Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Halo Rods
Local company that makes beautiful rods. Anyone have any experience with them? Thinking of picking up a 3wt...

http://bluehalostore.com
[signature]
I messed around with one for a few hours and loved it. It was so effortless to cast. Very different from a graphite rod in my opinion but it was lots of fun.
[signature]
Everybody who's had one loves them! And you can't beat glass! That's funny because I was thinking about buying one today also.
[signature]
Glass does well for 5wt and down. If you want to punch through wind and want distance then graphite rods are better at it 6wt and up. So it depends on what you like. Glass tends to be a lot cheaper so they have that going for them.
[signature]
Follow up to this post, I ended up buying a 3wt in sky blue from Blue Halo. First impressions I was amazed at how it felt. Paired it up with an Okuma SLV reel and Rio Trout LT double tapered line and hit the creek! I've never really fished or casted glass before but I have to say that almost instantly I was in love with it. So smooth and so much feel to what is going on. For the first time since taking up fly fishing it felt like how fly fishing (in my mind) was meant to feel. I was blown away at how delicate it landed the fly on the water. Very very impressed...

Ended up catching 6 little brown in the hour window between crappy weather we had today. Hopefully the wind and the weather breaks a couple more times this week to get out.
[signature]
Another guy hooked. Glass has soul! Check out fiberglass flyrodders forum and The Fiberglass Manifesto.
[signature]
Glass can be a blast. I know what you mean about the feeling. I used to have a lot of glass rods, but have sold all but one. I like glass for small waters, but not so much on the changing winds and such on the bigger stuff.

Sometimes I want to lay down delicate casts. Other times I want to bomb out big terrestrials.
[signature]