Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stupid question
Okay I've been reading thru some of this tube stuff. Why do all of you have multi rod set ups on your tubes? Can you fish more than one rod or is it to expidite re rigging? or what?
[signature]

Hi there flyprincess,

I can speak only from my own experience. I have a number of outfits all ready-to-fish on my tube as setups, not dissimilar to we humans, have their good and bad days. If one outfit seems to not be quite with-it then it's only reasonable to switch to another rig.

Unfortunatualy, this leads to a certain amount of jealously beteen the 5 weight and the 7 weight but what are ya gonna do. To have a little peace on the tube, I try to use each rod about the same amount of time and change my favorite baits (baits and flys) to this rod and that one.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hi there flyprincess,[/size]

[size 1]I carry three rods. A flyrod, a 5' Ultra light spinning rod - 4lb test / extra spool 6lb and a medium 6' spinning rod - 6lb / 8lb test. TubeDude's setup motivated me to create my present setup. I am sure that he and TubeN2 will be responding to your query.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]A valid question from a fisherperson who has learned to have and enjoy one or two prized fly fishing outfits. Until you have been exposed to fishing large "warm water" reservoirs...with multiple species of different sizes and attitudes...it is difficult to conceive why anyone would want or need more than one fishin' pole.[/size]

[size 1]As a kid in Idaho, I had one rod and reel, and it served for any kind of fishing I did. I cast flies (not well), I soaked worms and I pitched spinners baited with worms or salmon eggs. Sometimes I floated a grasshopper back into the culverts where a creek ran near my house in Idaho Falls, and caught some nice rainbows. I had no idea that anyone ever needed more than one rod.[/size]

[size 1]After moving to California, just before becoming a teenager, I discovered bass, catfish, sunfish and a whole bunch of saltwater fishies. I also discovered that it took different tackle and techniques to go after each species...and sometime for the same species in the same waters...depending on your style of fishing.[/size]

[size 1]Like many multi-species fishaholics, I have collected a whole lot of tackle over the years, and am comfortable casting with flyrods, spinning or baitcasting gear. I like to go prepared for any kind of fishing that might present itself on any given trip.[/size]

[size 1]I do not use more than one rod at a time. I use the rod rack like a golf bag...taking out only the rig I need for the specific fishing of the moment. That might be a heavy baitcaster, for throwing big crankbaits. Or, it might be an ultralight spinning rod, for sunfish along the shoreline.[/size]

[size 1]By knowing the waters and the species you will be targeting, you can usually put together a set of rods and lures (or flies) that will take care of whatever comes along. But, there are still times I find myself wishing I had included another rod, when something unexpected happens. Seems we can never have enough tackle with us.[/size]

[size 1]Having a multirod rod rack is not a status symbol. In fact, it adds a lot of weight to what you gotta carry to the water, and a lot of additional stuff to watch out for while casting or battling fish. And, if you pick up the flyrod and start working a flyline over your head, a gust of wind can result in a wonderful tangle on your other rods.[/size]

[size 1]So, flyprincess, do not think that you need a full rod rack to enjoy float tube fishing. Sometimes less is more. First get your basic system put together. Learn how to use and enjoy it...with one rod. Then, if you want to broaden your horizons and learn different kinds of fishing, you can do so at your own pace.[/size]
[signature]
OOOOOH this is very good news. I had a hard enough time this year going from my granddad's bamboo rod and automatic reel to grafite and aluminun I can't imagine having to avoid a conglomoration behind me right off. A tangled up mess is not exactly what I would describe that as. More like a train wreck.
[signature]
could you not judt take a 4 or 5 piece and assemble it rather than all pre assembled so that it would be more compact? Or does that kinda defeat the purpose? Doesn't the weight change the float of the tube? Is balance important or irrelevant?
[signature]
Hey flyprincess, I too have developed the need for speed. Balance does indeed play a small role to the navigation of your craft.

Just like TubeDude, I like to cutdown on the retying and rerigging so I have them conveniently placed in my rod rack.

There are time when I wished that I had a 5th or 6th rig but as TubeDude pointed out, that is a little extra wieght.

