Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angler Catches, Eats What Likely Would Have Been Washington’s New State Record Coho
Article from "The Local Fisherman News" (photo attached)

[font "Arial"][size 2]On November 13, 2003 Chad Harvison, an angler new to the sport, stopped by The Tackle Box (360-687-4441), a small fishing tackle and bait shop in Battle Ground, Washington. [/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]Harvison had just spent the better part of the day fishing the Naselle River in Naselle, Washington, where he hooked and landed several fish. One of these was a very large Silver salmon (see photo). Being proud of his success and seeing it as bragging opportunity, he headed directly to a shop he knew of in Battle Ground, The Tackle Box managed by Jack Baxter.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]Jack said when Harvison brought the huge Coho in he didn't think much of it because he initially assumed it was a Chinook, due to its size. As Jack hung the fish from the shop’s scale (which he said is quite accurate) it registered a whopping 26 pounds. Upon closer inspection Jack determined the fish to be an unusually large hatchery raised Coho salmon. [/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]Jack snapped a quick photo and Harvison then carried the Coho back to his vehicle and headed home to prepare the fish for dinner. [/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]Little did both men know, the Coho Harvison and his family were about to eat was a new Washington state freshwater record. This outshined the current record of 25 pounds .27 ounces, by nearly a pound. [/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]Oregon’s current record for Coho salmon is 25 pounds 5.25 ounces. The world record for freshwater Coho salmon is 33 pounds 4 ounces.[/size][/font]
[signature]
hi rick welcome to site the and thanks for the informative story but not to take away from anybody sucess for catching a large fish but i believe a hatchery raised fish should not count as a record
[signature]
hey there bud, now i don,t git this one. over to pulaski, when we fish the salmon over ther,i believe most of them are born in the hathery, and then let go when there not only 3 inches liong in the river or the lake, whatever, well, wasn,t that the way it was with this fish?? wasn,t he released into what ever lake or river to grow and to be caught at this size?? nwhat what,s the difference twixt em?? or did he stay in the hatchery all his life, but if he did how did he catch em?? haha latermaybe some are like my natives over there to pulaski that don,t git raised in the hatchery but there,s really no diference twixt em in color, sizes, whatever, how can ya tell?[Wink][unsure]
[signature]
also these fish that was from the hatchery also make their way back to where they come from which was in a little brook that leads to the hatchery. i member seein all these kings coho,s browns along with em, i dont knwo why the browns followed but they do, BIG FISH! ya could of walked cross there backs they were right tight together i,ll never forgit it. first time i see em, heard em runnin the river in the mornin before light, i thought a train was comein thru. it,s amazin! i need to know this, how can ya tell and what,s the difference?? htanks mare[Smile][Wink]
[signature]
i couldn't open the attachment photo , what format was used for the photo ?
[signature]