Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need some helpful info...trying something new
Heading into new water.I will be making my yearly trip to Oakland in three weeks and I want to try my hand at pier fishing. Never done it before. Wondering what size hooks and gear I should take with me? Thanks in advance!
[signature]
What will you be fishing for? A heavy weight bass rod, 7ft, should do fine for most fishes.
[signature]
I've been told that off the pier I could get anything from mackerel, sea bass, octopus, sting rays, etc...

I have a three piece ugly stick bait caster that I will be taking with me. The reel will have 20 lb test Berkeley vanish flouro carbon on it.
[signature]
Sounds like a good enough setup. Just take some octopus hooks with you that you would use bass fishing, or a tad bigger. Local bait shops also will have the rigs you need. Good luck.
[signature]
You know Kevin, the bigger issue beside what hook to use is what you are going to do if you hook into something really big. I've seen anglers catch fish so big there was no chance of them bringing them up to the top. Last time I was there there was a guy with some sort of basket lift, that after the fish got worn out from fighting, he was able to get the fish in the basket and bring it up to the top. If I remember correctly it was a 50 or 60 lb fish. If you get that lucky, maybe someone will be there that has one of those baskets for retrieving a fish that big. Good luck though, sounds like it will be fun, no matter what you catch.
[signature]
I will see how it goes. The last two times I attempted saltwater fishing I came away with a skunk. The first was a head boat out of San Diego. The second was surf fishing in Delaware. This time I get to spend a day with my brother on his boat and possibly another afternoon on a pier or jetty.
[signature]
Well I'm sure you will catch fish with your brother, unless he has never fished there before but as Gregg suggested, stop at a local bait shop before you try the pier fishing, they can give you the best info, especially if they are close to a pier. When you say you fished from a head boat, is that the same as a party boat where they have a dozen to 30 anglers on one boat?
[signature]
Yes head boat-party boat, same thing
[signature]
Wow, I did not think it was possible to be on one of those and not catch fish. How many people were on the party boat you were fishing?
[signature]
Hard to remember since it was back in the spring of 2001.[sly] But there were a lot. A few caught bottom dwellers and many were casting for barracuda. Not takers on that though. The captain did his best at trying to get us on fish. Moved around a bit.
[signature]
A boat is the way to go on the big salty. A lot of water and fish are only in a small part of it. Unless you have a run like stripers for us now it's tough on pier or surf. But it's all about taking it slow and enjoying the day.
[signature]