Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bow mount ipilot electric motor
I have a 1999 Crestliner 1750 Sportfish. I want to put a bow mount ipilot trolling motor on it. I want to fish the shoreline for bass and I want to fish open water for walleye. Can anyone tell me which trolling motor to buy?
[signature]
Min kota terrova would be my choice.
[signature]
Terrova 80lb

I would have never bought a motor that expensive but it came on my boat. After using it for 2 years I don't think I even want to have a boat if I cant have my Terrova!

I have heard mixed reviews on the new Ulterra, I would wait awhile on that one.
[signature]
I understand that you need two batteries for the Terrova 80 lb. Is the Terrova 55 lb. sufficient for the Crestliner?
[signature]
[quote LloydE]I understand that you need two batteries for the Terrova 80 lb. Is the Terrova 55 lb. sufficient for the Crestliner?[/quote]

I would buy the Terrova 80 lb you should beable to find a place for two batterys. I don't know anthing about the 55 but the 80 will give you more power in the wind.
[signature]
Terrova 80# 60" on my 1700 Fisherman Lund. Love at [reply][/reply]first bite!!!!!
[signature]
Lloyd find room for two batteries. Having an electric trolling motor that the battery quickly runs down just becomes extra useless weight on the boat.
[signature]
you need a 24 volt system. You can never have to much power up front !! Only problem is that if you link your Depth finder/GPS with the motor, you have to run Hummingbird !! They don't link Lowrance, Garmin, etc.
Thanks for the counsel! I think all of you are right, and I guess I will shop for a Terrova 80 lb. My boat was already wired for a bow mount prop. However, the wires end up by my regular boat battery near the transom, and while there are two black wires and two red wires, I can only see room for one more regular sized battery. I will need to find a solution to the problem.
[signature]
I just put one on my crestliner 1650 this weekend. It is the terrova 80# 60", replacing a powerdrive 70#. My biggest decision was to go with a 45" or 60", I had a 54". I hope they are as great as everyone says. Fishing Mack's in a ten mph wind will allow me to fish and not just drive. Unfortunately, I think you just missed a $80 rebate they were running. The install was slick, mounted the same way the powerdrive did. I did eliminate the plug and wired direct to the batteries, as this motor cuts off power when stowed. I put the extra battery in the dry compartment in the floor of the bow. I'm a little Confused by your 2 wires, even with 24v you still only have one black and one red. Good luck
[signature]
Make sure you put a 60 amp circuit breaker in the circuit between the motor and the batteries. You can fry the motor other wise. Minn Kota makes one or you can get one at West Marine on 72nd south by Sportsman's !! I have a bit of overkill on mine with a breaker on each battery, but what the hey !!
To Macman and Therapist,

I have four wires that must be for connecting two batteries. Two of the wires (the red one, and the orange red one) each have two fuses in them. These might be circuit breakers. The other two wires must be negative wires. One is a black wire, and the other is a black wire with a stripe going around it. I am not sure how to connect the wires to two batteries, but I will make sure I know what I am doing before I do it.

I am concerned that my fishfinder is a Lowrance, and the Terrova doesn't link the finder with the motor. What counsel could you offer for that problem. Should I change my fishfinder?
[signature]
I would absolutely get the 80lb thrust. I have a 17ft fiberglass trophy. My boat came with the 55lb thrust powerdrive. I added the ipilot head to it. It works ok but definitely lacks in the power I need. It can only pull the boat at 1.5 mph and cannot deal with the wind very well due to the lack of thrust.
[signature]
Make sure you buy the long shaft. I bought the short one and it cost me. I had to replace the shaft and it was really expensive. I love the terrova 80.[fishon]
[signature]
[quote LloydE]I am concerned that my fishfinder is a Lowrance, and the Terrova doesn't link the finder with the motor. What counsel could you offer for that problem. Should I change my fishfinder?[/quote]

The Minn Kota adapter for Lowrance won't work with your particular unit?

MKR-US2-10 UNIVERSAL SONAR 2 ADAPTER CABLE-LOWRANCE

[url "http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/MKR-US2-10-UNIVERSAL-SONAR-2-ADAPTER-CABLE-LOWRANCE/"]http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/MKR-US2-10-UNIVERSAL-SONAR-2-ADAPTER-CABLE-LOWRANCE/[/url]

[url "http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Accessories/Trolling-Motor-Accessories/Rigging/Rigging/?ps=all"]http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Accessories/Trolling-Motor-Accessories/Rigging/Rigging/?ps=all[/url]

If you are looking for anything other than 2D it doesn't matter what unit you have. 2D is it out of the US2 transducer.

DI, SI, etc one has to attach the specific transducer to your unit on the bottom of the TM shaft.
[signature]
I had a Minnkota 55 on my 16 foot sylvan. If I started fishing at 8. I was done by noon. No juice left. Even less at a 5 speed. And when the wind come up might as well put it away. I went to a terrova 80 and I love it. I have always had plenty of power. And Juice left. Plus the 55 has five speeds and the 80 has ten. The Terrova us a 24 volt system and the 55 is a twelve. You can never have to much juice and power when the wind comes up.

[fishin]
[signature]
[quote TheFishSlayer]I would absolutely get the 80lb thrust. I have a 17ft fiberglass trophy. My boat came with the 55lb thrust powerdrive. I added the ipilot head to it. It works ok but definitely lacks in the power I need. It can only pull the boat at 1.5 mph and cannot deal with the wind very well due to the lack of thrust.[/quote]

With the Terrova 80 I can hit the low 3mph mark (3.3mph max) using 2 group 31 AGM batteries in my 17ft aluminum Tracker 175 walk through.

My boat calls for a 54" shaft TM. I purchased the 60" since they don't make a 24v 54" shaft unit back in late 2011. After about a years use and knowing what I really needed for sure I cut the shaft down to 54". Perfect for my situation.
[signature]
I went with the hummingbird 859 c combo. For my Terrova. I called hummingbird and that's what they recommended. But what they don't tell you is that you have to by a connecter 29.00 to connect the two. And a different Ipilot controller to run the ipilot link 300.00. So what I do is, I mark the way points on my 859 and go to the track screen and follow the trac back to the way points I marked. cheaper than another 350.00.
[signature]
Might want to check this out:[#BF0000] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=936435;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]Link[/url][/#BF0000][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=936435;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"][/url].
[signature]
Thanks Kent! I will check it our.
[signature]