Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fillet Knife Recommendation
Not sure how people clean fish without an electric fillet knife. I know in theory it should work[Tongue][Wink] but if you are cleaning a lot of fish (I'm thinking a bucket of panfish)... an electric knife is the way to go. You won't wear yourself out cutting, because the e-knife does all the work for you. Also you won't spend time re-sharpening.

With that said, if you buy a cheap electric fillet knife don't expect it to last more than a year or so. They aren't made to last. What is though, anymore?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]In my 60 years of cleaning different species of fish, I have used just about every type of cutlery you could imagine. I've used 3 brands of electric and all have been good for the job at hand. I've used countless brands of hand filet knives and all have done the job but the quality and time between sharpening's varies greatly.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I highly recommend any brand of electric for all pan fish. That's all I ever use. But when the fish get over about 12" and the rib bones start to thicken up, I reach for the Bubba Blade knife. There is no other blade out there that I have used that even comes close to ability and longevity that I get with my Bubba Blade knives. I have a 9" and a 12" and would not trade them for any other knife that I have ever used. Yes, they cost about $60 a piece. And they are worth every penny. This will be their 3rd season under my care and I have yet to put a steel or stone to either one.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Forschner, Bubba and Dexter Russell are all you need to know..

Ive had my Forschners for over 15 yrs and still going strong..Ive filleted hundreds of of tuna, Yellowtail, white sea bass, and kelp bass over the years. Get the good stuff and a quality sharpener and your set..
[signature]
[#484848]In addition to my American Angler, I also have a Cutco fixed blade for trimming. I am glad I received it as a gift, because I probably couldn't afford it otherwise.[/#484848]
[signature]
Flimsy lightweight fillet knife in the backpack. Cutco fillet knife in the truck box. 20+ year old electric Rapala fillet knife in the truck box for those times when you have power at the lake or cleaning station. It smells funny and I wash my hands afterwards, not because of the fish slime but because of the dirty knife. I have another one in my knife drawer in the house that is much better looking.
The Cutco knife will lock the blade in three different lengths if you need a stiffer blade. I would buy another one if I ever lost it and that means a lot from me, I can be pretty picky.
[signature]
Thank you all so much, sorry I got too much response to thank each of you individually, but I really appreciate your advice. Lots of recommendations that I hadn't heard of so I appreciate the great info. My Dad got me a Cutco hunting knife and I sure like that one. Are they worth the extra money in a fillet knife? Again thanks everyone. Later J
[signature]
bubba blade by far is the best set of knifes you can buy.
[signature]
The versatility of the knife is worth the price. I have yet to sharpen it for real, just rub it on a stone real quick. It doesn't need it, just a force of habit to keep it sharp. I have spent a lot of money on trying to get the best bang for my buck but there are certain things that sometimes you have to spend a little money on. Especially if you're a fisherman. Gear, clothing, and good knife.
[signature]
Thanks I'll have to check one out. I know I was amazed with my hunting knife to do a full deer and not notice any difference in sharpness even going through hair in places. They are quiet a blade. Thanks J
[signature]
Thanks I'll try to check one out. J
[signature]
So Mike I assume from your comment that the suckers are spawning. You said net, is that after you hook them or are they legal to take with a net? I think I want to know more about this undertaking it sounds fun. Later J
[signature]
I have a 9 inch Rapala that I like very much. Rapala's used to go under the J. Martin signature, but now they just have the Rapala name on them.

Dexter Russel makes a very fine fillet knife as well. They have a plain molded plastic handle as they are made for professional and commercial use. They tend to have stiffer blades and are made with very hard surgical stainless steel that keeps a laser edge. One of my favorites. I used to buy mine at the local commercial fishing supply in Homer.

When I was a college student I filleted halibut several summers in Homer, Alaska and I dare say I have fillets more fish in those four summers than most people will ever fillet in their whole lives. 10s of thousands of pounds of Halibut, cod, rock fish, sea bass, salmon, ling cod, etc. What ever was brought in. I sliced it all. I could flawlessly fillet a 30 pound halibut in less than a minute.

Keep the blade sharp and learn how to control it. The Rapala seems to have pretty decent steel in it. Good steel is the key.
[signature]
Thank you, I was amazed how fast they took care of my halibut in Homer. I'll never need to get to that level of skill but I would like to make my catch a little more manageable. Thanks for the tips. J
[signature]
Jeff, I almost forgot about the Cutco knives till I read some of the more recent posts. For a fixed blade knife, for any purpose, Cutco knives are the best I've ever used. I'll admit they are on the pricey side, but they are made in USA, guaranteed for life, and sharpened for free by Cutco. If you can find a Cutco rep in the area, and you have them out for a free demo, they will also sharpen any knife of any brand as well as any Cutco knives you may own. I spent a small fortune on a collection of Cutco knives for the ex-wife, and you can bet they were one of the first things she took with her when she moved out. Now I've started buying more for me this time, and the Cutco kitchen shears will literally cut thru anything short of welding plate....[Wink] Cutco sells a fillet knife that I have been looking at, just not able to put that kind of $$ out yet.

[url "http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=fishermans-solution"]http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=fishermans-solution[/url]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks for the info Forest, I'll probably not spend that much either. I hardly ever keep fish so my electric and a replacement for my bent rapala will do the trick for now. You go'en fishen this weekend? I just let my first big cat beat me. I had 6 lb test and it wrapped me round a cattail and broke off. By far the biggest fish I've had on this year. Dang it. Later J
[signature]
Skunked, I got my 8" fillet, a sheath, and my 3" serrated bait knife plus shipping for just under $25 from Dexter Russell. Hard to beat that.
[signature]
Thanks Rocky that's not bad at all for a good quality tool. Thank you for letting me know I would of thought they were more. You got the plastic handled one too so that would be the one I would get. Not bad thank you J
[signature]
I got the folding version of the Buck in the original post that has been in my tackle bag for a few years without any rust on it.
I also don't fillet a lot of fish either but it seems functional enough and a pretty decent blade which I like. There are definitely worse blades out there.
Like good knives? These are very nice.
[url "http://www.leechlakeknife.com/Home.html"]http://www.leechlakeknife.com/Home.html[/url]

[url "http://www.reedssports.com/brand/leech-lake-knives"]http://www.reedssports.com/brand/leech-lake-knives[/url]
[signature]
Hey thanks for the comment on the buck knife. I really like the looks of that knife and their bait knife looks great as well. I'm surprised no one else commented on them. Thanks for your other suggestions as well. Later J
[signature]
I agree with multiple knives to optimize the knife for the task. I use long blades for filleting, but when precision is desired with the tip, a short stiff fixed blade knife with a handle designed for good control does great because the length of the lever isn't working against you. The picture describes it. Moderators are invited to insert the picture into this post, but that doesn't work from this tablet.
[signature]