Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 species in Utah 2015
Fantastic! Now that sounds like a great year.
[signature]
Good to see anglers out there expanding their horizons. I myself am still obsessed with catching every species in Utah. Just down to the exotic species now like Talipia, sacramento perch, etc....and those are more about location, location, location!!

The idea of catching different species for me really took off when I created the fly fishing contest a few years ago. It really took some effort to adapt to what fly certain species like and whatnot and by targeting so many species I truly became a better angler for it.

This year BFT is running a Open Water Contest that involves 8 species. Looks like Doggonefishing pretty much would have won it before it even started!
[signature]
I have nine species this year so far all with a fly rod on a fly.

Brown Trout
Rainbow Trout
Cutthroat Trout
Large mouth Bass
Small mouth Bass
Wiper
Crappie
Perch
Bluegill

Still on my list is Tiger Muski, Carp, Tiger Trout, Walleye, and Catfish.

I like the goal of a fish from every county. I might have to try that next year on a fly rod.

Mark
[signature]
Is wall lake open now? I looked it up on google maps and it looks like it would be a fun little hike to take the kids or even the scouts.
[signature]
Wall Lake is not open yet. Still 14 inches of snow up at Trial Lake (Wall Lake, Trial Lake, and Washington Lake parking lots are all the same area. I didn't mean to suggest going right away, but simply point it out as a good place for Tiger Trout. I'm hoping the Mirror Lake Highway opens soon. . .
[signature]
It's been a few years since I was up there last. I may need to make another trip when it opens up. Maybe one of my trout only trips later this summer when I am looking to beat the heat in the valley.
[signature]
That makes sense. I thought this was a little early.

Thanks for the suggestion
[signature]
Good goal! I think I pulled it off in 2013, some of them on the hard deck. Starvation is a great place to really get after a few species. You can readily catch walleye, SMB, perch, bows and a few browns there.

LMB (Mantua)
Bluegill (Mantua)
SMB (PV, Starvy)
Cutt (Strawberry)
Rainbow (Strawberry, Starvy, Mantua)
Brown (Starvy)
Perch (PV)
Crappie (PV, Willard)
Tiger (Causey)
Walleye (Starvy, Willard, UL)
Cats (Willard)
Chub (Starvy)
[signature]
This is such an awesome thread!

It inspired me to start keeping track and set a long-term goal to catch every species in Utah, including tough-to-find ones like golden trout, tilapia, and Sacramento perch.
[signature]
I keep track but most of the fish I have caught have been over a 20 year period[cool]
[signature]
Awesome Thread. Before I started reading this website I'd also only caught a few species of trout and some catfish and carp at Lake Powell. Within a year I started branching out.

Last year in Utah I caught:

Tiger Trout (Scofield)
Cutthroat Trout (Scofield, Strawberry)
Brown Trout (Deer Creek)
Rainbow Trout (DC, Strawberry)
Walleye (Deer Creek, Lake Powell)
Channel Catfish (Lake Powell)
Bluegill (Lake Powell)
Small Mouth Bass (Deer Creek, Jordanelle, Lake Powell)
Large Mouth Bass (Lake Powell)
Common Carp (Lake Powell)
Striped Bass (Lake Powell)
Kokanee Salmon (Strawberry)
Yellow Perch (Jordanelle)
Black Crappie (Deer Creek)
Utah Chub (Scofield, Strawberry)

I really want to add Lake Trout to my catch list this year. I have two Fish Lake weekends booked up to try. I'd take a small one even to get it off the bucket list.

Normally I make a Yuba run for Northern Pike but I didn't last year. I also didn't make it to Fish Lake last year, so no Splake (but I have caught them before).

By the way, you have not lived until you've fished striper boils at Lake Powell. I HIGHLY recommend it.

I also highly recommend learning to jig walleyes there. It's one of the easiest places to get them in the state IMHO -- and you'll be doing the fishery a favor removing any you can!
[signature]
Impressive list. Thanks for sharing. Lake Powell is definitely on my list for this year. I love seeing where you catch them too. SO many great places to fish in this state"
[signature]
Oh the list I could give from fishing all over even out of state of what I have kept track of since 1994.

Columbia River squawfish (Yakima River)
North slope cutthroat (north fork of the Clearwater)
Yellowstone cutthroat
Bear River cutthroat
Lahontan cutthroat
Bonneville cutthroat
Round tail chub
Utah chub
White bass
Striped bass
Wiper
Largemouth bass
Smallmouth bass
Bluegill
Green sunfish
Crappie
Walleye
Yellow perch
Tiger Muskie
Northern pike
Bullhead catfish
Channel catfish
Carp
Rainbow trout
Splake
Brown trout
Brooke trout
Rainbow trout
Albino rainbow trout
Tiger trout
White fish (Henry's fork of the snake)
Arctic grayling

There will be more added this year. Especially with my plans coming up this next month.

Want to catch:
Golden trout
Green back cutthroat
Colorado River cutthroat
Kokanee salmon
Bull trout
Saugeye
Sauger
True Muskie
Dolly varden
Lake trout
Burbot
Shell cracker (red ear sunfish)
Pumpkinseed
Sturgeon
White crappie
Sacramento perch
Tilapia

And any other that will take my hook. I may never see some of these in my life time but hey I can dream.[cool]
[signature]
Yup, some of those aren't gonna come from Utah waters, that I know of!
Think this thread has taken the rounds before, but here we go again.

I'm sure there are variations, but for me a cutthroat is a cutthroat. As there are different variants of Whitefish too. Then you get into cross-gender mixes like Cutbows.

But I'll play, not giving away locations, because they are ALL secret! (unless you look at past posts)

Troustes:
Brown
Rainbow
Brookie
Cutthroat
Albino

Need to catch a tiger by the tail (or lip) and of course a monster laker! The more exotic Greylings and Goldens would be nice to meet, I'd have to do some travelling.

Kokanee
Catfish (of course) Channels, Bullheads
Carp - Mirrors and Kings, or common, as some call them
Cisco - fatheads, shiners in the minnow category, no chubs for this bub
Crappie
Bluegill
Green Sunfish
Perch
Walleye
Bass - LM, SM, Wipers
Sucker
Whitefish (river variety)
TigerMusky

That's just Utah.
I have met Bulltrout and Squawfish in Idaho, and more exotic fishes elsewhere, Tuna, Kingfish, Shark, Swordfish.

I'm sure there's some I'm missing. This is just off the top of my shiny head.
That's awesome! My whole life we have always fished and about 3 years ago me and my dad were talking and we made a goal to catch every species (minus endangered, and including some non game fish) in Utah. And overall a hundred different species of fish from anywhere in the world. So a lot of our fishing trips are actually centered around a species that we are targeting for that week. I am at 23 species thus far (for Utah) and my dad is around 25 species. Hoping to knock out the Kokanee and Splake this year. Utah is truly an amazing fishery. It's been a blast
hopefully this "drought" doesn't keep us from having many bent poles this summer.
[signature]
I will ultimately try to do the same thing by trying to catch every species in Utah. I still have quite a few of the common varieties to catch for now. Good luck!
[signature]