personally, I think youre smart to consider all the hazards. I also respectfully recommend you stop analyzing and just get that tube!

Once you do, youll be so mesmerized by the experience experience that youll wonder what you ever worried about.
[signature]
thanks for the reply David! [Wink]
[signature]
Dave is right. I was very nervous going out on a small tube until about 10 min. into the experience and then you realize its very safe. I have to think the turtle threat is minimal if you have enclosed fins. I wear wading boots.

I think the only real risks in a tube are (1) if you slash it with a knife -- so don't carry one on your tube; and (2) the crazies in water skiing boats that love to see how close they can get to your tube. I avoid such lakes and the most pleasant are those that only allow electric trolling motors.

The first few times out, stay close to shore until you learn your limits and get comfortable in your tube.
[signature]
[#0000FF]No matter where you wade, tube, boat, swim or whatever there are potential hazards. But they are always worse in your mind than in reality.

Among nature's hazards are not only big turtles but various kinds of poisonous snakes, alligators (in the south), beavers, etc. Add in potential encounters with dogs, coyotes, belligerent bovines, rock throwing onlookers, crazy power craft and you have a whole bunch of potential excuses for not going afloat.

I have been tubing for well over 50 years...fresh water and salt...rivers and lakes...you name it. I have shared the water with turtles, snakes, gators and sharks. Never had an inkling of a close call. One exception. A large green sea turtle in the Sea of Cortez wanted to climb up on my tube with me. I just told him I had a headache.

Most turtles will boogie if they feel you kicking or walking toward them. And they usually are only harmful to people who try to catch or handle them. Just like snakes.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]I have shared the water with....gators and sharks.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

Dude I think you have serious thrill issues.[Tongue]
[signature]
I wade fished the Port of Aransas with sharks, sting rays, jelly fish and various others.....the Jelly fish were interested in me....LOL Too bad the Sheepshead weren't as interested.[frown]

Were I fish now, the Turtles definitely are more scared of me.
[signature]
where's the "Thanks" or "Like" buttons at!?

thanks for all the supportive replies [Smile]
[signature]
"Were I fish now, the Turtles definitely are more scared of me."

[#0000FF]They should be. I would be too. Nothing is safe when you are swinging that rod.

I too have fished around Aransas...and up at Corpus Christi. Lots of nice reds and specks...with a few flounders and other odd species available. Never fished for the sheepshead but caught a few. Nasty teeth. But "poor man's lobster" if you know how to fix their firm white flesh.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I do not deliberately put myself at risk. But if you put off fishing for the "what if" factors you will never go fishing.

Got bit by a snake once. In spite of everything we could do...it died.

Seriously, I fear driving on Utah freeways more than I ever have to go fishing where there MIGHT be some dangerous critters. Been injured worse by catfish spines than anything.

[inline CAT-CUPUNCTURE.jpg]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm ready for some trout now. [cool]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Are your war wounds all healed up?

My knee and ankle are good enough to go out and kick around again so I am getting in some warm water stuff. Looks like Deer Creek is gonna be a problem for awhile. Will start hitting Starvation soon. Might even go after some trout too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I am ready to rock and roll, even got a new boat! Problem at Deer Creek?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Quagga mussel restrictions. Closed to launching at both Charleston and the Island. All craft must be decontaminated after getting off the water.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Right.... I figured I would use my Assault there. Then I have 3 or 4 other boats on the clean waters...
[signature]
[#0000FF]That's okay if you just want to launch at the main ramp. The others are CLOSED.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I read that Charleston was closed, but the ramp that we usually launch (Island) is closed too? That doesn't make sense.
[signature]
Report from Saturday/Friday stayed ramp at the island is open with a decon unit there.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]No matter where you wade, tube, boat, swim or whatever there are potential hazards. But they are always worse in your mind than in reality.

Among nature's hazards are not only big turtles but various kinds of poisonous snakes, alligators (in the south), beavers, etc. Add in potential encounters with dogs, coyotes, belligerent bovines, rock throwing onlookers, crazy power craft and you have a whole bunch of potential excuses for not going afloat.

I have been tubing for well over 50 years...fresh water and salt...rivers and lakes...you name it. I have shared the water with turtles, snakes, gators and sharks. Never had an inkling of a close call. One exception. A large green sea turtle in the Sea of Cortez wanted to climb up on my tube with me. I just told him I had a headache.

Most turtles will boogie if they feel you kicking or walking toward them. And they usually are only harmful to people who try to catch or handle them. Just like snakes.
[/#0000ff][/quote]

Good assessment, TD!
One thing I don't know is the temperment of snapping turtles. Have they ever been known to chase for the sake of being ornery or aggressive like say, disturbed bees? I have been stung by bees and fire ants around water over my 40+ years tooning but no other bothers. Sharks and gators don't attack/chase like bees in my experience, but then I don't keep many fish- and would use an ice chest if those creatures are around. My troll motor powered toons and tubes sit with my rump and feet above water, and scare away creatures- don't need or use fins which might attract attention.

PM

PS: I keep one of these retractable razor knives pinned to my shirt for use in case I need to quickly cut free- from being tangled in a sinking tube/ toon/ anchor line, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Our-Favorite-...KEX26ZAE1Z
[signature]
"One thing I don't know is the temperment of snapping turtles. Have they ever been known to chase for the sake of being ornery or aggressive"

[#0000FF]I don't claim to know everything about snappers. But from my experience and from what I have heard from others there is little danger from them while tubing. First of all, they act more like prey than predator. They try to escape when possible without confrontation. But if cornered or captured they can put up a nasty fight.

I suppose that if you inadvertently stepped on one while launching or beaching you could provoke a bite. But otherwise they will either remain motionless to avoid detection or move away if they feel they are threatened.

That doesn't mean that you will never get munched if you come into range of their jaws. Everybody (every turtle) can have a bad day and get cranky. But because they are so scarce in areas where a lot of humans hang out the odds are slim.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]