If you take the time to get a feel for your craft first, then slowly add some of the comforts of home, I believe you will enjoy it alot more.

Here is a pic of my tube with a 3 rod set up.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2317;]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]The big thing you will discover is that the timing and arm movements of your casts will be different in a tube. As I mentioned before, your rod tip will be closer to the water, so you will not be able to work with as much line.[/size]

[size 1]Some guys sacrifice form for extra height. Instead of keeping their elbow tucked into their side, while casting, they raise their arms and work the rod almost overhead. Unless you are really tough, that will beat the heck out of you in a full day of casting.[/size]

[size 1]My suggestion is to get your tube system all set up and then go hit the water for a practice session. It's okay if you catch some fish, but the first time you should concentrate on getting the feel of your new craft and using the flyrod while afloat. Don't try to force anything. Just relax and focus on the mechanics. Get your timing down and get a feel for how much line you can comfortably work with. [/size]

[size 1]Once you are totally at ease with floatation fishing, and how to maneuver your craft and your rod, you can simply enjoy the hands-free fishing experience. No need for oars, anchors or any of that stuff. [/size]

[size 1]I think most of us on the board will agree that you do not have to catch a lot of fish to have a great day on the water. Just being out there amongst the fishies and other wildlife (not counting water skiers) makes every trip a successful trip.[/size]

[size 1]We're glad you were confident enough to pop in here. And, just for the record, our philosophy is that the only "stupid question" is one that you do not ask. That is especially true if you have problems or it costs you time or money because you did not seek help.[/size]

[size 1]Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to ask if you need clarification on something...before you spend good Cabela's bucks or hard earned money.[/size]
[signature]
I have fly-fished out of an old round tube for years. I recently upgraded(?) to a pontoon. I only had one rod with me and a spare spool with sinking or floating line. That was sufficient enough when I fished trout waters. Now I am learning to fish multi-species waters and while I love my fly-rod, it isn't always the best presentation.

I have a rack setup on my pontoon that holds everything horizontal instead of vertical. Less chance of a tangle-up that way.

The main reason I carry 2-3 complete setups is so I don't have to assemble rods or change reels on the water. I've been know to have clumsy hands and dropping a reel or one piece of my pack rod in 60' of water is my greatest fear.

Best of luck, and come on back to our humble board.

ES
[signature]
[size 2]I take 3 poles with me. One for plastics, one for live bait and one to catch live bait. All for saltwater, works well for me.[/size]

[size 2]Freshwater I use 3 also. Different pound test on two of them, one light, one medium test and the 3rd for plastics.[/size]

[size 2] Usually it's not a good idea to have more than one pole in the water at a time and I think that is what people think I do when they see 3 poles but in reality I use one at a time.[Wink][/size]
[signature]

Hey there flyprincess,

I neglected to mention that I fish both fresh and saltwater from the tube. If I go strictly fly on the freshwater I have one floating and one sinking line outfit. For the fly only on the salt I have both fly rigs with sinking line on a 7 and 10wt.

For me it's no fun changing reels, spools on my tube. Rethreading your line through an assembled 9'6" rod can be a challange sometimes too. ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 4]BIGTIME! [/size]

[size 4] [/size][size 2]I used to bring extra spools with different line in case I was running to heavy or to light and trying to run that line through my pole eye's could be a real challenge, espcially when you drifting around trying to watch out for other tubes, boats, bouys, whatever![/size]

[size 2] Now just bring extra poles set to what works in the areas I fish. Experience in those area's dictates how I rig them[Wink][/size]
[signature]
Hi flyprincess,

Here in Utah there are actually a few "warm waters" that you are allowed to fish with two poles at the same time -- if you purchase a 2nd pole permit in addition to your license. This is beneficial for catfish since the most common way to fish for them is with bait. I've had days (from shore) where they were biting so fast I wouldn't have time to unhook a fish, rebait the pole and recast before the other pole would start bouncing with another one on. Now, in a tube this could get very tricky very fast, so I'll probably never actually use 2 rods at once on a tube. I just finished my 2-pole rod rack for my tube and am waiting for lakes to thaw so I can give it a try.
[signature]