Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Jordanelle Fish Story
Crayfish occur naturally in the Provo Drainage. Two problems are plaguing Jordanelle and Deer Creek.

First: The crayfish population is so preyed on by the SMB and browns, they have a very hard time being viable. Similar problem at Lake Powell and Flaming Gorge, difference is there are other forage species in Powell and the Gorge to supplement the crayfish.

Second: There is a segment of the fishing public that keeps everything they catch, regardless of size, regardless of limits. Cliff's favorite mantra of a slot limit will not work unless DWR is able to better police the catch and enforce the rules. I believe that we had a slot limit at both Jordanelle and Deer Creek and it had little impact as the fishing public was not following the rules.

DWR has a very difficult time in introducing new forage into the water of Utah. Jordanelle and Deer Creek are upstream of Utah Lake and anything that goes into those waters, will eventually end up in Utah Lake. So say, they introduce emerald shinners to Jordanelle, they take hold and produce like crazy. They move downstream to Deer Creek, where they also take off. Both Jordanelle and Deer Creek have a boom in the SMB population due to the increased forage. The shinners continue their downstream migration and end up in Utah Lake, where they boom. Great you say, only now in Utah Lake they prey on the eggs and fry of the endangered June Sucker and blow that recovery plan all to hell.

Right now the only viable option for DWR to introduce a forage species in any water in Utah is to reintroduce the Utah Chub. It is native to all our waters and is still in small numbers in most of our waters. Instead of killing them off, we need to trap them in Schofield and Strawberry and move them to where a forage species is needed, Jordanelle, Deer Creek, even Utah Lake.

We don't have a lot work with, but we need to work with what we have to enhance our waters. With out an added food source, both Deer Creek and Jordan elle will continue to be marginal for size. Ask any body builder, what builds muscle, PROTEIN !!
That is about the best thing I have heard, but they had a size limit (all bass over 12" had to be released) we had good fishing and big bass till that was changed to what we have now..
[signature]
This video remind me about this topic conversation going on. [laugh]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlTOfl9F2w
[signature]
[quote BS]Any 30" Browns?

I heard the Berry has some monster smallies.[/quote]

i laughed so hard at this
[signature]
reminds me of an old saying my grandpa used to say - " he'd bitch if he was hung with a new rope".

why would anyone keep going back to a smallmouth fishery year after year where all the bass are stunted?

Reminds me of when we used to fish for stripers in the SF bay growing up, ostensibly we were there to catch stripers, but mostly we caught big stingrays and sharks where we used to fish. Point is, I think this guy likes to go to jordanelle after the big trout he catches, not the bass. The bass pursuit is just an excuse, as he wouldn't want to be caught dead going trout fishing...those lousy slimers.

SMB are known to overpopulate and stunt, especially in western drawdown reservoirs - get over it.
[signature]
"Reminds me of when we used to fish for stripers in the SF bay growing up, ostensibly we were there to catch stripers, but mostly we caught big stingrays and sharks where we used to fish."

[#0000FF]Ah yes. Mud marlin. Been there done that. No excuses needed. Much fun.

About the other...the passion for Jordanelle. It has been his "home lake" for years. Just can't let go. Like having a girlfriend that puts on too much weight, quits taking care of herself and never tries to look good again. He can't face the fact that the glory days are over...and it is not the fault of DWR.

Smallmouth can be their own worst enemies. Deer Creek is a good example. It was a great lake for largemouth for years. Lots of crawdads and baby perch. Plenty of perch...all over the lake. And the walleyes got big and plentiful. Once smallmouths got dumped in they took over. Crowded out the largies and ate all the crawdads. Then they started on the baby perch and didn't let any get big enough to repopulate the lake. Now there are very few largemouth, far too many smallmouth (small ones) and almost no perch left. And even the walleyes are fewer than before. But "some" blame that on DWR and the spear fishermen.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Ha ha, yeah...nothing like a 70 lb stingray taking off.

Deer creek, yes it had its glory years for SMB too, just like jordy - used to pull SMB up to and around 20"..for a little while. But hell, that was 15 yrs ago now. They're probly their own worst enemy, and yes, the nice DC perch are gone now as well. In my experience all over the west, smallmouth tend to stunt - probly whats really needed are some smallmouth predators in these lakes and liberal limits to thin the herd.
[signature]
[quote Watershadow] In my experience all over the west, smallmouth tend to stunt - probly whats really needed are some smallmouth predators in these lakes and liberal limits to thin the herd.[/quote]

Funny you should mention that maybe some SM predators are needed, That was exactly what they did in East canyon, they stocked wipers to keep the SM numbers in check. You just never know, maybe they can do that at Jordanelle too[cool]. That would be a win/win situation, all the way around.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Too bad the smallies don't have periodic dieoffs like the perch in some reservoirs. That would be the best remedy for bigger smallies and a healthier population of the other species as well.

But don't tell Troutrods I said so.

By the way, I have PURPOSELY fished for rays all up and down the coast. In addition to big bat rays I have also caught small round rays, butterfly rays and even a "torpedo" ray...with electric zapper. Down in the Sea of Cortez I often hunted (with spear) for the larger southern rays. They have long stingers of up to 7 or 8 inches long...not like the wimpy bat rays.

[inline "LOBOS STINGRAY.JPG"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
dang nice TD! is that you in your younger years with that ray?

I grew up on SF bay, and we caught a lot of rays out there, including some pretty big ones. they wouldn't do much but pull in a straight line, but man could they pull. might take 15, 20 minutes to land one. we got some with a 5-6' wingspan...i'm talkin back in the 70's now.
[signature]
Like for real. If you want a better fishing experience go fish at a fish hatchery. Not a 3300 acre reservoir.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah. That was when my hair had not gone back to the "blond" of my childhood days. Still brown.

I have lived and fished all up and down the coast. While I lived in Sacramento I made numerous trips to spots around SF Bay. Used to be some good mud marlin trips around San Mateo. Also hit Humboldt Bay at Arcata and Moss Landing above Monterrey. Really enjoyed some of the leopard sharks too.

When I lived in Orange County I did a lot of night fishing off Huntington and Newport Piers. Also Seal Beach. Lots of bat rays, dogfish sharks, shovelnose and spinebacks. Ahhh...the memories.

Hey, wasn't this thread about Bassrods? And what was it he was griping about...this time? Same ol' same ol'.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]