Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which tube will convert him?
Hey everybody,

I'm trying to get my little brother into float tubing, and he's interested, he just has budget constraints (after all he's only 18 years old and still in high school). So, I'm trying to figure out which tube to suggest he buy. I've been looking though cabelas and I think I've found a couple that will fit his budget, but still be decent tubes. They both come with free fins which will save him another $30.00 or so. Here they are:

$89.99 (includes free fins and pump)
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2298;]

$49.99 (includes FREE fins)
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2297;]

So, what does everyone think? Are either of these worth the money? Is the quality good enough to last a couple of years or will they fall apart? Will it work for a first tube? Which one? He's 5'9" tall and about 145 lbs. Thanks for the help. --Kevin--
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Getting in and out of a U tube is a breeze. The donuts would appear to me for dunking. If you get my drift! Sounds like a good deal to me for the tube and the freebees.[/size]
[signature]
I agree. My tube is a donut that I got like 6 years ago. I've used it enough to know how to avoid dunking myself, but for him as a beginner I'd hate to see him take a dunk his first try and never want to try again!
[signature]
[size 2]I have had them all. I would recommend pontoon style or u style for control. That is my personal experience.[Wink][/size]

[size 2]I would check Sportmart.com or Turnersoutdoorman. They both run specials all the time. My friend got a nice water skeeter brand pontton for like $50 on sale, normally $70-$80. By the time he got fins it was like$80 total.[/size]

[size 2]Hope that helps alittle.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, Kevin, the Creek company is well known for quality. The U boat would be the best design, as has been stated by others...and as you agree from your experiences with the round tubes.[/size]

[size 1]I looked at Cabelas on line and was surprised to see that they have backed off on the Caddis line. Last year they had some similar specials, including fins, for a couple of the Caddis U boats. [/size]

[size 1]Shop the local outlets and hit a fishing show if there is going to be one in the area. If you have the time to look you can find some good buys.[/size]

[size 1]Post up any others that you are looking at and we can try to help you narrow the search.[/size]
[signature]
Hey thanks Pat, I will. I talked to my little bro. and he says he can probably afford the $50 one. I wish I was in the position to just buy him one cause I'd rather get one that will last and that will be of high quality, instead of one like mine that I'd rather trade in if I had the funds myself. I'll keep looking and let you know what I find.
[signature]

Hi cat_man,

Please, please tell him to wait. There is such a difference in these two styles. If he could buy the u-boat style, you might convert too. If you can affort it, why don't you buy it and you may want to keep it and pass your donut to him for the time being. Once you can BOTH compare, I'm sure you'll both go for the U-boat.

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2] I would concur with Ron. I would tell him to save up more $$$ and go for the U-Shape or full pontoon style. It is worth it. [/size]

[size 2]I would check local fishing outlets like Big 5, Sportmart or Turners with Martin Luther King day coming up this Monday there may be some sales over weekend. Who knows![/size]

[size 2] [/size]
[signature]
I too fished enough years out of the donut shaped tube. The U-boat is just like being in heaven. Since then I have upgraded to a FishCat which has the Vshaped hull. That one is sweet. It cost a few more dollars but well worth it.

I would also recommend the Uboat for the starter kit for your bro.
[signature]
I agree, and I am already converted. I'd love to get a V - shaped tube like the Fish Cat 4 or even the Super Fat Cat -- If I could afford it. Unfortunately, being married, my wife expecting our first baby, and going to school full time does not give me much of a fishing budget. I'm lucky to have enough to buy myself a license and a few new lures every year. 3 more semesters and I'm in the clear. Anyway, thanks everyone for the great advice. I think he'll enjoy even the round tube, although I'm still searching for a good inexpensive U - shaped tube.
[signature]
I upgraded from the regular donut, to the Caddis U boat, and now the FishCat 4. It is a nice tube and I don't see needing another tube for quite awhile.
[signature]
[size 2]I like Caddis and Water Skeeter. I currently own both. They have been very good to me. No problems with material falling apart or bladders bursting ( except after a 6 pack[blush] ) all and all good tubes for the price.[/size]
[signature]
Hey Catman, I would still recommend the Uboat one for 89 dollars. Did you check Cabela's?? Some times they run specials as well.
[signature]
Yeah, the two I posted, both the round tube and the u-boat are from the cabelas catalog (online). I totally agree with you. I've checked a couple local stores here too, and haven't found anything better. I agree 100%. However, I think he's decided on the round tube anyway. He was reluctant enough as it is to spend the $50.00. He's in high school and currently doesn't work because football and track take up too much of his after school time. Plus he's gonna start college this fall, go one semester, then leave on a mission after that. So, I think the round one will do for now at least. If I could afford it I'd sell him my round tube for 30 or 40 then put it towards the U-boat for me! [Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]I think we get spoiled. My first few tubes were all round ones, and I had some great times fishing in them. Didn't have any concept of an open ended craft. Heck, if a truck tried to run on a tire shaped like a horseshoe it would be in big trouble.[/size]

