Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IF rock chuck
Went out today to test my new ruger American in 17 HMR. Was a bit unsure last time since I had trouble keeping a good pattern at 100 yds With the winds. Anyway was hoping to find some ground squirrels out on the desert but was having trouble so settled in to address the vole population instead. Pretty soo I hear a chirp. After several minutes it got annoying and the voles wouldn't hold still for a shot so I try to find the squeaker. Pretty soI see a chuck up on a rock pile. This is obviously a better target and is around 100 yds so I quickly set up on it and squeeze off a shot. It drops off the rocks clearly hit. I head over and found it was very dead almost immediately. Darn thing had to be the size of my cats. Anyway never saw any more but think I heard a couple later. Did chase a big jack rabbit around for a while but like voles he wouldn't hold still for a shot. Now I just need to find a more target rich environment.
[signature]
That's a nice looking gun. Looks like it is dead on also. We have a place over in Grace and I have never seen so many Rockchucks as this year. And you're right they are as big as cats. I have reduced the population quite a bit this year and they keep popping up. I love my 17hmr for them. Even got a coyote last winter with it. Congrats
[signature]
Looks like good eatin'. [Wink]
[signature]
I've heard of people eating them but never talked to one that's done it themselves. You have a recipe for them?
Stick horse, if you ever need help controlling those chucks drop me a line. I'm always willing to help with that stuff. [Wink]
[signature]
An old indian down in Duck Valley told me to cut them open and remove the guts. Use a piece of the intestine to "sew" it shut again, then throw it in the fire until the hair is gone and the skin tears and pulls away from the meat easily. Then consume. He claims it is awesome. I've never been hungry enough to give it go.
[signature]
Yeah. I think l'll pass on that recipe. [Tongue]
[signature]
I have shot a lot of chucks in my younger days...

I think I will chew on the sage brush that's next to the chuck that died, before eating one.[shocked]
[signature]
At the rock chuck derby in Bliss there were a couple brought in that were over 19 pounds.
[signature]
Seen that in your local paper Ron. I got to go next year. I know people that have claimed to eat them and tell me they are good. I think I'd have to pass and go with the sagebrush salad also.
[signature]
Me too!!
[signature]
Wow! That's a big squirrel!
[signature]