Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing 411
Although I've been fishing for quite some time now, I must admit that I do not know the difference in purpose of a casting, spinning, baitcasting rods. I also do not know the main difference in use for the casting, spinning, and baitcasting reels. Can someone please enlighten me. I know the reels look a little different, but what purpose does this serve. I mainly do freswater fishing (catfish, trout, bass), and am looking to get a new light action pole/reel.<br><br>Thanks in advance<br><br>-g<br><br>
IN TERMS OF BASS FISHING, PRESENTATIONS HAVE BECOME SO SPECIALIZED IN THE AREA OF LIGHT LINES. BASICALLY I USE A SPINNING ROD FOR SPLITSHOTTING OR "DRAGGING" MAINLY BECAUSE I CAN USE #2-6 TEST LINE WITH A "SWEEPING" HOOKSET RATHER THAN A SNAPPING HOOKSET(UP AND DOWN) AND USING 4" OR SMALLER BAITS MAKES IT EASIER TO CAST. WITH BAITCASTING EQUIPMENT, IT ALLOWS YOU A MORE PINPOINT PRESENTATION. BY THIS I MEAN YOU COULD COULD PITCH OR FLIP A BAIT 20 TO 30 FEET AWAY TO A TARGET THE SIZE OF A COFFEE CUP WITH SURPRISING ACCURACY. I FEEL I HAVE BETTER CONTROL WITH A BAITCASTING ROD OVER MY BAIT AND A HOOKED FISH. THERE HOWEVER ONE TECHNIQUE THAT IS LIGHT LINE THAT I USE A BAITCASTING ROD AND THAT IS DROPSHOTTING. THE REASON I DO THIS IS SPINNING TACKLE HAS AN INHERENT TENDENCY OF "LINE TWIST". I DON'T FISH DROPSHOT IN THE "TEXTBOOK" MANNER. I USE A LONGER ROD WITH #6 TEST AND I MAKE LONGER CAST AND HAVE MINIMAL LINE TWIST. HOPE THIS BIT OF INFO HELPS. GOOD LUCK. <br><br>
Glen: Basically spinning reels use light test lines from #2 pound to about#8 test breaking strength. You can cast lighter lines with spinning reels than with conventional reels because the lines falls off the spool. With conventional reels the line "unwinds" from the spool leading to "back-lashes". Light line "back-lashes" are very difficult to clear and usually the running line is always kinked, which will cause you to lose the next fish you hook. But conventional reels are important to certain kinds of applications that call for heavier lines. Personally I prefer conventional reels because of the drag. (among other things) Virtually all my trout applications are done with spinning because where I fish trout, #2 pound to #6 pound lines are necessary. In the ocean most all my reels are conventional. GVZ <br><br>George Van Zant<br><A HREF="http://www.bigfishtackle.com/georgescorner.htm " target="_new">http://www.bigfishtackle.com/georgescorner.htm </A><br>
Spinning reels for bass fishing can handle heavier line than 8lb in some instances we use as much as 12lb. Spinning reels are very versatile, I generally don't use spincast because I don't like the way they handle big fish.<br><br>kybasser<br>"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." ~Patrick F. McManus
THIS IS VERY TRUE. ULTIMATELY, IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO WHAT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH AND WHAT TECHNIQUE AND/OR PRESENTATION YOU HAVE THE MOST CONFIDENCE IN.<br><br>