Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ol Big Blue
This past week I was able to have a new experience. I met up with one of my brothers and a friend of his on this past monday and hit the big blue. He lives in Napa Valley in CA and I don't see him much. Since I had to go out to the Bay Area for work I was able to get a little extra time and make a bisit.

We started out early around 4 am for a drive through dense fog for a launch at Bo'dega Bay. Nothing like launching and cruising at full speed in the fog. The waves weren't that bad but when going against the current and wind we caught air a couple of times while traveling to the fishing grounds. We stopped at the Fort Ross area at Sunken reef north of the Russian River. We fished in anywhere from 80 feet to 16 as we drifted over the reef. We were mainly bouncing jigs off the bottom chasing the bottome dwellers. It wasn't long before I had the first hook up. I have only fished the ocean twice before and was skunked both times. This time became another story. I hooked into a black rockfish. I had several more including soon after. My brothers goal was Ling Cod. My brothers friend was pretty much dragging bottom and couldn't leace the sea cucumbers alone. He also snagged a small china, canary and a starfish.

My brother soon caught a vermillion and then hooked into a couple of Ling. His last fish of the day was a scorpion fish. I ended up with three ling cod (two being the largest of the boat) and as well as many other species.

My catch of the day:
Ling Cod (both blue and gray forms)
Cabezon
Canary Rockfish
Blue Rockfish
Black Rockfish
Olive Rockfish
Yellowtail rockfish
Gopher fish

The ocean was quite calm in the morning and both my brother and his friend mentioned that several times. By the time we got off the wind was picking up and the swells were getting huge. All in all it was a great day on the pacific, even with the day after pain. Will I do it again? Most likely... My family wants to go out next time as well.

I did attempt a little pier fishing this past week but with no luck but not knowing how certain conditions effect the fish made it more of a hit and miss for me. Next year I will be more prepared with the necessary tools to catch the fish (leopord sharks etc...) in the area of the hotel I was at.
[signature]
WOW! That's a lot of fish. Now you get to take me fishing some time there..... right?[Wink]
I like the Vermillion the best by it's color, and it's size.
[fishon]
[signature]
Great story, I grew up over there and your post brought back quite a few memories, from the fog to the fishing. That is really cool you got into the fish, and oh man is that ling cod a great table fish! Thanks again for sharing.

When fishing the piers or from shore, probably the thing to watch for most is the tide; so, growing up on the coast all of us that fished saltwater carried tide books in our tackle boxes. All the bait stores carried them, and they're just a little small book that tells each day when the tide will be at its highest and lowest points. Best fishing was always on a rising tide, sometimes at an ebb tide as well, but hardly ever at low tide.

What kind of boat did you go out in?
[signature]
Wow, that is quite a variety of fish, how big were the ling?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Nice work Kevin. Glad you got in a productive trip.

I used to love Bodega Bay when I lived in Sacramento. Hit it for salmon but usually ended up fishing for the bottom dwellers. I'd rather catch those toothsome rockfish than salmon sometimes. Especially when you get into some savage ling cod.

Some good fishing inside the bay for flounders and other species too...if the weather gets too sloppy outside.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Watershadow]Great story, I grew up over there and your post brought back quite a few memories, from the fog to the fishing. That is really cool you got into the fish, and oh man is that ling cod a great table fish! Thanks again for sharing.

When fishing the piers or from shore, probably the thing to watch for most is the tide; so, growing up on the coast all of us that fished saltwater carried tide books in our tackle boxes. All the bait stores carried them, and they're just a little small book that tells each day when the tide will be at its highest and lowest points. Best fishing was always on a rising tide, sometimes at an ebb tide as well, but hardly ever at low tide.

What kind of boat did you go out in?[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I will store it away for next years visit. My brothers boat says Neptune on it. Here is another pic of it.

[inline image.jpg]
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Wow, that is quite a variety of fish, how big were the ling?[/quote]

The minimum size you could keep are 22". The largest beat that by alot. This is the pic of it. Not the best angle but you can see there is some size to it.

[inline DSCN2096.JPG]
[signature]
There were some kings running around out there but not many being caught. Some of these bottom dwellers really put up a fight, especially the lings.
[signature]
Oh, I thought that fish gripper was one of those that also weighed the fish, must not be the case[:/].
[signature]
It is I just didn't look at it.
[signature]
Also where I was attempting to pier fish there were:

Lots of small bait fish
Leopard shark
Bat rays
Possible stripers
Many others
[signature]
nice boat, nice fishing story. thanks. used to be the favorite bait over there was pile worms...anchovies and squid ok, but man, they really go for the pile worms.
[signature]
What a awesome trip. The 20 years I lived in San Diego I only went out a couple times. Sure wish I had taken better advantage of that time looking back.
[signature]
I hope to be able to do it again next year. The family wants to go out and visit their uncle now for vacation. I still have 20 years before I can retire so I will have plenty of chances for some pier fishing. My brother says they may move back to Utah in two years so time is limited there.[:/]
[signature]
Great trip and report. Well it looks like we were at Bodega Bay around the same time. I was there Monday the 8th. We trolled around for half the day looking for salmon but didn't find any and also only heard of one caught on the radio. The day before we heard more salmon were found, but I think they were few and far between. The other half of the day was spent fishing the bottom the same as you. We also threw out a few crab pots and caught 8 keepers. I caught 2 keeper lings, one was 30 inches. I also caught a number of the other species you listed, including a nice size cabezone.

Attached are some pics.
[signature]
Definitely there the same day. We probably passed each other. We heard as well only one salmon was caught.
[signature]