Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing buddy drama, as the bobber turns
Anybody else just give up on finding a buddy, and just go alone? I have lost count on the folks who claim to love fishing, yet when we go they are far more interested in the dang cell phone and what time it is!!

no bites in 10mins and this place sucks blah blah,
Sorry to rant, but it just gets depressing sometimes.

This last Monday after much prep work on my new to me boat I took a fish nut, lasted a whole 2hrs. while we pulled into the dock I noticed a younger guy fishing his guts out off the dock.

I was very tempted to send fish nut on his way and walk over and ask that young guy if he wanted to go try out there,

Then I realized that if any thing were to happen he might sue my arse off so I thought better of it.

Oh well as I said, sorry to rant, just frustrating is all
maybe I am just a sucker when folks say how much they enjoy fishing then turn out to be full of hot air,

Starting to think TD has the right idea about maybe I will share some water with you in the general area
[signature]
Sold my boat last year, I know WB pretty damn well, I can wait out the slow spells and I don't grumble about gas money. Any other questions?
[signature]
I upgraded my fishing buddy about a month and a half ago. Haven't regretted a single minute!
[signature]
I am a long way from you (in Price) just retired and waiting on my pension payout at the moment, I don't care about the gas much. Never been to WB long way for a broke guy right now. I have thing for wipers at the moment and they are available less than 20mi away,
some pretty nice ones too! I just need to figure out how to fish that lake. I will be willing to try WB when I get some $
keep in mind my boat is a 14ft very similar to the tin can,

so weather is always a factor
[signature]
Good idea!
No complaining or cell phone
[signature]
Dogs, either they are great on the boat, or its heck. Looks like dealing with that pup is low maintenance.

Sorry to hear your buddy experience went sour.[:/]
[signature]
Actually slayer its been many incidents of the same old stuff, I am done with this subject.
Just had to hit the release valve for a sec, sorry about that.
I just will go alone and maybe meet someone who actually wants to go sometime, or just become the hermit of the lake.
Not that big a deal right now, I was just being frustrated at constant B.S.

I don't mind going alone one bit, but have always been a sucker for trying to help out what I thought was a fellow fish person.

I feel stupid for even bringing up the subject, just figured many have had the same experience as I have lately.

Heck maybe I smell bad or something nuff said
[signature]
[#0000FF]There is an old saying that you never really know somebody until you are married to them. I amend that to read...or go fishing with them.

I have "endured" a lot of new fishing buddies over the years. So I developed this "Fishing Buddy Application".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I have fished with a lot of people over the years. At least 100 members of BFT have fished from my various boats. There have only a handful of my fellow anglers from this fishing forum and a few other fishing forums that I did not enjoy their company. On the other hand, I have also taken several others fishing who hadn't been fishing for a long time (or ever in a few instances), and said that they wanted to go fishing with me. There are only a handful of these guys that I would invite to go fishing again. My experience is that in general those who really want to fish are already frequently fishing and those who aren't already frequently fishing just think that they want to go fishing.

That said, it has also been my experience that many anglers enjoy fishing but only enjoy fishing for a few hours each trip. Always a good idea to let folks know, before they are headed out with you, what time you leave to go fishing and how late you may be fishing.
[signature]
I actually prefer fishing and hunting alone. I feel like I am way more serious about it and other people don't enjoy going with me. I don't really go fishing to relax, I go to catch fish. Just like anything, you have to work at it to be successful, and the harder you work, the more successful you will be. Most people go fishing to get away and put their feet up for a minute. Not me, I'm addicted and know there is a bigger one out there that I can find if I just try a little harder! lol
I will say though, the only thing better than fishing alone and finding that big fish is fishing with your family and watching your kid reel in the catch of the day!
[signature]
Ditto! In every respect.
[signature]
I personally like fishing and hunting with the MRS. as she usually kicks my butt at both and I know we will end up taking some fish or game home to eat. [:p]
[signature]
Yeah, additional family members do increase your bag limit...
and just so you catch and release guys don't jump all over me, yes, we only take what we will use and we never waste wild game or fish!
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl] ... in general those who really want to fish are already frequently fishing and those who aren't already frequently fishing just think that they want to go fishing.[/quote]

Boy, ain't that the truth! Well said Kent.

