Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live Perch minnows for bait?
Is it true that we can now use live perch minnows for bait? Or is this just another incorrect answer posted by F&G? I’m guessing the second option!
Rod
Question:
what are the laws on using loaches (an invasive species ) alive or dead, for catfish bait?
Answer:
You can use dead loach for bait when fishing for catfish. You can not use live bait (unless it's a yellow perch or crayfish captured on that water) for fishing in Idaho.
[signature]
Using live fish for bait is still prohibited. Page 50 of the rule booklet states:

"Note: Use of live fish, leeches, frogs, salamanders, waterdogs or shrimp as bait is prohibited in Idaho, except that live crayfish may be used if caught on the body of water being fished."

Lots of people get Confused by this. Yellow perch and crayfish are the only game fish that can be taken and retained by trapping or seining (page 51). However, only crayfish can be used live as bait on the water where they were caught. Dead perch are OK.

Thank you for pointing out this error on the Ask Fish and Game website. I have corrected that answer to avoid misleading anglers in the future. We get a lot of questions and sometimes we make mistakes.

Here is a link to the correct answer:
https://fishgame.idaho.gov/content/quest...tfish-bait

Good luck on your next catfishing trip.

Martin Koenig
Idaho Department of Fish and Game
Sport Fish Program Coordinator
[signature]
Hey welcome to the site IDFG Martin. Thanks for correcting that response so quick.

Rod
[signature]
X2. Thanks for correcting that. It sure didn't sound right to me.

Perhaps you could give some insight into the reason. I'm for following the law, but I'd sure like to use live bait and I don't understand why it not allowed as long as it is caught in the same waters similar to how crayfish is allowed.

Also, welcome to the site.
[signature]