Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pier fishing help
Heading to The Bay Area here in two weeks for my annual business trip. I will have a little free time and I am thinking of spending it fishing. I will be staying at the executive inn and suites on the embarcadero in alameda. What species of fish am I looking at catching there? What size hooks and tackle will I need? I have an medium light ugly stick that I can bring with me. The reel is a baitcast with 20lb fluorocarbon on it. Thanks for the help!
[signature]
[Image: dumb.gif]Haven't done any salt in several decades, but I understand that flounders, perch, rockfish and sturgeon are available from several piers in the bay area. Best to Google which pier you plan on fishing for more precise information.
Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks, there are two piers close to the hotel on the channel between the mainland and coast guard island I want to check out. I will speak to the hotel as well. I believe there is someone that works there (at least last year there was) who pier fishes in the area.
[signature]
Hey, I'm on a California trip now looking for some saltwater tips and reports! Only thing is I'm visiting down south and going to be looking for some spawning halibut in San Diego bay!
Good luck up north! I always wanted to go up to SF and catch some dungeonus crab! But if you can find a good bait shop, your best bet for catching a varity of fish is soaking some blood worms!
[signature]
Thanks, my next saltwater trip won't be until next year when I make my yearly pilgrimage for work to stay certified.
[signature]
It looks like we are working/playing in the same areas or soon to be the same areas. I am frequently in NorCal, but will be in Orange County for two weeks in July. I was thinking of hitting a pier or two for whatever. I may charter a boat, but I haven't decided yet.
[signature]
I am now the proud owner of a saltwater rod that I can take with me every year. I am working on putting together a few pieces of tackle that I can take with me. Tomorrow I am going to spend a little time at bass pro in their saltwater section and see what they have. I may get a few items too.[Wink]
[signature]
If I wasn't on a family trip, I would definitely charter a 3/4 day trip! I have heard that there are yellow fin tuna have been coming in real close this summer!
[signature]
This summer was awesome around the LA to San Diego areas. The inshore and Island fishing was producing good Yellowtail, Yellowfin Tuna, Bluefin Tuna, Dorados and even Sailfish. The El Nino condition brought up many of the exotics from Mexico.

Next year will be the year to go out on charter boats. Typically the Humboldt squid follows the pattern after the El Nino. This one is La Nina.

The piers will have their minimal variety or less since the squid take over and eat as much as they can and anything that gets in their way.

Next year will not be a good Saltwater float tubing for that reason.

If anyone needs some advanced advice on what to use for the piers, I will be keeping an eye on this section. This will give you a chance to be well prepared before you come back out or go farther south than normal.[cool]
[signature]
My pier fishing will be limited to one week (probably June) and will be in the Oakland area. Most likely over by government island.
[signature]
You should be in a good area for Halibut and Stripers. Bring a smaller rig for some of the local Mackeral. They are good to use as bait for both the Halibut and Stripers.

You may be able to pick up a few inshore rock fish too if you fish some of the structure around the pier. Crabs will be around as well but more in the dark hours.

Mackerel in the crab net make an excellent bait for them.

A 30lb rated rod would be the best help for Halibut or Striper. A 12lb for the Mackerel.
[signature]
I have a Medium Heavy 7' spinning rod. It is a three piece cabelas salt striker. I am looking at a 3 piece cabelas bait caster as well. My choices are medium heavy, heavy, or extra heavy. Haven't figured out what reel to put with it yet.
[signature]
Your lighter rod sounds good for getting the bait fish. If yo were to get a heavy or 30lb rated rod, I would recommend the Okuma Convector. It has a level wind and a nice gear ratio. You may also look at the Okuma Avenger. This also has the levelwind feature and is good for heavy fish.

I usually like to put a few hundred yards of sturdy backing and then topshot the last 40 or 50 feet. This makes it easier to renew your line from time to time without having to refinance your house. lol
[signature]
The backing is a good idea. I am planning at this point to put some Berkeley 20 lb big game mono on the spinning reel. The rod is rated for 10-20 lb line. I like the three piece travel rods. Makes it easier to carry on a plane. I will look at the reels mentioned and see what I want. I had been looking at a penn level wind 209m or 309m. However I am looking at others due to the need for castability.
[signature]
[quote tubeN2]Your lighter rod sounds good for getting the bait fish. If yo were to get a heavy or 30lb rated rod, I would recommend the Okuma Convector. It has a level wind and a nice gear ratio. You may also look at the Okuma Avenger. This also has the levelwind feature and is good for heavy fish.

I usually like to put a few hundred yards of sturdy backing and then topshot the last 40 or 50 feet. This makes it easier to renew your line from time to time without having to refinance your house. lol[/quote]

What type of backing would you recommend? I think I will go with the extra heavy 7' baitcast 3 pc travel rod (medium fast action) which is rated for 17-30 lb line and 1-4 oz lures. The Heavy is rated for 12-25 lb test and 3/8-1 1/2 oz lures. The reels I like so far are the Penn 309M, okuma convector, bass pro offshore angler gold cup level wind. I haven't found the okuma avenger in baitcast yet only spinning. Now onto finding a good line. So far the Berkeley trilene big game mono is where I am leaning. Never used braid so no opinion there.
[signature]
Penn makes some good reels. The 209 and 309 series are sturdy yet lack some of the control that some of the other levelwinds have. They don't seem to cast as well as the others. The Okumas are awesome on casting and retreiving.

The Daiwa Saltist is one that is know for super distance casting with ease. It has more bearings and less friction. Care needs to be taken with this reel to keep all the screw tight since they do loosen up without notice.
[signature]
Good info to know thanks. I have been studying the different reels all night (nothing else to do but stare off into space) and after comparing a few I have found I like what I see and read about the Bas Pro gold cup GDC 30 and GDC 20. Good price, good reviews, and good specs. I should know more later today, but I am leaning toward the reel which should be a good fit for the XH rod.

GDC 30
4.4:1 ratio
Line cap 25/490
Braid 50/900
4 bearings
Drag weight 17.6 lbs
34" per turn
24.8 oz

GDC 20
4.2:1 ratio
Line cap 25/250
Braid 40/490
Drag weight 15.41 lbs
26.4" per turn
18.7 oz

I think the 30 is where I will be going but like I said I should know more later today.
[signature]
I think I have the bait fishing gear down. Now are there any cranks that are recommended for pier fishing or should I just stay with the bait and plastics?
[signature]
Bait and plastics are ok for the Rockfish and local bottom dwellers. A Sabiki rig works good for catching the Macks.

Do you know how to tie a dropper loop? That is one of key rigs for the Stripers.
[signature]
I've used drop shot rigs for bass if that is anywhere close.
[signature]