Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Reservoir Brown Trout 2
TubeDude " [#0000ff]About 2 years ago on Starvy I had a big wide brown follow in a crankbait up at Knight Hollow. I watched it keep pace for quite a ways and then turn off and dive back down in the depths. I thought it was a huge carp at first, but got a good look at it's shape and the spots when it was close enough. Scared me."

[/#0000ff]That's what In am talking about. When I made the original post to start this, I was thinking about the few big browns that have given me more than a fight. It was epic battles that lasted some times over a hour. If you have never had a big brown on your line you just don't understand the adrenalin rush this fish will generate. The memory of a fight with a big brown will last a lifetime. I am all most 70 year this month and remember every battle with big browns, a life time total of 9 fish. I only landed 5 of the nine and was total outclassed and beat by the others. If I had my way the DWR would stock more browns than rainbows in this state. I know most don't feel this way but you would if you had those 9 browns on your line. So every time the DWR stocks a brown in this state I stand up and cheer. About my comments about gizzard shad, many of reservoirs in this state lack a food source for big fish to feed on, other than game fish, what would be the best food source for big fish to eat is subject to debate, but it should be debated !
[signature]
I agree totally. Bring on the brown trout. Thank you DNR for planting some. Please plant more[fishon]
[signature]
Lot's of comments to make....many deleted. I'll stick with this:

Have you ever considered why the DWR stocks the brown trout the way they do??

Sometimes you have to look at the "return to creel", or the "return on investment".

Someone mentioned on the other thread "what happens to all the brown trout they stock in Minersville?".

The question is asked because you very rarely hear of anyone catching a brown from the reservoir. I have fished Minersville for about 30 years -- and I can count on 1 FINGER the number of browns I've caught from the reservoir!

Why is this? Many answers come to mind:
1. Reservoir brown trout have a reputation for being harder to catch.
2. Brown trout very often leave the lakes they are stocked in, preferring the streams entering and leaving the lakes.

Are brown trout really a viable option for reservoirs and lakes in Utah? Is the investment worth the return to creel?

If the answer to those questions were "yes" then I think you would probably see more reservoirs managed specifically for brown trout.

One last question: Do you think this is a new idea that has not been considered, debated, questioned, and reviewed?
[signature]
I just received a pic via text message of a 15 pound rainbow caught in a utah reservoir without any prey fish....I think I would personally treasure the opportunity of catching a 15 pound rainbow than a 15 pound brown any day of the week. I would also treasure more lakes like the one where this fish was caught that is void of prey species (chubs, minnows, suckers, shad etc.). But, that is just me....
[signature]