Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Dell fish species
I've fished it occasionally for 10 years and have never seen anything but cutts.

My most memorable fishing trip there was fishing in the moonlight in the middle of a snowstorm by the inlet. We were throwing big streamers and it was a HARD hit every cast. I couldn't feel my fingers by the end of the night, and it was an ordeal driving back down the canyon, but still worth it.

I remember an old "snapshot of the week" on Doug Miller's show (that tells you how long ago this was) and a guy had a brookie he had caught out of there that was pushing 25" and it was a FATTY. But like I said, such trophies have eluded me up there.
[signature]
heres one of a few tiny bows I landed on dries last spring near the inlet.
[inline "lil dell bow.JPG"]
would love to hook into some brooks there
[signature]
[quote Joe_Dizzy][quote ScottyP]

I also noticed for the first time that there are decent sized craw dads in there.

[/quote]

The crawfish are monsters up there. Big blue claws... tons of them near the inlet and around to the far shore.[/quote]
I have seen them many times crawling along the bottom while ice fishing LD.

I dared to pluck one out of the inlet stream once.........
[Image: IMGP1051_zps6jywk3kb.jpg]
[signature]
Did you forward that info on to the DWR? Brook Trout are one thing, but Rainbows should send out alarms for a brood stock BCT lake.
[signature]
[quote Joe_Dizzy]Did you forward that info on to the DWR? Brook Trout are one thing, but Rainbows should send out alarms for a brood stock BCT lake.[/quote]
Unless the rainbows are steril.
I am all for them being in there so there is something to keep and eat.
[signature]
Last years anomaly is now looking like a pattern.

In my handful of trips to Little Dell this spring more Rainbow Trout are showing up. They show all the telltale markings of the Kamloops strain - chromers, green back, broad pink flank, runners when hooked - which suggests illegal planting.

Anyone else hitting these? I alerted the DNR last year but got no response. Can't be good for their pure strain Bonneville Cutt's that they are trying to protect.
[signature]
I've fished little dell a number of times in the past year but I never remember catching anything other than cutthroat. Some have very green backs but don't resemble a rainbow. Have you ever hooked any brook trout up there?
[quote foothill_fisher]

I've fished little dell a number of times in the past year but I never remember catching anything other than cutthroat. Some have very green backs but don't resemble a rainbow. Have you ever hooked any brook trout up there?

[/quote]

These are definitely rainbows. They have the bright, white tips on the pelvic and anal fins... real screamers too... take off running as soon as they're hooked. Look like the fish right out of a Brian Chan video. [Wink]

I agree though, the Bonneville Cutts vary greatly in color and pattern.

Never caught or seen any brookies personally (been fishing there since 2011). I fish it a lot in the fall too hoping to hit some near the inlet stream... so far... nada.
[signature]