[size 1]We have been blessed being able to enjoy the benefits of modern materials and technology. We can now choose from a wide range of craft...in all sizes, shapes and colors...and to fit almost any budget.[/size]

[size 1]Go ahead and stick him in the round tube. He won't know the difference unless you tell him. And if you do...and he decides he likes this perverted pursuit...then he can set some goals and save for the upgrade.[/size]

[size 1]Better to start somewhere than never to have started at all.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey there TubeN2,[/size]

[size 1]You have got that right. I remember as a kid several of us got a hold of this tube from a big earth moving rig. Guess what? That became our rubber boat from which we could do our fishing. [/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Back in the late fifties (yeah I'm that old), I was a kid in California. I used to take an inner tube out to ride the waves off several beaches. When I was able to get out past the waves, I could often see fish swimming around, if the water was clear enough.[/size]

[size 1]That was enough for me. I started taking a small spinning rod and some bait out with me. If I didn't get beat to death by waves, I could paddle out with my hands and dunk bait for perch and smelt...and the occasional tomcod or small shark.[/size]

[size 1]In short order, I had started useing fins to propel me while sitting "sideSaddle" in the tube. Only after much experimenting did I come up with using a bigger tube and fashioning a seat so that I could sit down inside with my legs fully below the water. Some of my early experiments in seats almost made me a eunuch. Lucky I'm not fishing with a high pitched voice these days.[/size]

[size 1]I may not have been the inventor of float tubing, but I did invent it for me. I understand that some good old boys in Oklahoma were using inner tubes for bass fishing as early as the forties. [/size]

[size 1]They put together a commercially made cover for inner tubes and started the Fishmaster company. It was the first on the market. I got my first store bought tube in the mid 70's. It was a Fishmaster. I went through several of them before others began to hit the market. [/size]

[size 1]I probably fished out of twenty different "round boats" before getting my Kennebec about three or four years ago. Now I doubt I would ever get back in a donut, unless it was all that was available and there was some fishin' to be done. They still work as good as they ever have. Just that the open ended craft make launching and beaching so much easier.[/size]
[signature]
I decided to jump in here ... being a tube fisherperson! A couple of years ago while visiting Salt Lake early in the year, we attended the annual sports show at the Salt Palace (I think that is what it is still called), there were several items being sold for incredibly good prices. I would strongly suggest waiting 'til that comes along if you can and check it out for a good deal!
[signature]
My final thought. Everyone I know who tubes, and I know quite a few people ,started in round tubes but quickly moved to the u-shape and later to a pontoon shape.

It seems to me the majority of experienced tube fishermen/and women[Wink] prefer the other type. Each person ultimatley needs to make there own choice but I would weigh the pro and cons first. If we talking about a difference of $30 and he already had fifty I would start saving and I am sure before summer he could get a really nice tube which he will more than likely not have to upgrade later.

I would hate to hear about him dropping $50+ only 6 months later to drop another $80 to get something he will probably would of upgraded to anyway. I mean if we were talking about several hundred dollars then I could see not doing it but $30 is only a couple carwash's or lawns moved or whatever.

To bad he didn't live in Southern California. I would give him some odd's and end's to do for me and pay him the $30![sly]
[signature]
Thanks to everyone for all your comments and suggestions. You've been very helpful. I agree, and I wish he could just save up the extra cash as well. Here are the reasons why this won't work for us:

1) I'm selfish and I don't want him to wait until summer. I want to take him out in late Feb. or early March for prespawn Walleye on Utah Lake.
2) He actually has enough money, he's just saving it for other things like college in the fall plus at the end of the year he may be leaving the country for 2 years. So, it's not that he CAN'T afford the U-tube I guess, it's that he WON'T. (If I were him I wouldn't care I'd get the U shaped one anyway and worry about everything else later.
3) He has no job and no way to earn money until school's out in May.

So, I think the round tube it is. Again, thanks to everyone for your help and input. It won't be hard to make him think a round tube is fun too -- IT IS! I have a round tube and "don't know any better" either, and I have lots of fun so I'm sure he will too. [Tongue]
[signature]