Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Campgrounds
Hi everyone,

As much as I've gotten into fishing in the past year, surprisingly, this is the first fishing forum I've signed up on. My wife and I are planning on a 3 day camping trip for the first week of August and are looking for campgrounds that have good fishing as well.

We went last year Memorial Day weekend to Eagle Valley and had a great time there, but with the hotter temps I've read trout fishing won't be as good there that time of year. I saw there's also Adams McGill only 30 minutes further than Eagle Valley. But since we haven't been there I have no idea if it's worth going there as well.

A fishing campground with trout is not a must and I would like to catch some bass as well. We are also not opposed to venturing into Utah as well, but overall we don't want to go further than 4 hrs from Las Vegas. Any suggestions? Thank you.
[signature]
Do you have a boat? If you bump your traveling time to 6 hours you have more options.
[signature]
Eagle Valley is always a blast for memorial day weekend. Last year, we caught a ton of trout, a 4.5lbs bass and lots of smaller bass. This year we didn't do too much trout fishing but caught a ton of bass around the 1lb-1.5lb range. Nothing bigger.

Adams McGill is nice. You won't catch nearly as many fish as Eagle Valley but they'll be a lot healthier. Last year we went in October and I only caught about 6 rainbows per day but none under 3lbs. The trick there is spinners and other types of lures. We were sitting out there one day with power bait for Like 6 hours with not even a bite. Just as we were going to leave I tossed out a 3" trout looking bps swim bait and burned it in as fast as I can and hooked a 3lb trout.
[signature]
[quote reellittlephish]Do you have a boat? If you bump your traveling time to 6 hours you have more options.[/quote]

I don't have a boat, so it will be mostly shore fishing, but I will have a kayak.
[signature]
[quote frankv702]Eagle Valley is always a blast for memorial day weekend. Last year, we caught a ton of trout, a 4.5lbs bass and lots of smaller bass. This year we didn't do too much trout fishing but caught a ton of bass around the 1lb-1.5lb range. Nothing bigger.

Adams McGill is nice. You won't catch nearly as many fish as Eagle Valley but they'll be a lot healthier. Last year we went in October and I only caught about 6 rainbows per day but none under 3lbs. The trick there is spinners and other types of lures. We were sitting out there one day with power bait for Like 6 hours with not even a bite. Just as we were going to leave I tossed out a 3" trout looking bps swim bait and burned it in as fast as I can and hooked a 3lb trout.[/quote]

I had a great time last year memorial day at Eagle Valley and would like to go again, but with it being hotter the beginning of August, I'm not sure if its worth the trip.
[signature]
just a thought....https://azgfdportal.az.gov/Fishing/Locations

You'd have to do some research
[signature]
I did 1 camping trip to Adams McGill (Sunnyside) and won't go back since the campground is 1-2 miles away from the lakes. Good fishing, but terrible camping. Eagle valley is good, I haven't been here in years. Cave Lake up in Ely is nice, but it's pretty much a put and take lake, good action when I was there though. Willow Beach will only be 120-freakin-degrees in August, but I would stay away from there as they don't stock trout anymore....

I would take the time and head up to Utah. You can reserve a lake-side camping spots which is really nice. Otter Creek has a bunch of lake side spots. Fish Lake is cool, temp wise too as it's at 8800'. Lots of camping there, but nothing directly on the shore, couple hundred yards isn't bad though. Panguich is nice, but I haven't camped there.
[signature]
Angel lake
[signature]
Panguitch in Utah has some of the best trout fishing I have experienced in the area. The campgrounds are just 3-4 min drive from the lake. If you go I recommend fishing from the south end along the rocks. Fishing is good through aug/sept. You can rent a patio boat from the Rocky Point dock for a reasonable amount too. But in my opinion there are too many weeds in water to troll properly.
[signature]
Panguitch is nice, you can rent a bass boat all day for $70 at Bear Paw resort. That may be at or slightly over 4 hrs from Vegas. Don't think there's any bass, just trout. Had luck on anything orange or pink...
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I may be leaning to going back to eagle valley afterall. Campground is close to the water and they have showers for the wife. Plus, if the water is too warm, I can give the bass a try as well.
[signature]
If you want good trout fishing with camping i would recommend beaver mountain in utah. There's about 8 lakes with campgrounds. Little reservoir is a favorite of mine but I'm sure you'll find one up there you like.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! Most if not all of the state parks in Utah have showers. Also many that are right on or next to the lake. Www.Stateparks.utah.gov
[signature]
I second UT. Better fishing with way cooler temps. Look at Kolob res. can camp right on the lake and catch nice fish from shore. However no showers. You also need to check the road they are doing major work and I think it is closed during certain time of the day. You can still go up the back side through Cedar City off of HWY 14.
[signature]
Welcome aboard, closevo. I have to give a +1 to Panguitch. I've alway been able to make it there in 4-4.5 hours. I've pretty much always fished from shore and had great days catching rainbows and cuttbows. Rainbow/Green/Pink glitter powerbait, earthworms, and/or mini marshamallows w/ garlic salt all seemed to do the trick. We even caught some on spoons and super dupers. They also have tiger trout.

Also in Utah, Duck Creek Pond, Aspen Mirror, and Navajo lakes are on the way up there. Lots of options and campgrounds within a short distance.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
[signature]
+1 to Kolob or Panguitch. I usually hit one of both every year. Both can be fished from shore. Both are up there in altitude and are a great break from our summer heat.

I have only been at Navajo once. Before being a boat owner. We did fine shore fishing and brought a nice batch of Rainbows home for dinner.
[signature]
Navajo was drained a couple years ago, fish may not have recovered yet...
[signature]
Navajo has been great there last few year for fishing
[signature]
Rubymountains.net
[signature]