Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reg Pontoon Or Frameless Pontoon
I am looking at upgrading from a float tube to a pontoon boat. I have been looking at the Outcast Scout or The Outcast Fish cat 9 or Panther. What are the opinions out there. Thanks
[signature]
Remo has a buddy selling his Bucks Bags SF on the for sale board. Idk if a used boat would work for you. I just bought the same boat from another forum member. The SF is a nice boat that you can do it all with. Love mine.
[signature]
Save a lite more and buy an outlaw from Dave scadden....it will be with it, ask anyone who owns one
[signature]
If you are looking to add a motor, light weight yet durable, that can hold whatever you want to load on it, I'd look at the Scadden "Mike Andreason" special. It's a dandy and should last you a long, long time. Just my $.02 worth.
[signature]
For the money the Fatcat9 is a good way to go just remember transporting the toon to the lake can be a challenge unless you own a Truck. If no Truck or you want to use a more fuel efficient vehicle then a frame less model may be the better way to go.

I own a Scadden Renegade but after adding up all the upgrades like a motor mount, anchor mount, ect ect buying a framed toon like the Fatcat that has all the accessories built into it going to be much easier on the wallet. Only down side is the Fatcats weight limit 375 lbs, dependent on how much you weigh if your adding motor+battery and gear you might be pretty close to the limit. Were as on the Scaddens you have around 800 lbs depending on the model.

That being said I luv the Scadden its just about bullet proof Ive bounced off rocks and put it through some rough water and it still looks new.

Also looks like NFO running a sale a Renegades not that much more than a fatcat 9 after shipping. Plus NFO is in Ogden so you can directly pick up your Scadden and if you have any issues you can drive down right to their shop. NFO pretty good about repairs.
[signature]
Ya, here is a pic from Friday of my buddy's toon.
[signature]
Frameless VS Regular pontoon? I have had both so here are my thoughts.

Framelss =

Pros...packability, fits in the back of any car, light weight important if you are going to carry it far <-refer to packability.
Cons... the oars are not going to row like a framed boat not even close. You sit nearer if not nearly in the water.

Framed or Regular pontoon=

Pros... firmer and for the most part a more comfortable seat. The oars can really move you across the water when needed/wanted. Sturdier feel on the water but only just a bit. Mine at least could carry more gear.

Cons... and this is a big one: you need to tear it way down if you want to fit it in a reasonable car or even most suvs, Thus requiring a little more build time to get on the water. Most are not easily carried especially if you consider the weight you can put on one. That requires you to park near the water and that aint always easy/possible.

However the perfect marriage as I see it would be the Mike Andreason model of the Dave Scadden line up.
[signature]
FWIW, and you're asking about specific boats here, I've fished out of a lot of boats on the market, including the ones you mention. First off, there's no way I would ever own a framed boat ever again for a lot of the reasons mentioned here.

I have fished out of a couple of scadden frameless boats and they are awesome. Expensive but awesome.

However, my current go-to is the Scout from Outcast. Relatively light weight, super-comfy seat and as stable as they come.

We did a review on it a while back: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/11/produ...scout.html

One caveat, I sold my trolling motors and that type of gear because I am not a fan of using a pontoon as a motorized watercraft because I found myself fishing close enough to shore and on smaller waters to not warrant the hassle. I've seen people dump close to $2K on a personal watercraft setup when they could have saved a few more pennies and got a decent smallish bass boat -- especially when you consider two people's gear cost.
[signature]
Well I did it, I got the Outcast Scout...Thanks for all the help. This is a great place to get info, Cant wait to get it onto the water. Now I just need to figure out how I want to mount the fish finder to it.
[signature]