Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something new for my repertoire...a great day on the water.
This is a report from when I went out on the Pacific on monday June 8.

This past week I was able to have a new experience. I met up with one of my brothers and a friend of his on this past monday and hit the big blue. He lives in Napa Valley in CA and I don't see him much. Since I had to go out to the Bay Area for work I was able to get a little extra time and make a visit.

We started out early around 4 am for a drive through dense fog for a launch at Bo'dega Bay. Nothing like launching and cruising at full speed in the fog. The waves weren't that bad but when going against the current and wind we caught air a couple of times while traveling to the fishing grounds. We stopped at the Fort Ross area at Sunken reef north of the Russian River. We fished in anywhere from 80 feet to 16 as we drifted over the reef. We were mainly bouncing jigs off the bottom chasing the bottome dwellers. It wasn't long before I had the first hook up. I have only fished the ocean twice before and was skunked both times. This time became another story. I hooked into a black rockfish. I had several more including soon after. My brothers goal was Ling Cod. My brothers friend was pretty much dragging bottom and couldn't leace the sea cucumbers alone. He also snagged a small china, canary and a starfish.

My brother soon caught a vermillion and then hooked into a couple of Ling. His last fish of the day was a scorpion fish. I ended up with three ling cod (two being the largest of the boat) and as well as many other species.

My catch of the day:
Ling Cod (both blue and gray forms)
Cabezon
Canary Rockfish
Blue Rockfish
Black Rockfish
Olive Rockfish
Yellowtail rockfish
Gopher fish

The ocean was quite calm in the morning and both my brother and his friend mentioned that several times. By the time we got off the wind was picking up and the swells were getting huge. All in all it was a great day on the pacific, even with the day after pain. Will I do it again? Most likely... My family wants to go out next time as well.

I did attempt a little pier fishing this past week but with no luck but not knowing how certain conditions effect the fish made it more of a hit and miss for me. Next year I will be more prepared with the necessary tools to catch the fish (leopord sharks etc...) in the area of the hotel I was at.
[signature]
Glad you finally hooked up. Yes big difference when you have a boat to get to the fish. Now you know why we go on the big salty. [fishon]
[signature]
My family wants me to take them out there next year for vacation. I am still recuperating. One of my knees still hurts from all the continual wave action.
[signature]
Nice catching bro. I see you picked up a Sugar Star fish and a Vermillion Rock fish too.[cool]
[signature]
My brother caught the vermillion and his friend caught the star fish as well as many sea cucumbers.
[signature]
How deep were you fishing? From the pics, it looks like less than 20 fathoms. Some of the better Vermillions are in the 40 to 60 fathom range. [cool]
[signature]
From what I saw on the FF we were any where from 16' to 80' as we drifted. Most came from 40' or less.
[signature]
That make sense with the smaller Rockies and Cab Drivers as well as star fish. I will sometimes float tube in 100' or less. Most of my Halibut fishing is in 40' or less.

I have a few kelp beds that I fish from the tube and catch Calico Bass or Sport Coats as we call them and nice Sheephead and Yellowtail show up in the area too. They put a good stretch on the string. Smile
[signature]
Argh all this talk about salt water fishing HD given me an itch that I can't scratch until June.[:/] oh. Well, I will have to pour through all my catalogs until then. Only problem is its liable to get expensive.[sly]

I enjoyed my time on the pacific and hooked me. [Smile] now to start planning my vacations next year.....
[signature]
One of the Utah members, Jed Burton, used to come out twice a year to visit. He ended up getting assigned to go to school out here. He has stayed and now has a resident fishing license for the past 3 years now. I fish with him in some fresh but mostly saltwater. He adapted very well. [cool]
[signature]