Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Utah Lake WB Report
Lately I've been wanting to "expand my fishing horizons" and try new things. So, based on the fishing reports from Utah Lake, I decided to skip out of work a few hours early and try and catch me some White Bass. I haven't been to Utah Lake in about 25 years. Not since a less than successful fishing trip with my scout troop. Either the fishing is slowing down, or I showed up on an off day (or I'm just bad at this). I caught 33 white bass in 2 hours. Actually, it was more like an hour since the first and last half hours were less than productive. So I wasn't as successful as others have been, but it was still a fun trip. I did learn a few things as well.

First, size does matter. When I first got there, I started fishing with an 1/8 ounce jig. I thought it might be a little big, but I didn't think the smaller one would cast far enough. I fished with that for 15 or 20 minutes with no luck whatsoever. I'd feel a bump now and then, but no bites. Once I switched over to the 1/32 ounce jig in the same pattern, things changed instantly. I caught one on the next cast, and the next 20 after that. The decreased casting distance didn't seem to matter since they would usually bite about 10 feet in front of me anyway.

After that, they slowed down a bit and seemed to shift about 15 feet north where someone else was fishing. After another half hour they seemed to die off altogether with only the odd nibble now an then. I ended up keeping 8 that I thought would be good for something other than hors d'oeuvres (I was wrong). But at least I got some practice filleting (still terrible at it).
I am not good at it either. Filleting a white bass is a lot of work for very little meat when you are not very good at it. It sounds like they are best used for catfish bait.[sly]
[signature]
33 white bass in two hours...how is that an 'off day'? Sounds pretty good to me.

on the filleting - these are definitely like a panfish - on the small side. I recommend for small fish like this starting from the tail end and slice right through the rib bones, stick the tail skin in your board clamp, and skin it. Slice out rib cage, that's how to get the most meat IMO.
[signature]
Definitely not complaining about the 33 I caught. But, based on the reports of people catching over a hundred in that amount of time, I was hoping for a little more. Still a fun trip, though.
[signature]