Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Trailers. License or Not?
Last summer there were several BFT members that stated that they were cited at Willard Bay for not having a license plate on their single axle boat trailers.

How did that all end?

I need to license my boat this month and I don't know if I have to also license the boat's single axle trailer.

Willard Bay was the only place that I remember reading about the problem.

For years. any single axle boat trailer didn't require a license plate.
How and when did that change?
[signature]
When I liceneced my boat it was based on the weight and size of the boat. I had to go to a truck stop and have it weighed . (This was in saint George 3 years ago) Never been an issue in SL county
[signature]
From DMV site:

Every trailer operated in Utah, including travel and tent trailers, weighing more than 750 lbs, must be titled and registered. Each trailer owner must pay a registration fee at the time of initial registration and annually thereafter.
[signature]
I emailed the DMV last year. Their response single axle does not need to be licensed.
[signature]
I have wondered if that is empty weight or loaded !! My assumption is empty, so where do you put the boat while weighing the trailer ??
if you don't go to Willard you will never have to worry about getting a ticket for no plates , heck it took them 15 years to catch me [angelic]
[signature]
I was pulled over and warned by UHP and like stated earlier anything over 750 lbs needs a id number and plate regardless if single axle or not.
[signature]
I tied my boat up to the dock at the American Fork Boat Harbor and drove my trailer to a place in American Fork (don't recall the name of it) and got it weighed. The trailer weighed just over 750 pounds, but before I had to worry about it I ended up replacing the boat and trailer.
[signature]
Yacht Club Trailer Specs
http://www.yachtclubtrailers.com/bunks/bunk-1715B.php
No Yacht club single axle trailer without brakes weighed more than 750LB. Just a rough Idea of trailer weights.

As I recall the boaters cited had 2 axle trailers, not single axle.
[signature]
Living less than 5 miles from the south marina makes Willard my go to boating spot. I have never registered any single axle trailer and never have received so much as a verbal warning. I believe the citations last year were for unlicensed double axle trailers.
[signature]
I just checked the Utah DMV site and any trailer under 750 lbs does not have to be registered.
[signature]
When I bought my boat last year, it was last registered in Arizona.
The boat and trailer both had a title.

The Utah DMV suggested that I continue to license both because states around Utah are starting to require even single axle boat trailers to be licensed. I go through Wyoming to get to the Gorge, so I went ahead and licensed both the boat and trailer.

I think that I will save the $45.00 this year and not license the trailer.
The specs for most boat trailers for boats under 18' show the trailer weight to be under 750 pounds.

I hope that I never have to find a place to weigh the trailer for proof.
[signature]
Why take a chance..Trailer registration is cheap. The citation would be a lot more.
If you travel out of state your covered..Why give law enforcement a reason to pull you over..
[signature]
Why pay them anything that you don't owe them? If you have a title for your trailer, it has the shipping weight on it.
My 17' Crestliner came with a Shore Lander trailer with brakes, winch, lights, bunks, etc. the shipping weight is 738 lbs. If you travel through or to another state you are already covered. Just like Arizona cars can be in Utah with darker tinted windows. There is no reason to be afraid of John Law.

humpy
[signature]
Totally understand were your coming from...But if you travel of Utah you risk being stopped...Out of state tinted windows get stopped all the time..

Retired LEO
[signature]
Dale, I did a quick search, using the first three words in the title of your post. I believe this will answer your question:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...se;#893549
[signature]
Humpy,

I really wonder if the 750 lbs includes the boat or not and how that would play out in the courtroom. I would think it would include the boat because it's purpose built and always carrying it. However, we don't register flat bed to include the weight of the 4-wheelers we carry. Boat trailers are rarely towed anywhere empty, so I have a hunch "the man" would interpret it as including the boat.

I'm in the same situation as you. Single axle trailer under 750 lbs empty, but well over with my boat loaded. I figure I'm in the 1500 lb range loaded. I've never been cited or even looked at by DWR/police.
[signature]
You license trailers that weigh OVER 750 lb empty, The truck is the motor vehicle that has limits on the maximum weight you can pull down the road with it's weight and what is loaded on the trailer. If your boat trailer weighs less than 750 lb empty you are good to go with the boat on it if the truck is licensed to haul that combined weight. Don't over complicate this. If the trailer weighs less that 750 lb emply no license is required in Utah.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]MA, what DL said. [Smile][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I agree that in Utah, a trailer that weighs under 750 pounds doesn't require registration.
The problem is proving that it weighs under 750 pounds.
[signature]