Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Reservoir Brown Trout
For the first time in recent memory the DWR has stocked Brown Trout back in Starvation Reservoir ! Thank You DWR, the more Brown Trout the better !
[signature]
I sure hope what perch that are left in there have a good spawn this year or all those predators are going to be getting real skinny. Hopefully DWR plants some forage fish in there too..... Fishon
[signature]
I'm just speaking from experience but in my time fishing at starvation all of the fish I've caught are fat and have puked up crawdads. And if you've ever looked around the shallows at night with a flashlight there are plenty of them.
[signature]
I think your right about the forage fish !

My list of lakes the DWR should stock with gizzard shad !

1. Starvation Reservoir
2. Yuba Reservoir
3. Gunlock Reservoir
4. Sand hollow Reservoir
5. Quail Creek reservoir

" For years, there has been, and continues to be, the widely held belief that gizzard shad are harmful to sportfish populations in ponds and lakes. This belief was held by the public and disseminated as scientific fact by state fisheries agencies. It was also taught as scientific fact at major universities across the country. As with all things scientific, progress is made, technology advances, old dogmas are challenged and things once considered as fact are found to be baseless. Such is the case with stocking gizzard shad in ponds. "

See
Stocking Gizzard Shad at [url "http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/gizzard_shad.html"]http://www.bassresource.com/...gy/gizzard_shad.html[/url]
[signature]
[quote JLW]I sure hope what perch that are left in there have a good spawn this year or all those predators are going to be getting real skinny. Hopefully DWR plants some forage fish in there too..... Fishon[/quote]

Do you consider perch as a forage fish, or a predator?
[signature]
I think all of those lakes mentioned would be great lakes for gizzard shad....but I seriously doubt that the feds would ever allow it to happen because of endangered species concerns (except maybe Starvation...I am not sure about that one).
[signature]
I am so sick of the feds and there endangered species concerns !

What about the fisherman of Utah and there concerns !
[signature]
I'm not....without their concern we wouldn't have some of these species any more and/or we would be losing others....to me that is a far bigger shame than not having another prey source in a lake.

What I'm sick of is Utah's far right mentality that says we should rape, pillage, and plunder all of the land inside our borders and to hell with conserving anything for our future generations. I am sick of this selfish attitude that says we shouldn't worry about long term ramifications of decisions we make today....
[signature]
You can have your Virgin River Chub's I will keep voting for big bass & trout !
[signature]
+1
[signature]
Introducing non-native species is a tricky business and can turn into a disaster quickly. These ecosystems are often delicate and poorly understood. I think we need to depend on scientific studies to decide the merit of introducing these fish here. I also don't want to turn our fisheries into "game farm" type outfits like we see on the so called hunting shows now. Catching native, naturally reproducing fish is still so much of a thrill at least for me.
[signature]
That is great news. I hope they start stocking more browns in other lakes and reservoirs. They are so small though,I hope they don't just become a new food source.[fishon]
[signature]
Let the DWR do the scientific studies to decide the merit of introducing gizzard shad. But the DWR should tell us there reasons for or against putting gizzard shad in these 5 Reservoirs

1. Starvation Reservoir
2. Yuba Reservoir
3. Gunlock Reservoir
4. Sand hollow Reservoir
5. Quail Creek reservoir
[signature]
[quote wormandbobber]I'm not....without their concern we wouldn't have some of these species any more and/or we would be losing others....to me that is a far bigger shame than not having another prey source in a lake.

What I'm sick of is Utah's far right mentality that says we should rape, pillage, and plunder all of the land inside our borders and to hell with conserving anything for our future generations. I am sick of this selfish attitude that says we shouldn't worry about long term ramifications of decisions we make today....[/quote] what species of fish are you worried about, that is going to be unavailable in the future?
[signature]
[quote Beautiful-Fish]You can have your Virgin River Chub's I will keep voting for big bass & trout ![/quote]

Why does it have to be one or the other? Smart management can allow both.

Utah lake has an active endangered species restoration going on currently, but the last time I checked, (today actually) the fishing there is pretty good.

One other thing. Quail creek has many of the biggest bass in the state and Sand Hollow is probably the best overall largemouth fishery in the state. Why risk messing that up with a new, unneeded introduction? Just because a non scientific/ non refereed website says its a good thing. Why should I believe what that says over professional biologists?
[signature]
Who said the professional biologists with DRW would be against it ? Word on the street is the DWR was overjoyed when the Gizzard Shad got lose in Lake Powell and it was the feds that were having a cow !
[signature]
[quote mtncat1][/quote] what species of fish are you worried about, that is going to be unavailable in the future?[/quote]

All of them.

It is our responsibility to do whatever we can to preserve all species, no matter what their current perceived value is. As responsible stewards of wildlife, we owe it to each species to do everything in our power to keep them here.

People complain all the time about the June Sucker recover program. But what most anglers fail to realize is that every thing they do to help the suckers benefits ALL species in Utah Lake.

Would the DWR like to have gizzard shad in more lakes? Maybe. But that doesn't mean that they can just go throw them wherever they want. You asked for a reason why they are against putting them in a list of lakes -- that shouldn't be too hard to get those reasons:

1. Starvation (I don't know this one, but I'm sure you could find out pretty easy by calling the aquatics group and asking)
2. Yuba -- least chub issues. Endangered species.
3. Gunlock -- Endangered species. Virigin River chub, woundfin, and spinedace. Introducing any new species to this system would be pretty difficult.
4. Sand Hollow -- see answer to #3
5. Quail Creek -- see answer to #3
[signature]
5 lakes mentioned and 4 responses that we are unable to do anything because of endangered species, this example should be enough to spotlight the problem.
[signature]
[quote Dog-lover]5 lakes mentioned and 4 responses that we are unable to do anything because of endangered species, this example should be enough to spotlight the problem.[/quote]

Who says we are unable to do "anything"? We just can't use shad. Look at the new Red Fleet plan. Like it or not, the DWR seems to be bending over backwards to come up with new solutions that are compatible with endangered species concerns.

You guys have never bothered to answer my question about why you feel it is necessary to dump in a bunch of new species in 2 of the best LMB lakes in the state? Why risk messing them up?

Finally, regarding Starvation. How about a non endangered species answer. Gizzard shad are an open water zooplankton eating fish. Rainbow trout are the same. A big population of gizzards would undoubtedly spell the end of the outstanding "Starvation steelhead" fishery there. In case you haven't noticed, those fish have become quite popular and have coexisted very nicely with the existing warmwater species.
[signature]
yeah...exactly! The problem is that we are doing a terrible job of conserving and protecting native species.

If hunters had the same mentality that fishermen have, we would be hunting all kinds of exotic deer species and native mule deer would be on the way out....! Thank goodness that kind of stupidity hasn't taken a foothold...yet!

The funny thing is that of the 5 lakes mentioned....haven't all of them provided really good fishing in recent years?
[signature]