And to everyone else, if you ever plan to fish with Kent, plan on a LONG day as he always gets his gas money's worth!

--- Coot ---
[signature]
Hahahahahah....lol...Pat I still have that application on my computer at home from the last time you posted it...I think it is Hi- lar -i- uss .....[sly]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
HD, you got it pretty close to my same feeling. I haven't hunted in probably 30 years, nothing against it, just haven't done it in a long time. I think being on active military duty, moving all over the country and the world for 20 years made it difficult to get into a regular hunting habit and collect all the gear one needs. On the other hand, it was plain dead simple to pack a collapsing ultra light rod and spinning reel, and a small collection of tackle in a duffel bag and take it with me where ever I went. I didn't always get to use it, but I had it if the chance was presented.
And though the reasons are somewhat different, I fish most of the time alone also. I do use fishing as a "get away" from all the drama throughout the week. I enjoy meeting and shooting the breeze with a fellow angler (like I did last Saturday at UL with MSM1970) but for the most part I fish alone or with one of my sons.
And you got the right idea about watching your kid(s) reel in a fish. From the first one they ever caught to the ones caught since, I always get a rush watching them truly enjoy something that takes more thought and physical effort that tapping keys or a screen with their thumbs..............[:/]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Boy,I know how you feel! It sucks when you finally get some time to go, buy the food and gas and bait, get there with a mind to spend an ENTIRE day (or night in many of my cases), and then have whomever you brought with fish for maybe a 1/2 hour and stop and screw around while they wait for you to finish fishing. It never ends well when that happens and I find myself in a worse frame of mind then I was in before I got to go fishing. I fish to relax, but also I intend/expect to catch fish and though I may seem diehard to those that go with me, it is MY way to relax!

The problem I have though is that I really enjoy fishing with others more than alone. If I catch a big fish, or something sticks out as spectacular about a fishing trip, I would rather have some one to share the memory with then have nobody to remember it with. Same goes for hunting. I can fish alone if needs be and thoroughly enjoy myself, but it seems more complete with a fishing chum or two to spend the day with.

I've only got a very small pool of fishing buddies (2 or 3) to choose from that can last the day with me and not spend it worrying about the time and screwing with their phone. I love fishing with my kids, but even they get tired of it way before me.

Maybe I'M the one who needs therapy![Wink]
[signature]
My fishing buddy goes everywhere I go but doesn't get in the boat. He also constantly reminds me to fish. Little upkeep, no food or complaints.
[signature]
I consider myself to be very fortunate. I have never had that problem.

BLK
[signature]
Holy smokes! never expected much response, must be a fairly common dilemma, thanks for all the pearls of wisdom.
And its true instead of coming home relaxed and happy
I came back frustrated and Angry. My wife met me at the door and asked how did it go with your boat honey?
I grumbled something like better just not to ask.

Now I understand about maybe having a short relaxing trip as long as we get to actually fish.
or even a marathon trip if its called for. But something about a buddy talking at the top of his lungs about his divorce of years ago sets me nerves on edge.

I despise when they don't even wet a line and just blab about personal stuff. I darn near jumped overboard when the subject of my old job came up.

I wanted to get the point across that hey I retired!
don't care about it, I am replaced life goes on drop it please.

Shoot there I go again, Oh well in the future I will be alone or very cautious, Almost embarrassed to go back there, I am sure the folks on shore now know he thinks his ex is a big fat Jezebel.

Well enough of this, a lot of good comments to think about, The downside is that now I am thinking about my trip to Montana with a "buddy along" who chipped in a cup of coffee on the entire trip. grrrr.

Yep you guessed it, we are no longer close. Ah people are strange.

Well thanks for the advice, hope to meet some of you sometime out there.
[signature]