Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, Mantua, and Hyrum Ice
Took my daughter up to see the elk at Hardware Ranch today, and did some serious lookin' at the ice. We drove past these places just after 12 noon. Here's the rundown.

Willard: No open water visible. Of course it was still a little hazy, so I couldn't see all the way across, but I doubt it has any open water. Air temp was 15 degrees. They are currently removing dirt from the north marina. I saw one trac machine, and one heavy dumptruck moving dirt out of the chanel. That will be great news for future years if the water gets that low again (lets just hope it never does).

Mantua: Saw 4 ice shacks on the pond, no open water visible. Looked like snowmobile tracks all the way across the lake. Air temp was 12 degrees.

Hyrum: Once again, no open water. Air temp was only 7 degrees. I only saw 2 people on the ice fishing, but sled tracks on the ice went out a long ways.

I'd venture to say that all three places are safe across the whole lake. Wish I would have had time to fish.

Hardware ranch was beautiful! No smog, no haze, and the temp was 33 degrees. There were some nice bulls on the ranch today...the biggest going about 340. One elk had a bum front shoulder, they said it injured it naturally, and they didn't think he would have to be put down, but he won't be a herd bull any more either. Attached is his pic while he is laying down. Not a bad bull, very wide, but not really heavy. If no coyotes get him, he'll be really nice next year. It was a great trip, and if you've never been up there, I highly recommend it. Great family outing.
[signature]
Very cool, I have piocs of a few years ago of bulls pushing each other around. I'll post them when I get home tonight
[signature]
Nice report and I always love seeing elk. You got any more bull pictures from that trip. I ain't now expert on scoring elk but you really think that is a 340 bull?
[signature]
This bull is around 300"

[Image: 076710.jpg]
[signature]
Sometimes camera angles do funny things to pictures and that bull may very well be that big but from that picture it sure looks like he has a long way to go before he even scares 340.

I'm going to Deseret on Friday, I'll post some pics if I get any good ones.
[signature]
A couple of weeks ago I was driving down Daniels canyon coming back from Red Creek and noticed a lone bull on the side hill. I pulled over and got the binos out,(even though I didnt need them how close he was) I would take a guess from my experience he would score 320, biggest bull i have seen in N. Utah!!!! He had te most beautiful 6 point rack with huge eye guards like the one in Hedged pict. They are out there, next fall I want to get one!!!!
[signature]
If I had to guess, I say he scores right about 310. I've seen HUGE bulls down on dutton, and my dad got one that was 360. He was 3rd biggest we saw. That was 3 years ago, though. Them Elk sure are some really majestic animals. I just love to get out and have a lookie at them. My little brother goes to school at the mouth of Parleys canyon. A week ago, I took up my 45 power spotting scope to look for animals while I waited for him. I saw about 30 cows, and a bull about like the one in your picture. Very, very good sight.
I decided to post a pic. of my dad's bull. Sorry-no kill shot. Some how we never manage to remember the camra....[crazy]
[signature]
Open bull hunts down south are a joke so save your money and head to the Uintah unit. Plenty of scouting and a little luck you could get a bull.

JK15 To bad you don't have a field photo but still a nice bull. Kind of hard to really get the feel for that bull with it laying down. I've seen those buck pictures you posted and they were all nice bucks.
[signature]
That bull of his was amazing. It took us 7 days of contending with muzzleloader deer hunters, but he got him. That hunt really was a joke, but I'm puttin in for it this year anyways. Maybe a rifle would be better....
He also has one other one that goes about 340 from the Manti he killed about 25 years ago. I just wish I had a better camra. Its a bit too dark where he's hung up to get the camra to focus.
[signature]
Those are great bulls. If I ever figure out how to download pictures on this thing I will put one on of a 340 bull I got with my muzzleloader on the fishlake tookme 20 years to draw the tag.. If you are at the rockport party find me I will take some pictures of it and some of the whitetails we have got in Kansas over the past few years. As a side note for you hedgesd we will have to talk someday I lived in Cedar for 5 years and really hated to leave but feeding the family came first there just were not any jobs there in those days. Done a lot of hunting, fishing, traping and chasing lions. Sure do miss that country. Well good fishing for now.
[signature]
This one isn't the bigger bull. He just had a bum wheel, so we could get really close to him. He's wide, but not heavy, and his points don't have a lot of length. He'd be lucky to go 300. I do have a pic of the bigger bull, but it's not as close. When I get home from school, I'll post a pic of the bigger bull.
[signature]
Here is a pic of the biggest one on the ranch. Not the greatest pic, but he wouldn't really cooperate[Wink]

It was nice to get out of the haze, and get close to some wildlife. Fishing would have been good, but my 3 year old doesn't have too long of an attention span[Smile] She loves to fish though.
[signature]
Here are a few from last week that were taken in the backyard. There were a total of 8 bulls, the other 5 are the downslope of the hill, and I didn't dare get too close.

Jacob
[signature]
If only I could go. My gal made me promise to go out to wendover with her and her parents for the weekend. Oh well, mabey I can hit blue lakes with her and old Tommy. I wish I could hit Rockport. I've been dying to get up there since ice-up. Maybe once I'm ungrounded at the end of February. Them elk down south sure do get to be good sized. I love hunting in them mountains down there. Good luck to ya!!!
[signature]
Thats a very cool picture. Maybe you could tie one up in the back yard and corn feed him for the elk season![Tongue] Now that would be a tasty treat. Thanks for sharing the pic.
[signature]
[size 1]The ice is great on Hyrum right now. Of course you have to put up with the cold and the polution of Cache Valley right now too if you want to fish it.[/size]

[size 1][url "http://weather.campbellsci.com/hyrumweather.htm"]Current weather at Hyrum Reservoir[/url][/size]

[size 1]I posted a pic a while back of the Elk my uncle got in 2003. Well... after legal drying time the bull was officially scored at 394 3/8 gross and 382 5/8 net. That's a big boy. Here's the pic again.[/size] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2341;][/center] [left][/left]
[signature]